View Poll Results: Is it ok to want to know what a job pays right up front?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It's ok

19 82.61%
  • No it's not

2 8.70%
  • I don't know

2 8.70%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to want to know what the salary for a job is upfront?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post

Ok, I'm asking whether it is ok to want to know the salary before even applying for the job, or even after applying, at the first interview, why is it such a big deal to know what the job is paying before you go any further?
    Well, i dont even know what to say... but..all i know is that before i resign to take up any new job, i MUST know how i will be compensated. having an idea of the pay or the actual figure is not a bad idea, as to when, what time or how u ask or if its told, is dependent on a lot of factors as others have mentioned before..... just mek sure seh unuh know what's going on before unuh mek no drastic decision.

THis is my approach to the money question:

when im seeking for a job i fax,email resumes and work my "network". If i get a job interview i go to that interview and state why im qualified. In the interview i ask questions realated to the job and how i can progress in the role of "xyz". If an offer is made to me for job acceptance then i begin to negotiate salary. I ask then what are they paying and then tell them what im willing to accept. I strongly believe that the money question upfront is a turnoff to employers. Think about it why would you make the money issue let you loose an interview or an offer? let them offer then make your case. my experience was when i interview for my job the pay was much less that what im worth but the health benefits were greeat so i took it; within a year i recieve $10,000 US raise based on my performance. Imagine i had turn down the offer! my plan was to see if my pay would increase if not then i would go job hunting again... lets face it guys, there are many employees out there few employers so we need them more than they need us so mek we smart up.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

buy me a patty nuh..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    buy me a patty nuh..
    hey boy pogi! a how you love patty so bwoy? a must you mi did see down a knockford blvd a beg mi money fi go buy patty and bagjuice. . a joke man!
    Henry David Thoreau

I recently went on a job interview at a respected company here in Jamaica, in the first interview, before even telling me what position they had called me for, they wanted to know how much I was expecting for salary. I just stated that I was not sure of my exact responsibilities and asked if he could explain them to me in full before I responded, he said that seemed very reasonable. He then explained the duties, and i then asked, well what kind of salary range does this job normally have, and they stated the range and I said ok sounds good. In my next meeting after that they stated what my probation pay would be and when the probation period ends, and that my pay would be fully negotiable afterwards. Simple as that, no offence taken or given.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

yes Megiddo thats the way to go
    but noticed it was established before u stated working, that all mi a seh, it must be established to both partied before,

i was telling my experience when i got my first job which i am still in now, and it wasnt established until i saw my job letter...lol... oh well..... that's government for you

you see i was young (still am lol) and i never really know what and what and how to approach things, but as i get older and wiser i know how to approach things now, and mediggo your way is the professional way i would take as well

i was telling my experience when i got my first job which i am still in now, and it wasnt established until i saw my job letter
    That is still before you started working or signed off on anything MechEng.

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo View Post
    I recently went on a job interview at a respected company here in Jamaica, in the first interview, before even telling me what position they had called me for, they wanted to know how much I was expecting for salary.

I guess they do interviews in the states different from jamaica. Asking about salary here is a sure way of loosing out on a job! Here its a big turn off...trust me.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jan 26, 2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    That is still before you started working or signed off on anything MechEng.
    well when i went in my fist day...lol... mi did young still, so a so it goes, but i know here wher ei work and them dont say anything until u take the job, and u see because people wah work, them get away with it..lol.. i mean i guess even tho it was my official first day i could maybe have said i not interested still, but hey i was the first one to get a job even before i finsihed school so mi gwaan roll with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post

I guess they do interviews in the states different from jamaica. Asking about salary here is a sure way of loosing out on a job! Here its a big turn off...trust me.
    DUSTY so u saying the way how mediggo approach it whihc to me is a fair and balance way fr both the employee and the employer, u saying they still would be turned off by that??? thats really ridiculous to me

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post

DUSTY so u saying the way how mediggo approach it whihc to me is a fair and balance way fr both the employee and the employer, u saying they still would be turned off by that??? thats really ridiculous to me
    no that not wat im saying. if the employer brings it up then you have to address the issue and make your demands but dont be the one to bring it up!
    I would equate it to looking a girl... on the first date you dont ask her "so how much time a week mi ago get it?" you just dont do that. Form the relationship first then you buss the question.. if you dont like her answer then you move on to the next woman.
    Henry David Thoreau