Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Employers asking for too much...

Default Employers asking for too much...

Am I the only one who thinks that some employers are asking for too much? From what I have observed, this is becoming the norm these days. I've seen where employers are seeking jack of all trades. Imagine the amount of stress that the successful candidate will endure.

For example:
    This employer is seeking a System Administrator, here are the requirements:
    • First Degree in Computer Science or related areas
    • Master Degree in a Natural Science discipline, Telecommunications, ICT or related field
    • Talented Graphic Designer and Web Page Developer
    • Develop strategies and programmes with respect to Telecommunications and Technology (intranet, internet)
    • Liaise with internal departments and external agencies to ensure development of IT Systems.
    • Lead the development and implementation of the Company's Operational Plan and Budget
    • Should possess at least 3 years work experience in the industry
    Is a Master Degree really reguired to be a Sys Admin?

Another is asking for CCIE. No one is Jamaica will get this position unless CCIE is no longer required for the position. Why? There are currently 8 individuals in the Caribbean with CCIE and neither reside in Jamaica. Here's proof.

If this trend really catchs on, I think less people will be interested in persuing a career in IT.
    Last edited by Ropy; Jan 27, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Jah kno,only 5054 in North America?...for real rop that is too much stress for the future employee to handle if him/her get that position...sometimes i wonder why they do post job openings knowing the statistics...
    Last edited by stigy; Jan 27, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy SIII (i9300) - Digicel

lol, "Talented Graphic Designer".. maybe they're gonna be paying out mad cash so they need their money's worth...??
    But isnt the admin at Flow a CCIE

I've long held the opinion that many if not most of the local employers (or persons drafting the vacancy ads) have no clue as to what qualifications to look for so they use the "shotgun" approach ... shoot for everything and hope to get something.

Look at those samples Ropy used - a Sys Admin to do all those tasks? Looks like they want their entire IT Department rolled up in one person, Management and all
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Default "any other duties"

not to mention, u ever notice the "and any other duties" on a job description??

this practice really needs to stop, i mean come on... any other duties?? employers trying to get as much out of one person in order to pay less, in the end this would lead to inefficiency and much confusion..... a clear job description as well as knowing the right qualifications for that particular job needs to be outlined and stop the any other duties business

Talking

I know of a particular Programmer who left her job cause;

She didn't have any coding to do till last 4 months on job (After bout 5 years of working there)
    She was doing Sysadmin work.
    She was doing Web Page Dev.
    She was doing Inter-office (Accounting/Marketing etc) reports.
    She was fixing PC's.
    She was doing Graphic Design
    She was doing maintainance to company intranet.
    She wanted Nester-san to take her place....

ROTFL....
    Last edited by Nestersan; Jan 27, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've long held the opinion that many if not most of the local employers (or persons drafting the vacancy ads) have no clue as to what qualifications to look for so they use the "shotgun" approach ... shoot for everything and hope to get something.

Look at those samples Ropy used - a Sys Admin to do all those tasks? Looks like they want their entire IT Department rolled up in one person, Management and all
    Maybe the pay is all IT Dept rolled into one too ??
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

i think old school management system and poor management are to blame (They don't know what they need) so they ask for every thing in the store , further more they want it at a discounted rate. so the person with the good always should expect to get paid less for what your items are worth and the demands are always going to be high.
    Anything or Anyone that fails to grow will eventually die. {AI}
    -------------------------------------------------
    Tomorrow is the future!
    Today Is the Tomorrow you made Yesterday!{AI}

how hard is to become a CCIE? Is it that no company will pay a CCIE fairly or what? I don't understand why no Jamaican has this certification.
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

Well, if it is as hard an exam as the top tier Novell one was, when Netware was king, I'm not suprised. I met one of them, who said he got calls at 3:30 am to go to airport, plane and ticket waiting on him to go from NY to China to fix Problems !!

Needless, he was $$$$$$$$..

IBM was consolidating and moving a research office and the senior researcher said he is quiting cause he likes walking/living near on the beach. They had to leave office intact, months of planning, staff juggling, etc gone down drain to suit him... (He was dude who found out M$ put in code to screw up how Lotus worked under Windows)

When u is top shotta, u is top shotta.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.