Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling Game programmers

Default Calling Game programmers

Sometimes I get the feeling that i'm the only game programmer in jamaica. But if you thought the same or know people who like to write games and not just play them. Could you tell them to respond to this post. I'm a C/C++, Win32, DirectX game programmer. Working a 2d project now, I have done extensive reading and code practise with 3d concepts, but not yet ready to go all out on a 3d project until i write a few more 2d games. Games, I realize are major projects. So if I could start a jamaican community of game programmers I think would be beneficial to all who game program. I have tons of ideas for jamaican base games, including a jamaican 2d car racing game, with maps modelled off jamaican roads.

So far I've managed some really easy games on my own, the usually grime, like tetris, snake, pacman. Yeah, yawn* boring!. I know. Right now I'm planning to add some network capability to them. I have managed to get people playing snake.

Anyways, if you like to game program. Or want to start, or have game ideas. Anything! Just respond to this post

Default Re:Calling Game programmers

I wouldn't call myself a game programmer, although I used to write text adventure games, many years ago, but I think I have something to contribute. If you manage to start a game programming community then count me in.

Hey count me in if u need a character designer.

question do you guys plan make yuor skills marketable or is tihs jsut a hobby?

At this current time, because of lack of funds and time, and more importantly the lack of a dedicated team to work with. Game programming is solely a hobby. But I do have plans to make it marketable. Infact, all games that I currently work on finishing I plan to but on a CD and distribute as freeware as move towards going commercial. But as you can imagine it takes some time to write good games, especially with work and with my other freelance contracts.

But im definitely moving towards starting a jamaican game development consortium or community because I believe we have much creativity. Maybe we just lack the skill and expertise

hey yow lex ... y u neva tell me bout what u was up to .... u know i would hav linked up with that long time ..... yeh i think this is great idea just need to put some time and skillz in it..... count me in .....

Default Re: Calling Game programmers

hey alexdevmaster, have you ever done work using OpenGL because although you are starting with 2D i guess you will want to migrate to 3D soon. My friends and I are starting a 3D shell for windows.
    He who hesitates, dies.

I also thought I was the only one interested in game programming. Especially since I have been looking for work in Jamaica, as one, with no luck. So I am learning it as a hobby. I made some attempts to create a game without success. Anyways, I want to see what this gamer's programming club would look like.

You can count me in. I would share what I know in 3d…. Honestly, it is very tough for me, but I have nuff years experience. I practice MS DirectX SDK in C++ and import 3d Models. I plan to do a StarFox clone on a network for my own use. If you ever played StarFox, I am talking only about the multiplayer mode. But first, I will create a single player version with some enemy AI…. Alas, I am no good with 2d…. Tetris was my favourite game once…. I have seen OpenGl and other stuff…. Anyways, contact mi email when nuff people come. So far I have time and boring contract work.

I don't have experience in game programming but I'm a quick learner and want to start.

Umm... where do I start?
    "If I aint gonna be part of the greatest, I gotta be the greatest myself" - Busta Rhymes