Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What should I look for in a Gaming rig?

Ran 3dmark05 at 1024X768 AA
    3DMark Score 6164 3DMarks Game Tests
    GT1 - Return To Proxycon 28.0 FPS Game Tests
    GT2 - Firefly Forest 17.6 FPS Game Tests
    GT3 - Canyon Flight 30.4 FPS Game Tests

Nice score there, I personally think u ought to be getting higher scores(I could be wrong) I got 3827 with a 6600GT in 3DMark05. I think if I had two of them in SLI mode I would have beaten that... SLI gives a 90% increase in performance.

EDIT

I just saw your mobo ASUS SLI... why did u get that? I think that was a waste of cash...
    Last edited by FE4R; Jun 6, 2005 at 06:06 AM.

digimon Guest

a typical Gaming rig:

a pci-express motherboard
    AMD athlon 64 CPU (anyone, cuz u will hardly see the difference)
    a pci-express card (typically 1GHZ Memory speed with 256 MB Ram, like a 6800GT)
    1GB ram
    160GB hard drive or 2x 120GB SATA

a 17"+ CRT monitor -> LCD wont show the rightful colors..even with a high contrast ratio..

keyboard, mouse and a case with generic 500W PSU , or a brandname 400W
    Last edited by digimon; Dec 29, 2005 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by digimon
    a 17" CRT monitor -> LCD wont show the rightful colors
    What kind of LCDs have you been looking at? And you if must get a crt for a gaming rig don't get none smaller than 19".

AMD athlon 64 CPU (anyone, cuz u will hardly see the difference)
    Lies

a 17" CRT monitor -> LCD wont show the rightful colors
    More Lies

generic 500W PSU , or a brandname 400W
    You can gwaan trust your GeForce 6800GT as well as your Athlon 64 processor to a generic 500W PS...and btw a brand name PSU can still be a POS

Regards,
    OE
    Last edited by OE; Dec 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM.
    /insert witty comment [here]...

Quote Originally Posted by proro
    What kind of LCDs have you been looking at? And you if must get a crt for a gaming rig don't get none smaller than 19".
    i think he meant that lcds capable of gaming without ghosting usually show 16.2 million colors instead of the 16.7 (some bit something, 8-bit, 16-bit yada yada)

not sure what he meant by 1ghz core speed for graphics card

digimon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OE
    Lies

More Lies

You can gwaan trust your GeForce 6800GT as well as your Athlon 64 processor to a generic 500W PS...and btw a brand name PSU can still be a POS

Regards,
    OE

ok, let me explain. based on my experience an AMD 64 3000+ VS a 4000+ in a GAMING setup...u wont see much difference...Reason? with a good GPU, the stress is removed from the CPU and thus the CPU has far less work to do.

the only time u will see the difference is when certain games are programmed for certain instruction to be calculated by the CPU and not the GPU because of the scence being rendered.

hey, try redering a scene in 3dMAXstudio with a sis video card and
    the same scene using a 9800pro with the same system and u see what we talking. remember, is games we talking bout here inuh, not Servers or DAW's/DVW's

LCD vs CRT.....Get a 400:1 Contrast ratio LCD and put it against a CRT showing the same picture and u SHALL see the difference. Liquid crystal just aint got the TRUE color ability that the CRT has.

u wont see this unless u do a study for yourself.

try http://www.cheap-lcd-monitor.com/lcd...t-monitors.htm for a comparison of the two

As far as power supplies go, do u think your system really uses 500W of power at any given time? nope. and btw, most of those ratings are not really 500Ws so u if u buy a Generic supply at 500W, then u getting about 350W steady. As for the Brand name ones, like Antec and Thermal-Take..u get a more realistic power rating.

say your Graphics Card uses about 100W
    (100W MAX for 6800GT and 96W MAX for 6600GT F.Y.I, here is a table to help u http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...idia_total.gif)

and for CPU, the Atlhon 64 fx San Diego uses 104 Watts max

so we gone about 200 W already...
    now lets put Peripherals into play.

1 hard drive... 13W
    DVD-RW about little lower, 11W.
    Motherboard and other cards - 80W the most for that setup.

see, it only a bob the 350W mark...

Now, knowing that if u buy a 350W PSU for a system that is drawing 350W...u know it ago bun up right people? yes. so buy a 500W then and use 80% of it's power = 400Ws and u cant go wrong...

real meat of the matter
    the real thing to watch when buying a PSU is the amperage output

5+V amperage
    3+V amperage
    and
    12+ V amperage

these ratings must be good enough to power a gaming system

as for my Generic 450 PSU, i'm getting

28A
    50A
    and 18A respsectively

yes, the cheaper brands probably nuh build to last and will go bad...but dont they all? brand name and Generic?

and to be honest, nuff more brand name bun up over Generic.
    last month my bredrin put in a thermal take 550W in him system. it never tek 3 minutes for it to go boom.

Conclusion

people build different machines for different purposes. and for a gaming rig, u dont really need an FX-57 in your machine. Dont listen to the manufacturers. Listen to the Benchmarks done by people like you and me.

nuff said digimon, i have been absent for quite sometime with changes in location and so on. But I do agree with wat u said. So wat has all the people in here been up with thier gamin rigs, new inflow of new parts, are they better? wew know they mostly are faster do we need it. I jus shootin **** to the wind but give ur take

Well....the I have a evga 6600 gt...plan to go SLI soon....

Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe....

Nuh know which processor yet...

And ofcourse gonna have 2 gigs of RAM.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

hey technic... why 2gbs? what performance increases do you expect to see? and what games you plannin to run?
    Do nothing which is of no use.
    The Way is in Training.