View Poll Results: Is it ok to want to know what a job pays right up front?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It's ok

19 82.61%
  • No it's not

2 8.70%
  • I don't know

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to want to know what the salary for a job is upfront?

yeah, salary can be talked about after the first interview after they have made their initial offer.

BCK doesn't seem to be asking this, it looks like his is asking if you want to know the salary before
    you send in your application.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    BCK doesn't seem to be asking this, it looks like his is asking if you want to know the salary before you send in your application.
    BCK is this what u were refering to? some clarifications please

plus why can't i vote in the poll???

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    yeah, salary can be talked about after the first interview after they have made their initial offer.

BCK doesn't seem to be asking this, it looks like his is asking if you want to know the salary before
    you send in your application.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post

yes...MechEng...this is exactly the interpretation i got...and this is what i believe is very wrong

Hey!!! how comes i didn't get an option to vote?. What goin on here!!!
    NZXT S340*Asus Prime B350 Plus*AMD Ryzen 5 1600*Cooler Master Masterliquid 240 AIO*8GB Patriot Viper 3000MHZ DDR4*SanDisk 120GB SSD*Corsair CX 650 80+Bronze PSU*Windows 10 Pro 64bit*Acer R Series 21.5" IPS 1080p 4ms Monitor

I believe the salary package should be discussed at the end of an interview when the interviewer asks if you have any questions or if asked directly during the interview.

I think Salary should be discussed at the end of the interview

I would like to know before the interview
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Live for computers or else they will live for you.
    8368993 (lime) 303-1359 (digi) blunt60us@yahoo.com

I think it depends on the situation, I wouldn't want to waste my time with an
    interview only to find out that the new job would entail a big cut in my current
    salary.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSunny View Post
    Talking from HR perspective asking about salary at the 1st interview is not done.
    On most interviews I have been on, I have been asked what my salary expectations are from the first interview. Whenever I ask what the salary range for the job is, I am given the run around, yet they expect me to reveal my expectations right off the bat. Is this fair?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSunny
    It is considered rude.
    Then I consider most organizations or at least the persons handling their interviews and recruitment, to be unprofessional and rude. They behave as if they are doing the job seeker a favour, when in fact, it is supposed to be a mutually beneficial business arrangement where everyone is treated fairly. How can an employer ask me what I want, so he can know whether or not to cut me from the shortlist based on what I ask for, but I can't do the same and enquire as to whether the job is worth my time and skills based on the compensation?

If you must ask questions ask about training the organization can offer, organization culture etc.
    But Phantom, a job seeker must ask questions. There's no "if" about it. Are people really expected to just come in, and accept what is dictated to them without asking any questions or getting any clarification for themselves? No sir. No sankee nuh sing so.

Pay is a negotiated item.
    Not in all companies. Many of them leave very little room for negotiation or make it seem as if there can be no negotiation because they feel that others are out there in the market clamouring to take your spot as a prospective employee.

The application form usually has a space to indicate your desired salary. The interviewer does have a salary scale in mind but in speaking with you they may well decide that you are more valuable than what they were initially thinking. Most employers will look at the desired salary and decide whether they can afford you or not and most will tell you. The initial interview is not an offer of employment it is a getting to know you session.
    So if it is a getting to know you session, then shouldn't the job seeker benefit from that knowledge transfer as well? Employers are being evaluated at job interviews as well as potential employees. When I've been to job interviews, I carefully evaluate the interviewers, observe the employees, and grill them with questions so that I can clarify whether that employer is the right fit for my needs. It's a two way street. Why should I put my salary expectations on an application form for an employer to size me up, but not get the opportunity to similarly assess the employer on the criteria of compensation? That's just not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Ok, I'm asking whether it is ok to want to know the salary before even applying for the job, or even after applying, at the first interview, why is it such a big deal to know what the job is paying before you go any further?

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng
    Umm ... I dunno. It looked fine to me. I tried editing it to see if there was an issue, but I could see none. Will look into it some more.

I really depends on the interview really. For example, if you have been communicated the interview process eg, technical interview first, then HR interview, I think in the technical interview is not the right time to ask about salary. Also when you are asekd if you have any questions, I don not think the salary qestion should be the first question asked.

Depending on how the interview has been going, usually dictates the responses you get. Case in point, sometimes the salary question is not answered as the interviewer has decided you not the candidiate so the just not telling you!

I can live without asking the question on the first interview, as i do enough research to find out the company's compensation scheme. Case in point, I will never go for a government IT job. as what they pay for MIS/IT 6 is a joke.
    Heroes to Mentors -