Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programming skills

Default Re:Programming skills

Quote Originally Posted by Philpotts Martin
    A win32 "hello world" program aint 400+ lines of codes..that goes to show u know nothing about programming... most applications in windows environment are win32..most programs today are witten in c++ (win32 API)..stop talking none-sense..

This is a program that displays a Message Box that says hello world

#include <windows.h>

INT WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE PrevInst, LPSTR Argument, int Show)
    {
    MessageBox(NULL, "Hello World", "To The Non Programmers:", 0x0);
    }

was that simple or what...know your stuff before u say a word.. Pascal aint used today to do anything...
    Philpotts, You need not come across so abrasive to make your simple point > People are entitled to their opinions! If your opinion differs from another, state your points backed with your facts and let it apply itself.

Take a little suggestion from me - if that's how you're going to haul up someone for making an erroneous statement or different opinion from yours, you're going to be completing all those dynamic libraries by yourself
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

A win32 "hello world" program aint 400+ lines of codes..that goes to show u know nothing about programming... most applications in windows environment are win32..most programs today are witten in c++ (win32 API)..stop talking none-sense..
    Bredrin....that's Owen you're talking to....be careful...be VERY careful.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM.

This is a program that displays a Message Box that says hello world

#include <windows.h>

INT WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE PrevInst, LPSTR Argument, int Show)
    {
    MessageBox(NULL, "Hello World", "To The Non Programmers:", 0x0);
    }

was that simple or what...know your stuff before u say a word.. Pascal aint used today to do anything...
    You've got a lot of erroneous satements in that post. What stats are you using to make the claims that:

1) Most programs today are written in c++
    2) Pascal aint used today to do anything

Firstly, I would have thought that C would have been more widely used that C++, I'm not saying it is...I'm just saying that's what I would have thought.

Secondly, Pascal is being used, if you're unaware of that then check out .NET (which I'm figuring you use), they support it. Less we forget Delphi which, correct me if I'm wrong, RobyG, is just visual Pascal...you can practically copy and paste code from one IDE to the other.

And finally, be careful how you throw your words. You just told one of the most elite programmers I know that quote: "u know nothing about programming" and "stop talking none-sense". That's not too bright.

You can program, sure, but you've got to work on your social skills.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM.

elite programmer...??? he aint more elite than me.. .. Well for information sake c++ is c with a few more stuff... Pascal, that i've used..do me a favor, try write a program, (lets say a server).. and tell me how difficult that is in pascal.. Pascal aint gonna be used to write good quality programs.. C aint even used to that.. C++ (with its OOP concept) is widely used these days.. Post some of your codes owen.. i have alot to post also!!!!

Ha!! A simple telnet application i wrote some months ago.

elite programmer...??? he aint more elite than me.. .. Well for information sake c++ is c with a few more stuff... Pascal, that i've used..do me a favor, try write a program, (lets say a server).. and tell me how difficult that is in pascal.. Pascal aint gonna be used to write good quality programs.. C aint even used to that.. C++ (with its OOP concept) is widely used these days.. Post some of your codes owen.. i have alot to post also!!!!

You have no idea how funny this is.

Firstly, A "Good Program" has nothing to do with language, it's nothing more than the reasoning ability of the programmer which is why you can have something like UML.

Next, please try not to mislead prospective programmers from picking up or dropping a language, Pascal is as good as any language out there. It would seem that what makes or brakes a language, in your view, is the amount of libraries available to the programmer.

Yes, C++ may (and I do mean may) have more libraries but it doesn't make it easier to use, just quicker.

I've written Keyboard input libraries for Pascal much more powerful and feature rich than anything available for C++ (by default), does that then make Pascal easier? Perhaps not, but you are able to drop some input controls on a form a lot quicker than you could in C++.

Did you say C will not be used to write good quality programs? Please don't make such statements. Are you aware that every PS(2) game is written in C? Are you aware that the Linux kernel itself and thousands of applications which run on it are written in C? Are you aware that outside of an enterpri(s/z)e environment, programmers flock to C because of it's simplicity and elegance? C++ has it's place, but it's by no means better than C, just different.

And in closing...you know what they say about self praise...
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Default Re:platinumshotta

Hey, there is no need to start making uninformed and irresponsible assumptions about people you obviously don't know anything about. I wasn't dissing C++, nor was I dissing the WIN32 API. I was merely trying to point out in my opinion it's immense learning curve while not drifting from the topic of thread like you had so quickly decided to do(which is now out of hand).

Based on the fact that I don't know what compiler your using nor do I know where you found that torpid piece a code or would challenge your knowledge of C++ but "Does that piece a crap code even work?".

The "hello world"; of which I am referring to comes with Borland C++ for windows (version 5 or something like that, the one with picture buttons). Program [hello.cpp] or [helloworld.cpp] . Find the program READ IT! you'll see what I'm talking about.

I could go on and on about what a hello world application is about and that by saying "hello world" program doesn't refer to a program that simply shows the message "hello world". yaaada yada yada, blaa, bla, blaa, bla but I got a lota stuff to do and I ain't got time to waste with people who try to prove there worth by posting screen shots of what they did (how ever complex it maybe, which doesn't seem to be the case).

The website is not a medium to prove the worth as a programmer and a screen shot won't do that either.
    I could go on and diss you website and stuff but people got better things to do with there time that argue. what I am wondering is why do people keep drifting from the topic?
    Last edited by recursion; Oct 7, 2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Replaced html codes

Shotta is a talented yute,and i think he can code as well as most veteran programmers down here in JA, as some one who has worked with Really good coders let me say this dont limited yourself to C++ or pascal i have worked with programmers from the US including those from Bank Of America and they all have skillsets of greater than 7 languages,VB is the defacto standard and to be honest Delphi and Pascal are behind C++ in terms of usage but even though i code in VB i will not say owen cant program because for christ sakes i downt remember much MFC coding,its not hard but i dont walk around with stuff like that.
    My Skill Set:C,C++,Visual J++,Visual Foxpro And Basic,VBA,PHP,ASP,Java via Jbuilder n-tier(COM+,DCOM ATL and all that).Philpotts use the best language for the job so dont use C to write a Hunman resource app when VB and SQl will suffice peace and UTECH for LIFE

I RUN LINUX IN MY MACHINE..I HAVE THE SOURCECODE FOR THE KERNEL .. NOT ENTIRELY WRITTEN IN C..........C++ IS PRESENT IN THERE.. FOR INFORAMTION SAKE, C++ IS C WITH SOME WRAPPER CLASSES, AND FEW MORE LIBRARIES.. ITS THE SAME LANGUAGE..ONE IS JUST MORE POWERFUL THAN THE OTHER.. NOW A DAYS THE CONCEPT OF OOP(OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING) HAS TAKEN OVER. YOU JUST WRITE AN OBJECT AND IT CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY FUTURE APPLICATIONS U WRITE.. THATS THE CONCEPT OF C++ NOT C. SO DONT GET ME WRONG OR TRY TO MISLEAD OTHERS.. PASCAL JUST DOESN'T GET THE DRIVER'S SEAT FOR TODAYS QUALITY PROGRAMMERS...TELL ME IF I'M WRONG..I'M CERTAINLY NOT..

U JAMAICAN PROGRAMMERS ARE BACKWARDS WHEN IT COMES TO PROGRAMMING..NOT THAT I'M SAYING U ARE..BUT THATS THE GENERAL IDEA I GET..I HAVE 12 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.. AND I DONT SEE MOST JA PROGRAMEMRS GETTING ANYWHERE.. WRITING A TYPICAL CONSOLE APPLICATION AINT GONNA CARRY THE WEIGHT.. TAKE IT FROM ME (AN EXPERIENCE PROGRAMMER), DONT LET THE IDEA OF PASCAL OR COBOL, FOXPRO, Q-BASIC OVERWHELM U... TRY SOMETHING THATS FLEXIBLE..

I'VE WRITTEN AN INSTANT MESSENGER IN C..THE OTHER DAY I TOTALLY RE-WROTE IT WITH THE OOP CONCEPT AND RIGHT NOW, I'M RE-USING SOME OF THE OBJECTS IN IT..THEY ARE PURELY SUSTAINABLE..

TELL YOU WHAT..WHY DONT TECHJAMAICA HAVE A PROGRAMMING CONTEST.... LETS SEPARATE THE BOYS FROM THE MEN..CUZZ I FULLY SPEC AND READY FOR ANY CHALLENGE..

PASCAL WAS THE LANGUAGE OF CHOICE YEARS AGO..BUT TODAY ITS C, C++, JAVA(NOT REALLY), ETC..