Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony says Nintendo Wii is an "impulse buy"

Talking Sony says Nintendo Wii is an "impulse buy"

Here's one that's sure get at least half (or so) of you fired up. In speaking with the New York Times, Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesperson Dave Karraker was boasting about how "100,000" PlayStation 3 units were being shipped stateside each week, and were continuing to "sell out" nationwide. Aside from the fact that a large majority of the country can find, secure, and purchase a PS3 now without worry over being shot up or forced to pay ridiculous prices, Mr. Karraker proceeded to dig himself a little deeper by insinuating that Sony's latest console is "much more powerful and should therefore be regarded as being in a different category." As if sparks weren't already about to fly, he then stated that Nintendo's Wii "could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else," simultaneously slamming any citizen who doesn't consider $250 a drop in the bucket and indirectly proclaiming that millions upon millions of Americans are still unable to resist their "impulses" by snapping up Wii units as quick as they arrive. Of course, he attributed the vast shortage of Wii consoles to Nintendo's stingy shipments, but the Big N's vice president of marketing, Perrin Kaplan, simply deemed that "absolutely inaccurate." So, inquiring minds are dying to know: was your Wii purchase well-planned, or are you still coping with buyer's remorse?
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/s...n-impulse-buy/

It must have been an "impulse buy" yes,
    (due to the fact that it is cheaper that the ps3 and it is more readily available),
    I don't rate the wii console;
    Last edited by Utech22; Feb 2, 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: clarify
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

which console you nuh rate.......ohh welll I think the sony man got it wrong, wii is a innovative new step towards game, PS3 is not in wii league.........I mean if wii got as much GPU power as PS3, PS3 would die a horrible death.......you have to admit that one

Hands down, the wii is ths stuff when it comes on to bringing something new to the table. Every company could always pump a their console full of new stuff and say we are the best, but nintendo sat down and thought through a strat which seems to be working.

P.S Wont developers devlop more for a system that everyone has(hopefully soon) than 1 that almost noone has?

Quote Originally Posted by Utech22 View Post
    It must have been an "impulse buy" yes,
    (due to the fact that it is cheaper that the ps3 and it is more readily available),
    I don't rate the wii console;
    you must not be paying attention to the news

the PS3 is what is readily available and the wii is what is hard to come by

Quote Originally Posted by Zard View Post
    you must not be paying attention to the news

the PS3 is what is readily available and the wii is what is hard to come by
    Well doesn't' take a genius to figure out why this is so. I mean Sony had the eye toy that was a big seller for them cause that was a different approach to gaming, that people who don't normally play games liked. Hope noone think the Wii stole any ideas now cause the eye toy is a camera and the Wii has a motion detection controller. Who remember Hey you Pikachu? If most people were into pokemon then, that would be a top seller as well. Nintendo also has a wider audience ofcourse, as they have been around before there was anything called a cd. Yuh know, if Square Enix decide to make a FF game for the Wii I might actually go back to console games.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

hats off to nintendo lol they left sony and microsoft alone to their quest of who could put the maximum amount of raw compting power into their machines creating expensive money loosing consoles with the only chance of profitability comming off of licensing fees for the games sold for those systems...

Instead nintendo wisely re thought the gaming experience and simplified that making their games and their console, the wii, more accessable and more desirable to many many more people and not just the die hard gamer this should be a winning solution let sony and microsoft battle about which system is bigger and better mean while nitendo will be gaining market share.

not everyone has weeks of game playing time to dedicate to figuring out the advanced games that sony and microsoft offer this may be a case where simpler is better.
    Imac, Ipad2 3g 64gb & 32gb ATV, Iphone 4s Lime Iphone 5 Sprint, Mac Mini Driving 3 23" Toshiba leds

Thumbs up Being impulsive sure is fun!!

I waited a couple days after initially posting this before making any comments because I didn't want what I'm about to say sound a little harsh, but, How much more of a LOSER could Sony on a whole be?! They're trying to sell everyone a computer and uh...(uh oh) NO ONE IS BUYING IT - because they already have one, even two, and the only comeback they can try making is by saying that the 4 million Wiis sold (as of Dec. 31, probably reach 8 by now) was because of impulsive consumers?

All i have to say to Sony is, "Dude! Get a life!" (Hehe).
    Make a console that people want to buy and think is worth the money; don't make it, tell us it's "worth it" and expect us to buy it - just so! Hey but if that's a strategy Nintendo has developed (making something that consumers will want to "impulsively" buy) then maybe Sony should try stealing that idea too; that is what they do best. People usually make the generalization that the Wii is a beefed-up Game Cube, but thinking about that a little you realize that it actually applies to Sony more so than Nintendo (for the obvious innovations); PS3 is just a beefed-up PS2.

Boy, that rep. sure makes Sony sound like a whiny little kid that doesn't know how to handle losing.
    Last edited by Link; Feb 4, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

If you really think about it, PS3 was more a impulse buy than the wii, how many people intailly bought the PS3 BECAUSE it was the new thing from there every faithful sony..........wii was a totally new produyct that people intially bought because they couldn't get a PS3..............somebody needs to get a midol for that sony rep dude

it was a real good come back for nintendo after vailing for the last 9-10years loosing out to the other competitors including sony.
    We sell only the latest and the best product and we don't have only one in stock so never be afraid to buy CONTACT US @ 3631007 OR BBM 7A0E8BF1