Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling Game programmers

Default Re: Calling Game programmers

OK I am trying to start a little bike game that I would distribute some of the code, and the rest as binary. I am still working on the physics but I am almost done. Already have a collision library. They are really short code, and are .cpp .obj file in C++ and require DX8 libraries. I would like any kind of input on the game as it developed. And I would explain the ideas behind the game. I will try to write the code with as much data encapsulation, so the u could switch the rendering from Opengl to directx, since this is separate from the physics of the game.

As for www sites, SourceForge is good for download all sorts of projects. U choose the language, the game genre, and boom download.

Below is also a nice demo and u do not need DX8 SDK. It is high level C++ encapsulation of the physics used in games and the rendering. The demo includes source and is about 3 MB, cool.
    http://www.3impact.com/index.htm
    Browse the site for tutorials
    Or at least run the Demo alone

The problem in it is u can only use the files that are given, which is a car and a piece of land basically.

But if u have the bandwidth u can do it, and running it would give u a basic idea of the physics in games, which can let u do a lot more.

U said art and thats what i like, after seeing how square eniz designs ther characters, it just immediately dingles in my head how they could make it better, i think i'd make a great beta tester
    LOS-iX--ASROCKZ77 PRO4+||INTEL i5 3570K||2x CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 8GIG DDR3 1600Mhz ||ATI RADEON HD 5770 1GB GDDR5||BL-LG 16X DVDRW||XTECH 600WATT PSU||Seagate 120GIG SSD||24" RCA LCD TV/MONITOR||Seagate 160GIG SATA||
    Life an Eternal Mask of Illussion---->IGN: Triple6/ Techlos

Art is somethimg I cant do fi save my life. I can draw but when it comes to the mouse and keyboard, mi bitz things up, neither can I find problems in a game design. Me coming with a thing still.

I am willing to help out too. I have experience in C and C++(Good at C). I'm not familiar with the other stuff u know, but i am willing to learn. I'm currently reading an ebook on programming using Direct X 9. It confusing, but i am determine to learn. Help me out and i will help you. How do i contact u. Really Interested!!

Just started a yahoo group for jamaican game developers, as soon as I upload some code to it I will post the link to it.

The core of writing games is simple. I am sure you are adept at it. As long as you are fluent in writing searches and loops, you can write detail implementations of functions. And if you are capable of function calling, then you can layout the plan for a game, object orientation use makes this easier.

DirectX, by itself, is hard to learn. And I would skip learning that, and understand the principle of it, then modify a sample program.
    Rendering principle
    You got a bunch of vertices (3d points) that form up a mesh (connected 3d points).
    Let us say that the mesh represents a bike, you can move the bike around. You do this by associating a position attribute to the bike, and then modify the position. After setting a new position value of your bike, you are ready to render it. You now need a camera position of where you want the view to be taken. Pass the camera position, the bike position, and the bike mesh to the render function. This will subsequently be calculated with other parameters to form your display list. The render function figures out how to render your mesh and it creates a 2d bitmap image. Automatically the image is passed to the display. Next update your bike position, and repeat. You will then see the bike moving in the screen.
    *I left out the gore and confusing stuff.

3D Game Knowledge
    Some basic geometric mathematics would be necessary. Plus some basic physics. Plus a lot of testing.
    I have concentrated on these sections and I have worked out a lot of physics and geometry so I would share them.

@psybuck2002us
    Do you have any particular question?
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in game development here I figured the interested people would find this link very interesting

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/pro...es/enginuity1/

it is a presently on going tutorial series on how to write a game engine featuring code an explainations and a forum to discuss what is being talked about in the tutorial. The other also posts his email addy so that you can contact him with questoins if you cant get them answered in the forum.

I am a C, C++, Java, programmer. I'm willing to learn new programming languages and graphics design for game programming. count me in.
    Are there any good graphics tutorials out there?
    Praise Ye JAH

Quote Originally Posted by kev1_mc
    I am a C, C++, Java, programmer. I'm willing to learn new programming languages and graphics design for game programming. count me in.
    Are there any good graphics tutorials out there?
    Well you first have to start asking yourself what are you most interested in. Game development is a huge thing and gets exponentially bigger as the goals get bigger and more complex. There is base game engine design/implementation, Graphics engine desgin/implementation, character design/implementation, artwork, music, level design/implementation.... the list goes on.

If your a graphics person then there is directX and there open GL. Personally I favour openGL since you can write multiplatform games alot easier. once you have decided then you need to brush up on your geometry. Dependent on what part of game development your interested in you may need more or less of an understanding of geometry (if your writting a graphics engine then you need to master geometry if you plan on just designing characters then you probably dont need any).

The best starting point for your game development dreams/aspirations is
    http://www.gamedev.net
    they have tons of articles and book reviews and discussion forums to ask questions.

That's some good advice.

I am an 'under the hood' physics engine kind of guy. I want to write my own physics engine as a hobby and then use it in more than one simulation games, 'over the hood'.

My artwork stinks.

So is my level design.

I can get by with the display, OpenGL or Directx, I just use (download) existing projects. Writing a physics engine and using it to simulate a real world, are my main problems. Take note that not all games are simulation, most in fact do not require real physics. This is just my area of interest.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Any young person interested in game development can read my article at

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz...rogrammer_.asp

also you can take a look at

http://gamedev.net