Thread: What of C#??

Default What of C#??

This forum should be about C,C++ and C# but i notice that i have seen no mention of C#. Its not unique to this site. It is quite difficult to source info on c# anywhere on the web. The language has been obscurely introduced by MacroSoft, and seemed to be a secret product available only to a few. There is hardly any code | tutorial to download.

I am interested in anything C... even if from MacroSoft, and as such i would like to learn C#.

If anyone sees this post and uses | has info on | is learning C# please give me a response about your experience with the language, or general tips on where to start on the C# journey.

Default Re:What of C#??

visit go-mono.com for pointers

I don't know where you've been looking buddy, but C# is alive and well. You will NEVER be able to wade thru all the content out there for C#. Mind you, the tool is still juvenile when compared with other MS development products, vis-a-vis C++, VB, FoxPro or Access that are entrenched in the development community and have the scars to prove it. If you are in JA, I can't speak to the "reach-out-and-touch" resources available there, but the stores here in the US are brimming with all things C# (mind you, albeit some 1.0 rehash). But trust me, my brother, the content is voluminous.

Let's keep it simple for now try: msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp and gotdotnet.com (which is really the same), it's MS sponsored.

I've been using it for over two years now, and haven't gone hungry yet from lack of C#-centric work (yes, the market forces are there, I'll keep it real). C# does wonders in the
    WinForms world (my preference) and WebForms coding is very good. Classic ASP 2.0/3.0 is done! The CompactFramework (CF) is a whole basket case in itself, i.e. things like complex Bitmap manipulations require you to get waist-deep in GDI+ classes (shudder) I hope v 1.2x or 2.0 is really improved. I love C#, it's got a good future ahead and only time will tell.

Check it out and holler back. I'll expect nothing less than to hear that your concerns have been unfounded.

Have a good one.

I don't know where you've been looking buddy, but C# is alive and well.
    so i've noticed over the past two weeks. ;D
    But i can't help but noticing that it has not gotten the level of promotion Java got on its inception.

thanks pigeonflight ...
    visit go-mono.com for pointers
    this link was very helpful. I am a student programmer and just hate doing my development on the Windows platform this OSource tools allows me to bypass using windos to develop and test my C# code.

So far i am liking the concept of C# and the .NET infrastructure moving programming to the stage of being platfrom neutral (i know Java started the process) but .NET it seems are perfecting it. The concept of having so diversed language compiling to the same executable format and being able to interact with is quite novel and will definitely give Java a run for its money.

YaGGa~2 you may also want to check out :

DotGNU Project

microsoft has always been the best supplier of help for their platforms. look to them for the answers.

Default Re: What of C#??

This may be very late but if you look for c# u will find it... and the M$ site has all examples in VB.net and C#

try googling c# tutorial

Default Re: What of C#??

I’m not sure where u have been looking but I have found many documentation on c# on the internet. Also there is an API documentation that comes with the sdk that u get from microsoft. Just go to google and type c# it would take u all day jus to see the results it comes up with.

In response to yagga2k reply...
    “So far i am liking the concept of C# and the .NET infrastructure moving programming to the stage of being platfrom neutral (i know Java started the process) but .NET it seems are perfecting it.”

I don’t think that microsoft intends to make this platform truly cross platform as java. Its a marketing strategy that they have adopted to lure developers to the .NET platform and ultimately to windows. There has been a small subset of the language that have been standardized by the ECMA I think they call this the BCL (Base Class Libraries).

The Mono project developed by Novel is still in its infancy stage an is nowhere as useful as the microsoft .NET platform. This may give programmers interested in C# an alternative to windows but I would think hard and twice before I decide to use these alternatives in fear that microsoft will litigate the hell out of them. Currently I am trying to develop cross platform C# application for the windows and Linux platform and its much the same as using standard C, making use of the directives to tell different parts of your code to compile differently.

Right now I still think that java is superior when it comes to cross platform development. If I am going to write an application strictly for windows then I would consider developing it in C#.