Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What should I look for in a Gaming rig?

Default What should I look for in a Gaming rig?

I'm a noobz but LOVE playing games in all the gaming centres I've been to... I've now JUST gotten a decent paying job and want to get an "OFFICIAL" gaming rig...

What should I look for? Just the latest thing out there? or should I be looking for key combinations?

- that's the case, lets see what we come up with. How would you advise this user? LCD or CRT? / RAID or one huge Drive? / what the heck is SCSI and why should I or shouldn't I use it?

holla at me guys.

Default Re:What should I look for in a Gaming rig?

GodKid ???

Anyways....

Memory - lots and lots of it
    Good Video Card - 128Mb DDR
    Monitor - CRT (If you really want to see to true colors as designed for the game).
    Hard Drive - RAID (multiple hard drives). When one Crashes you have another. Also you have can use a hard drive for dumping you game images on. Allows for easy mounting.

How much are you willing to spend? $$$ is the determining factor when purchasing a Gaming rig.

If you are blessed enough to have money to burn then might I suggest the following:

Athlon 64 3800+
    Epox EP-9NDA+
    OCZ PC3200 DDR400 1024MBx2 CAS2.5
    Western Digital 74GB S-ATA, 10K RPM X 2 (RAID 0)
    Western Digital 250GB S-ATA, 7200 RPM
    Plextor 12X DVD-/+RW
    52X CDRW & DVD Combo Drive
    Antec TRUE550 550 Watt ATX12V
    ATI Radeon X800 XT PE
    Lian Li PCV2000

And for the ultimate gaming monitor...

The 2018XLQ delivers Real-Depth 3D™ visualization at the lowest cost ever for a display of this size and quality.
    http://www.dti3d.com/Products/dti_2018xlq.htm

Well, maybe not the ultimate gaming monitor, but it is kinda cool still.

Make sure watever case you buy looks pretty with lights and stuff so u can show off ;D : trust me a pretty case always mek people remember you.

That system by OE would work but just rememebr it has to be pretty

[quote author=Skillachi link=board=11;threadid=4342;start=0#msg39800 date=1086275725]
    Make sure watever case you buy looks pretty with lights and stuff so u can show off ;D : trust me a pretty case always mek people remember you.

That system by OE would work but just rememebr it has to be pretty
    [/quote]

Will these do?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Mommy they won't stop teasing me!!!!!

Jah now star. Mi tempted fi bruk miself an get a system like that.

@Nas - this wasn't for me, but for a noobz that not sure what to do or get...

@OE - DAMN!!! dat soun neat still... gimme some WHYs tho

Guys.. explain your choices please.. maybe even some comparison charts.

[quote author=GodKid link=board=11;threadid=4342;start=0#msg39909 date=1086305158]
    @OE - DAMN!!! dat soun neat still... gimme some WHYs tho

Guys.. explain your choices please.. maybe even some comparison charts.
    [/quote]

Reasons to get the Athlon 64 3800+:

Besides the fact that it performs on par with the more expensive FX-53, Windows XP 64Bit is almost upon us and you will notice a performance increase from 32bit XP, AMD 64Bit technology is superior to Intel’s you'll also have Bragging Rights ;D I can go into detail about the architectural advantages if need be.

Reasons to get the OCZ PC3200 DDR400 1024MBx2 CAS2.5:

Some may argue that 2 Gigs of RAM is overkill but from what I've seen, the game engines coming in the near future will need all the ram we can afford. 1 Gig sticks @ CAS 2.5 is great!!!

Reasons to get the Epox EP-9NDA:

Well, there aren't many Socket 939 motherboards out yet, I believe Asus has one (the A8V Deluxe I think) but I've always had great overclocking results with the Epox boards.

For the Western Digital 74GB S-ATA, 10K RPM Drives:

IMHO these are the best drives on the market right now period. SCSI drives tend to run a bit hotter than SATA or EIDE drives but have faster RPM. I don't think SCSI drives warrant the heavy price tag because I've benched 10K Raptors (above mentioned drives) in RAID 0 that beat 10K and some 15K SCSI drives.

Western Digital 250GB:

I just threw this in for storage purposes.

Plextor 12X DVD-/+RW

Burn DVDs @ 12X

52X CDRW & DVD Combo Drive

Not really needed because the Plextor Writer can do the same job.

Antec TRUE550 550 Watt ATX12V

One of the best PSU on the market. Quality power supply units are probably the most overlooked PC components but they are probably the most important. I've had many a dead motherboards, hard drives, video cards etc because of a cheap PSU. Just because it says 400w doesn't mean it is 400w. Look for a PSU with PFC (Power Factor Correction).

ATI Radeon X800 XT PE

Nothing can touch it.

Lian Li PCV2000

Interior three zones design for better heat dissipating, the fans are fixed with anti-vibration rubber rings, Sound insulated foam inside, Aluminum casters with brake, Removable sound damping cover for the fan in the rear and many other improvements over standard ATX cases, it just look Hype.

The 2018XLQ 3d LCD

I don't know how well this monitor performs but the ability to view images in 3D without 3D glasses is just amazing. Imagine gaming on this thing!!!

Regards,

OE

those cases pretty but dem not pretty enough. I mean something wid flashing lights and stuff. When the computer start up it floats above the table becuz of the massive amounts of fans and it gives something looking like a Light show in time square ;D ;D

Reason for pretty... wat reason dont u want