Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Employers asking for too much...

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    Maybe the pay is all IT Dept rolled into one too ??
    We could only WISH! Any company practicing these broad job description approach to IT firstly has no appreciation of the need for a properly structured IT dept and therefore has no appreciation for the costs associated with a properly setup IT dept.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

A very popular media company pays the IT staff less than $30,000 a month, while other depts play solitaire all day for 3-4 times that. Then wonder why when the PC's around compound break down there is no real "get up and go" to get stuff running shipshape.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Any company practicing these broad job description approach to IT firstly has no appreciation of the need for a properly structured IT dept and therefore has no appreciation for the costs associated with a properly setup IT dept.
    not only IT but other positions employers like to roll a massive job descriptions into one position............... i mean right now i am doing a wholeleep of admin assistant work and other work difernt from my job title ,

A very popular media company pays the IT staff less than $30,000 a month, while other depts play solitaire all day for 3-4 times that. Then wonder why when the PC's around compound break down there is no real "get up and go" to get stuff running shipshape.
    i hear that the media places do not pay well with certain positions

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We could only WISH! Any company practicing these broad job description approach to IT firstly has no appreciation of the need for a properly structured IT dept and therefore has no appreciation for the costs associated with a properly setup IT dept.
    If you ask me. I think Jamaican employeers, especially the media gaints and government don't realize the potention of the IT world. They still think its a phase and will fade away like many things. SO i think they are really skeptical in investing in this department.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    But isnt the admin at Flow a CCIE
    Dono, where did you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by juiceheadband View Post
    how hard is to become a CCIE? Is it that no company will pay a CCIE fairly or what? I don't understand why no Jamaican has this certification.
    In order to obtain CCIE, one must past a 2 hour multiple choice exam as well as a two-day hands on lab. CCIE is by far one of, if not the most difficult exam. You have to know your stuff like the back of your hands. It’s no MCSE.

Quote Originally Posted by redbwoy View Post
    If you ask me. I think Jamaican employeers, especially the media gaints and government don't realize the potention of the IT world. They still think its a phase and will fade away like many things. SO i think they are really skeptical in investing in this department.
    The funny thing is that most of these companies don't realize how important IT is, until they start losing money due to technical difficulties. I honestly think they don’t know how vital IT is to the success of their business.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    But isnt the admin at Flow a CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropy
    Dono, where did you hear that?
    When they had the Flow/techja meeting at HQ. Although I might be mixing it up with the IEEE...
    Its one of the 2 (IEEE or CCIE)

Point to note: never let the requirements for a job stop you from applying. If you really want the job it does not hurt to apply. I know it sucks sometimes when you dont get a response but you aint got nothing to loose either... Most times a company includes requirements to keep away certain peeps. There was a job being advertised recently that required experience in AI, now tell me where is the relevance of that in lil JA?
    We Is Friends!
    Me And You Is Friends!
    You Smile, I Smile ....
    You Hurt, I Hurt ..
    You Cry, I Cry ..
    You Jump Off A Bridge ..
    I Gonna Miss Your E-Mails !

Talking

A very simple explanation for these crazy ads that we sometimes see is this:

In many companies, the HR department is responsible for recruitment, and handles the posting of job ads etc. They are supposed to work with the managers whose departments are seeking to fill the positions, but sometimes, beaurocracy and politics messes up the communication, and badly constructed (and badly worded) job ads get put in the paper.

Unfortunately, some HR departments don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Billerg View Post
    Point to note: never let the requirements for a job stop you from applying. If you really want the job it does not hurt to apply. I know it sucks sometimes when you dont get a response but you aint got nothing to loose either... Most times a company includes requirements to keep away certain peeps. There was a job being advertised recently that required experience in AI, now tell me where is the relevance of that in lil JA?
    You are too wicked man, that gone past joke....

AI !!!

Jamaican Terminator or Jamaican SKYnet ?
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    not to mention, u ever notice the "and any other duties" on a job description??

this practice really needs to stop, i mean come on... any other duties?? employers trying to get as much out of one person in order to pay less, in the end this would lead to inefficiency and much confusion..... a clear job description as well as knowing the right qualifications for that particular job needs to be outlined and stop the any other duties business
    I totally agree with you. I once had a job where I was the UNIX Administrator, Network Administrator, Programmer and Tech Support. When I brought this to the attention of my manager he gave me the run around, when I spoke with HR they told me about the any “other duties” clause. I didn’t mind the extra work, even though I wasn’t being paid for it I gained a lot of experience and my resume shined.

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    not only IT but other positions employers like to roll a massive job descriptions into one position
    A friend of mine (just turn manager) did the same thing when he was hiring somebody to fill his old position. He told me that he wanted somebody who could function as the Network Admin/Programmer/whatever in case one of his staff was sick for a day or two.

You are too wicked man, that gone past joke....

AI !!!

Jamaican Terminator or Jamaican SKYnet ?
    There are programming languages that behave like AI (Expert systems) and you will find that you need people to operate these systems. These systems are mostly in the Tele com sector or Engineering sector. Where you might have a system that is require to do X in the case a switch reaches it’s maximum (I am not an expert, but I have a former lecturer who writes AI systems for a company in New Kingston).