Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: JALUG's Network Administrator Course

can i get some more information on this? i JUST heard about it and would be interested..
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

JALUG's Network Administrator's Course is a 6 to 8 month course. Classes are held on the first and third Sunday of each month from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Currently the course is free. JALUG is a non-profit organization. More importantly, we have been granted access a fully furnished lab in which to hold the classes. This has been a big factor in the success of the course.

The course is designed to teach the skills required to set up and support mixed networks of Windows and Linux machines. We cover the network protocols used by both Linux and Windows. These include:

TCP/IP and network addresses
    DNS - Windows and Linux implementations
    DHCP - Windows and Linux implementations
    LDAP - Directory services - OpenLDAP and Active Directory
    SMTP, POP, IMAP - Mail services - using Postfix as the example
    SSL - OpenSSL and Windows Certificate Services
    Firewalls
    Virtual machines - Virtualbox

We cover a lot of material in a few months. You will need to do a lot of reading and practice on your own. We typically start with 10 - 15 people and end up with 5 - 7 at the end.

If you do not spend time working on your own, you will be left behind. We schedule 2 weeks between classes for this. Most of the people who complete the course get jobs using Linux or start implementing Linux in their current organizations.

Do not start the course unless you have the time to put into it.

Two students from last year's class work at the same company. They have implemented Linux directory services and Linux instant messaging services at work. They are running a Windows 2003 network with Windows XP and Vista clients.

The directory services server stores contact information including email addresses for staff and business partners. Staff query the Linux server using Outlook when they need to find someone's email address.

They use OpenFire as the corporate instant messaging server. This is useful since they operate several locations that communicate over a WAN. The IM clients run on Windows and the IM server runs on Linux.

This year's course started in April. The next one will start in March or April next year. PM me if you want to attend. We already have 2 network administrators registered for next year.
    Last edited by jamrock; May 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM.

mid way thru my CCNA....wouldnt mind checking this out next yearr

It is worth the effort. You will acquire some real skills.

One of the people who attended last year just changed jobs and increased his income. He is now in charge of a network. The first thing he did was to put in an open source firewall between the internet and the company's network.

For some strange reason, they did not have one in place.

I wonder what kinda firewall they had before he got there? Scary!!!!
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

How do I sign up for the course?

Please send me a pm with your name, contact number and email.

BTW, you really need to think about the name you are using. Not good.
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 10, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kknight View Post
    I wonder what kinda firewall they had before he got there? Scary!!!!
    It seems as if they did not have one. There was no protection between their LAN and the internet. Very scary...

I spoke with him recently. He implemented Pfsense as the firewall. He also implemented Pfsense's Snort module for intrusion detection.

We should be wrapping up the current course next month. We started working on email servers last week. After learning Postfix the students will set up Microsoft Exchange for homework. We are testing their ability to take the general principles from Postfix and apply them to another environment.

I have never tried setting up Exchange so it will be a learning experience for me as well.

when is the next course
    computer cell phone sales services and repairs 24/7 technician
    ldougharty@yahoo.com add to msn or yahoo messenger
    twitter @hotheadzo
    4382112 digicel

Sigh, all the good stuff in Kingston, lol. Just yesterday i was using a linux cd to boot a system for restoring purposes and taught it would great to learn Linux!
    Shhhh!I see dead people!