Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: More GoTel stories

Default Re:More GoTel stories

Just to clear this up and confirm that, yes it is 64Kbps that they sell and that you get.

The "K" or "k" isn't really that big a deal.. even though rightfully it SHUD be "K". The "B" however is where the major difference lies. It makes the difference between Bytes and bits.

Someone gave an excellent explanation of the difference in an article somewhere (maybe Chris could post the URL to find it). Suffice to say though, for those not sure... 1KBps or KiloByte per second is equal to 8Kbps or Kilobits per second.

TechJamaica.com ==> The place for learning about.... stuff! ;D

[quote author=odsamuels link=board=1;threadid=378;start=30#msg2977 date=1043776623]....Someone gave an excellent explanation of the difference in an article somewhere (maybe Chris could post the URL to find it)....[/quote]

I think the posts that odsamuels is referring to are here.

Default Gotel Stories Continue

Well there was a follow up to the star article, this one more speaking more of of the issues people having.
    http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/...features4.html

Now the report appears more realistic and in-line with other experiences that we've been hearing of. While reading the article, I definitely saw DarkAngel's influential e-mail being reflected in it. I can't help but feel that TechJamaica.com and its "investigative reporters" have once again done the Jamaican community a great service 8).

Now that the honeymoon is over he is seeing what others saw a long time ago!!

Its nice to know that he has finally awoken to the truth.

So that would mean that 8kps is the most one would expect from that service on a good day? And the 21kps was just for the publicity....or something to that nature?

Well, I've read from actual users, that they have seemed up to 192 kbps on thier 64 kbps service, just don't expect that when the network gets crowded, I think it would be possible to get more than 64 kbps on a very good day.

[quote author=Chris link=board=1;threadid=378;start=30#msg2984 date=1043795200]
    Now the report appears more realistic and in-line with other experiences that we've been hearing of. While reading the article, I definitely saw DarkAngel's influential e-mail being reflected in it. I can't help but feel that TechJamaica.com and its "investigative reporters" have once again done the Jamaican community a great service 8).
    [/quote]

I was just about to comment on the same thing. Already TechJamaica.com is shaping our local environment... and soon we'll RULE THE WORLD!!!! (insert evil laughter here)

[quote author=torontonian link=board=1;threadid=378;start=45#msg2994 date=1043807838]
    Well, I've read from actual users, that they have seemed up to 192 kbps on thier 64 kbps service, just don't expect that when the network gets crowded, I think it would be possible to get more than 64 kbps on a very good day.
    [/quote]

Once the network isn't down I get consistently good speeds... sometimes its bursty though, which is as equally annoying as being slow.

P.S. Yes I also get some serious bursts.

Default Re:Gotel Stories Continue

[quote author=Spaz link=board=1;threadid=378;start=30#msg2983 date=1043793988]
    Well there was a follow up to the star article, this one more speaking more of of the issues people having.
    http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/...features4.html
    [/quote]

Reading the above article and comparing it with the first one would give one the impression that they were written by two diffrent authors based on the radical change in views , from- " What more could a guy ask for? " , "Setup...is easy as 1,2,3" and "I think that the Gotel system is a 'must have' for everyone" blah blah blah to what's written in the new article. I guess we all must take a grain of salt with every word that that man writes in his articles. However it's good to know that now people will get a better picture of what to expect from GoHell and not be fooled into thinking all is nice and wonderful with this company.