Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programming skills

Default Re:Programming skills

Quote Originally Posted by jrcdba
    shotta is a talented yute,and i think he can code as well as most veteran programmers down here in ja, as some one who has worked with really good coders let me say this dont limited yourself to c++ or pascal i have worked with programmers from the us including those from bank of america and they all have skillsets of greater than 7 languages,vb is the defacto standard and to be honest delphi and pascal are behind c++ in terms of usage but even though i code in vb i will not say owen cant program because for christ sakes i downt remember much mfc coding,its not hard but i dont walk around with stuff like that.
    My skill set:c,c++,visual j++,visual foxpro and basic,vba,php,asp,java via jbuilder n-tier(com+,dcom atl and all that).philpotts use the best language for the job so dont use c to write a hunman resource app when vb and sql will suffice peace and utech for life
    good point...i totally respect that...lets not limit this to c++, pascal...i know 5 languages, c,c++,pascal,vb,java.. Lets try and build on that..

But still if you code in mfc..you are weak..challenge yourself go full api without the mfc

a programming competition should seperate the sheeps from the wolves..
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Enough said Mr. Martin. I am humbled in your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by cknight
    enough said mr. Martin. I am humbled in your presence.
    yes cknight.. Enough said..why dont techjamaica host a programmers competition cuz i'm fully spec and loaded..

to owen: yes that peice of code works..try it in any compilier.... Post your code..or even a screen shot..i would want to see what you have under your skulls..
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Well mr. Martin here what ,in the work environment delivery time is what counts MFC programming is faster than buliding an APP from the ground up,VB+SQL is faster than C/C++ from the ground up ,before i started to work i used to like coding UNIX scokets etc but when ur boss ask for an app in one month u cant be reinventing the wheel and even though i know BILL's technologies i would not say i am better than a C man because Analysis skills counts and it also pays in the industry,i know people who code in C well JEFF ROACH is he a modern day programmer not to me,but he can solve problems quickly with his choice of programming language.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleshotta (More Prayer)
    ...I'M FULLY SPEC AND LOADED..
    I'm proud of you....
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM.

HEY CKNIGHT..YOU HAVE'NT ANSWERED MY PROPOSAL ON TECHJAMAICA HOSTING A PROGRAMMERS COMPETITION..

to jrcdba: what organization you work for.. when last have u visited scit..go there are check out the 411 on the best programmers..you'll be surprised zeen..respect rudeboy..

Quote Originally Posted by Littleshotta (More Prayer)
    HEY CKNIGHT..YOU HAVE'NT ANSWERED MY PROPOSAL ON TECHJAMAICA HOSTING A PROGRAMMERS COMPETITION..
    To accomplish what? I love competition, but for a purpose. You seem to be touting a programming competition only to boost your ego than to actually come to any meaningful end.

Mr. Martin, no one is questioning your programming prowess, matter of fact I'm the last person who would ever do such a thing, I'm a Consultant.

Dig up previous topics. You'll see that a such a competition was held a couple months back. I saw the post and had an hour to spare, so I threw something together. No one else entered, not because they aren't programmers and know what they're about, but these people have lives to live and actual deadlines to meet and I soppose had no time to throw down code that served no other real purpose other than to be pro bono tutorial for some aspiring programmer.

Philpotts, can I call you Philpotts? I'm pretty sure I and a few other people here are getting the wrong impression of you right now because you're coming off as very arrogant and immature. We come to this forum to help who we can and share what we know, not to boast as to what we think we are and belittle others who don't share our oppinions.

You must be an OK guy since you're in a picture with Greg who we all know to be the nicest guy around.

So here's where we start. You are a firm believer in the power of C++, APIs and OOP in general. Impart your vast knowledge upon us so we may all learn from it and become better people. If someone disagrees, feel free to disagree right back at him, but do so with facts and oppinions which contradict theirs, not with remarks that serve no other purpose but to infuriate your fellow board member and disrupt the flow of ideas.

Do you want a competition? Put forward a good reason and it may be considered, eventually I'll have another hour to burn.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM.

*kissing teeth* aren't we full of ourself.

It's funny to see how this post have turned out, form a simple check to determine the programming knowledge of Techjamaica's members to now an ego trip, don't get me wrong i like a good debate but this thread have taken a totally unfortunate turn.

I started using Techjamaica because it seemed to be a mature discussion forum for solving,discussing and creating technology in Jamaica [and elsewhere for those of us who are away] , however I really feel this site's topics tend to quickly degrade to a pissing match, this is what i can get on slashdot.
    If it wasn't for longstanding members like jamrock,Cknight,RobyG and Chris i would see no value in coming back to this site.
    I emplore the moderators to use their Admin-granted-rights to kill this post [or the offensive ones], frankly ,techjamaica will certainly do better if onlookers [aka lurkers] were not made to feel that there post is not a valid,valuable or welcomed opinion.
    Kids who lack basic civil interactivity skills, who constantly respond in such a manner should never be allowed to (re) post to this section of the forum.
    -Kurt

P.s. Please realize that any post that i deem abrasive/repugnant will be deleted from any section that i moderate and Admin notified , to hopefully ban such user.

Oh my gosh ??? :'( >

I have so much emotions stirring up inside of me and responses to different posts that I don't know where to start. What meant to be an innocent post to get an idea of the programming skills here has turned out to be a fiasco.

Littleshotta/Philpotts: I thought that my initial suggestions would have helped you temper your attitude and responses to posts expressing a different opinion. You appear to be an accomplished programmer with a lot of talent, but if you continue thru life treating people like this then you won't amount to much. We gave you a lot of leeway, but that didn't help. It's obvious that you've already offended MANY members and visitors especially some long-standing members that have contributed in many ways to the growth and development of this site. I will not allow anyone to jeopardise what we have worked together to build up. I'm still welcoming your posts as long as they contribute value and don't offend others. To use your own words, "LETS SEPARATE THE BOYS FROM THE MEN..CUZZ I FULLY SPEC AND READY FOR ANY CHALLENGE..". I'll assume that this means that you're "spec'd" enough to apologise to those you've insulted.

Members and visitors: I wish to apologise for not taking control of this topic earlier :-[. As Admin I guess that I'm ultimately responsible for letting it go on for too long. I hope that no member will feel that this site has now deteriorated into a state that makes it a waste of their time to support. We've all worked hard to build up the site and your support and contributions are an invaluable part of that effort. Thanks!

I will not immediately lock this topic. I'm expecting a certain post that will set us back on the mature and progressive path that we were on.