View Poll Results: Is it ok to want to know what a job pays right up front?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It's ok

19 82.61%
  • No it's not

2 8.70%
  • I don't know

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to want to know what the salary for a job is upfront?

Default Is there anything wrong with knowing what the salary for a job is up front?

Is there anything wrong with a job seeker wanting to know what the salary range for a job is right up front?

No.. absolutley not, infact this is no# critical item to know before any decision is made.... when i got my first job ( which is still the job i am operating in now) i never know anything, well it never really did matter much, cause it was not like mi a live on mi own or have responsibilities, mi jus did glad mi get a job and have options to see if another one comes by mi can decide... but mi never know nothing at all.... but that would not happen again as i develop and become older in the professional world tho... cause i would deifinaltey have to know

You have some employers who dont even like to tell u nothing, and people say if you ask, it looks insulting and that u may not get the job... people we all need to move away form this idea, because thats not right..how can we sign ourselves up for something like a JOB, probably one fo the most important decision we make in life and not know what we getting into in terms of your labour in exhange for cash?? it makes no sense

employers need to know that this is an important question, infact they shouldnt even wait until the person ask, they should lay it out right there and then... make it a must in the interview process and stop keep the person guessing and spelling/or if the person ask think thats rude...that's just plain foolishness

in order to vote you have to open the poll. Nothing is wrong with knowing up front in my view
    We Is Friends!
    Me And You Is Friends!
    You Smile, I Smile ....
    You Hurt, I Hurt ..
    You Cry, I Cry ..
    You Jump Off A Bridge ..
    I Gonna Miss Your E-Mails !

my thing is this....what you mean by upfront?? cawz i'm thinkin the very first Q in an interview...i dnt think it shud be the first Q

a lot of times the job doesn't even have a set salary...maybe a pay rate dependent on the qualifications/experiences/ abilities of the applicant...so post interview/ or near the end wud be a more suitable point to bring up salary...when such things have been noted.

to MechEng....if anyone signs a contract w/o completly knowing and understanding what is expected of them, as well making clear wht their own expectations are, then they are at fault.....

but still it reeeli isnt necessary to bring it up erlie since the primary purpose of the interview is to confirm your suitability for the position...then place a value on your suitability...thts y u will hear sum employers noting an applicant is over/under qualified...more than just paper qualifications tht is

personally, i believe its bad to bring it up earli....before you have even proven your suitability to wrk for the company.
    Last edited by RachieBabie; Jan 23, 2007 at 03:05 PM.

RACHIE u keep refering to early??..... i do not think when BCK said "upfront" he meant as soon as unuh say greetings then u seh, "so wah mi a get fi mi pay",,i think he is more refering to just within that interview process it is establish "upfront"

the fact what i am establising is that dont wait (wel i wouldnt again) until the first day of your job (after u dun resign from the other one already) or they first pay check u getting to find out.

Well In my humble opinion, if i am going for a job, i need to at least know the salary range, maybe not the exact figure....but I find in my interviews (I am a consultant so I get some like every 3 months) the interviews have a range in mind usually agreed upon by HRD but they like to see if I understand what I will be doing and what is a suitable compensation.

I usually ask the salary question in my interview, because I will let them know that not because I want a job, someone should take that knowledge and use me. So yes tell me up front, let me decide before you go any further and waste valuable time. (like my last employer felt pissed after them under pay me and think i would take them contract again)

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    RACHIE u keep refering to early??..... i do not think when BCK said "upfront" he meant as soon as unuh say greetings then u seh, "so wah mi a get fi mi pay",,i think he is more refering to just within that interview process it is establish "upfront"

the fact what i am establising is that dont wait (wel i wouldnt again) until the first day of your job (after u dun resign from the other one already) or they first pay check u getting to find out.
    lol...thts y mi ask...

but, of course, it shud most certainly b something tht both parties come to terms with...isn't that the normal practice? contracts are signed specifying your pay package?

i dnt think an interviewee shud be asking wht the offer is unless it has been established tht the interviewee has been satisfied and have asked all the q's they need answers to...normally the interviewer will ask you if u have any comments/questions...and if salaries have not yet been discussed, then this will be the best point....however, how you ask the question will also demonstrate your confidence, especially will be your response to the question "how much are you expecting?"

yes...i agree selassieye...at least confirm a range that salary may be in
    Last edited by RachieBabie; Jan 23, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Nutting is wrong i believe. I, the prospective employee, will be providing a service to the employer. What is wrong with knowing in an interview what the salary or financial compensation will be for the service that i will be offering as an employee.

It is a dirty habit that employers in Jamaica are adopting - thinking it rude for someone to ask how much they will be paid. The interview is where clarifications will be made on both part, so if i wanna know whether or not it worth waking up early Monday morning to go to this new job, whats the problem?

I am sure an employer wouldn't hire someone without knowing them or their skills and other info, so why should the employee start a job without important info like salary details? Definitely, nutting is wrong with asking your salry....I believe.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

Talking from HR perspective asking about salary at the 1st interview is not done. It is considered rude. If you must ask questions ask about training the organization can offer, organization culture etc. Pay is a negotiated item. The application form usually has a space to indicate your desired salary. The interviewer does have a salary scale in mind but in speaking with you they may well decide that you are more valuable than what they were initially thinking. Most employers will look at the desired salary and decide whether they can afford you or not and most will tell you. The initial interview is not an offer of employment it is a getting to know you session.

so PhantomSunny since u are from the HR perspective, you need to tell us when it is time to discus that then... when they call you and tell you you got the job?? tell us when is the best time, because u left that out in your post.

THe important thing i was trying to get across is that it must be established before one takes the job/employs you
    Last edited by MechEng; Jan 24, 2007 at 08:18 AM.