Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless laptop

Default wireless laptop

I am bringing an IBM thinkpad to Ja this month. I would like to configure it to work through wireless system using GPRS as we have no phone jacks at the yard.
    I need help in choosing digicel or c&w and along with gprs modem card for the labptop what other elements must I consider?
    How does it work with the providers is what I am really looking for answers to . anybody?

Default Re:wireless laptop

Best way for you to go is to get a Motorolla c332/c330 either cable and wireless or digicel will work, and you can use it with a USB calbe which is quite easy to get, that will cut down on the cost of byuing a wireless card.

Cable and wireless gprs is $9ja per day ;D
    Digicel is still free ;D ;D ;D 8)

PS. c&w motorolla c332 handsets are way cheaper than digicels version.

thanks but do not understand how the usb replaces the wireless card. I so appreciate the help and my apologies for my ignorance re: the subject.

what gprs is tryin to say is u plug one end of the usb cable in the motorola phone an put the other end into ur thinkpad. make sure u get a 5 pin usb cable to normal usb. you will also have to do some configuration which is easy. look in other threads on how to configure it.

I believe that you would use a special USB cable to connect the phone to the laptop and then use the phone as a GPRS modem.

If you already have a tri-band GPRS card that isn't network locked then you can use it along with the SIM that you'll buy. The company from which you buy the SIM and account should be able to walk you through the configuration and also provide the necessary config.

Tell us though ... do you have a GPRS phone or card? Is it only the laptop that you have?

Like Mr. GPRS said Digicel is the way to go....Try getting a Motorolla C333 and Data Cable gonna cost around $80.00 USD total....And you can check this thread for configuration guide http://www.techjamaica.com/tech_foru...;threadid=3519

Note though since recently I have noticed the speed of the Digicel GPRS connection has gotten considerably slower than normal....Though I don't have any experience with C&W connection speed wise you can check it out as an alternative...

oh and welcome to tech jamaica

If I did not want to use the phone is that when the wireless card is needed? I may not want to plug in phone everytime I want to use the laptop.? Is the wireless card (i assume PCMCIA) card proprietary? to C&W and Digicel?

I only have the Laptop right now IBM Thinkpad 760XL
    Before I went shopping I wanted to make sure I buy the right GPRS card and PCMCIA
    Learn about how the providers charge etc. My goal is to link up my friend in Hope Bay with the rest of the world.

[quote author=skayta link=board=26;threadid=3876;start=0#msg35689 date=1083435250]
    If I did not want to use the phone is that when the wireless card is needed? I may not want to plug in phone everytime I want to use the laptop.? Is the wireless card (i assume PCMCIA) card proprietary? to C&W and Digicel?
    [/quote]

That's correct, the GPRS card would replace the phone. Consider though that the GPRS card will cost more than using a phone but it will be sleeker because there won't be any cables to contend with.

If the card is a tri-band (GSM 900/1800/1900) then it will work with either C&W and Digicel.