Thread: Caching Proxy

Default Caching Proxy

This inquiry is outside the scope of what I usually do. Does anyone know of a proxy server that can accept requests for URL's, be scheduled for a once or twice a day dial up then cache the retrieved url's for offline browsing?

Default Re:Caching Proxy

I think it can be done.

Either Kbee or Pigeonflight should be able to help you with this.

I think that squid can do what you need, and because it is both for windows and unix it should fit your needs either way.
    For a good product [distro] that will do this for you 'out-the-box' try esmith [http://www.e-smith.org/intro/].
    Ultimately you need to combine squid with diald, so that at a set [cron'ed] time diald is started and based on the cache digest or list that is predefined squid can grab URL's and cache them.
    I am not sure if you are mainly a windows user ,so i fugure that squid is the best fit for you.
    However I will check to see if there are more applications that can do what you need , since diald is unix only ,but wingate or ICS in windows combined with squid may work for you.
    -Kurt

Its essentially for a bush school that has 2 computer labs. 1 computer teacher and is Wintel based. While I have played with linux, I'm not going to be there if anything goes wrong.

The main problem is that C&W wants 250,000 J to run the phone line a quarter of a mile to the school, so we need to find a way to run it thru a cellular connection, but only a few times a day, due to costs

[quote author=mikedaregentile link=board=5;threadid=387;start=0#msg2816 date=1042478716]The main problem is that C&W wants 250,000 J to run the phone line a quarter of a mile to the school, so we need to find a way to run it thru a cellular connection, but only a few times a day, due to costs[/quote]

JM$250,000 to run a phone line for 1/4 of a mile for a school Didn't C&W give some commitment to provide free Internet to Jamaican schools? I know this commitment doesn't include running phone cable, but come on, they should be able to do it for less. If you're really considering using cellular to provide Internet access, the $$ are going to climb high in no time. You guys should check if there's a wireless ISP providing service in the area.

I agree that's kinda cold.

1. I agree with Chris, check out GoTel to see if they are in that area. Maybe in the future Digicel may roll out something to help you.

2. Concerning the software you were asking about... check out WinRoute Pro and see if it isn't perfect for you.

L8r

Thanks for all the suggestions. It gives me some good options to pursue. Its a real drag trying to make this work from my basement in NJ.