Thread: UK Broadband users angry over download limits

Default UK Broadband users angry over download limits

Subcribers to UK based broadband provider Ntl are furious over the company's decision to impose download limits on its broadband service from "unlimited" to 1 gigabyte per day. I feel their pain, i would be angry too.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2744581.stm
    However internet service providers and even Universities find it difficult copping with P2P applications consuming a significant portion of their bandwidth, i'm wondering what effect p2p applications are having on local ISPs? I can see them using the same excuse to limit/block P2P access over their network.
    P.S Could someone associated/have "contacts" with any local ISP tell us what's the word on this P2P issue, enlighten us please.

Default Re:UK Broadband users angry over download limits

Initial checks some time ago with some ISP "contacts" have turned up nothing. They weren't approached by anyone/organisation regarding restricting p2p access nor did they have any policies regarding restricting p2p access.

Even though the UWI is not a commercial ISP, they have restricted access to p2p sites/servers and other websites. This was because of the heavy traffic to these sites by on-campus users.

I suspect that until broaband becomes more available and popular in Jamaica, the broadbaned ISPs will have little need to institute restrictions.

[quote author=Chris link=board=1;threadid=439;start=0#msg3202 date=1044919701]
    Initial checks some time ago with some ISP "contacts" have turned up nothing. They weren't approached by anyone/organisation regarding restricting p2p access nor did they have any policies regarding restricting p2p access.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info Chris, finally i can put my concerns to rest. 8)

[quote author=DarkAngel link=board=1;threadid=439;start=0#msg3219 date=1044996805]
    Thanks for the info Chris, finally i can put my concerns to rest. 8)
    [/quote]

Hold on DarkAngel .... don't take my checks with my contacts as the authoritative and conclusive checks. I'm sure others might get more info from their contacts. So if I were you I'd hold off putting my concerns to rest ;D