Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More GoTel stories

Default More GoTel stories

Default More GoTel stories

Yeah nice if they could do it consistently!!
    and of course if they are able to continue to provide "quality" service when they are on the market fully!!!

Default Re:More GoTel stories

Hey Torontonian, thanks for the link. To be honest though, I've always considered The Star as a tabloid magazine and so I've always treated their articles as such.

This is an amazing article . It's no wonder why it was published in The Star, not in The Gleaner . This is probably the first totally positive report that I've heard about Gotel. Then again, I'll give him a few weeks for the system to "settle in" and Gotel to forget about the favours granted (quick install time, discounts) for the purposes of the article. Let's see if his opinions on them remain unchanged after that time

It was only two days ago that I bucked-up a guy who has their service. His opinion on the service? Wait until after March or so to give them time to sort themselves out. His service has fluctuating in quality since installation.

Hey all. I've been running GoTel for a little while now. There are some goods and bads.. but for me, at THIS present moment in time, all things considered, the goods sorta out-weigh the bad. Let's see let me just give some feedback for people considering to take the leap.

I signed up, they told me that it would take 3 weeks as they were out of units and had re-ordered. It took 3 weeks exactly (I like that... they tell you things up front). They did seem to have some internal communication problems. It seems to be getting better. On the day of my installation I figured out why there were some communication problems. It seems that the crew that does the installations is not actually from GoTel but sub-contracted. Seeing that myinstallation finished late in the evening, my credit wasn't turned on 'til the next day when the paperwork was brought in. One thing I didn't like (I'm somewhat of a private person), was the entourage that swarmed my house. I had in an instant... 2 vans, 1 car, 2 ladders and six men at my home 2 of which were inside doing the drilling and so forth. The car radio I guess was supposed to help them to whistle while they work and I suppose that is why they felt that they needed to hear it from my roof, although I couldn't figure out why they felt that my entire neighbourhood needed to be in on their particular taste of music (which by the way did not fully match my own).

So, surviving the 4 hour installation period, which wasnt all that bad... setting aside the noise from the drilling, the noise from the radio and the circus excitement on my roof... the guy inside turns to me and tells me to "check it". Thank God I was 'Network literate'. It connected effortlessly, but was REALLY slow. They pretty much said that some things had to be done back at the office. I said okay, acceptable and started to test out the link but not too heavily, til the next day.

The link remained slow for a couple days and I began to bug the customer care centre and knowing them by name and voice. I was told though that they were going to be doing some upgrades... and though it was projected for quite a few days in the future, I prefer to be told when something is REALLY going to happen rather than probablies, suppositions and made-up-stuff. I must say the installation was delayed a couple times but they were pretty straight-forward with it.

Okay then comes the big thing... the upgrade came as they said and since then.. to this date I haven't had a speed problem with it AT ALL. I get my average 60-64Kbps spiking regularly to 72-80Kbps and sometimes even going off the scale to about 129Kbps. There are occasional loss-of -service but the service gets increasingly consistent with each passing day. The voice telephone part is exceptional... with great clarity and the $500 credit lasted so long I was convinced that no one was keeping track of it (that is until about two nights ago). I'm going down there soon to pay my bill, increase my credit and increase my bandwidth pretty soon.

Oh and u saw about the credit in the Star article... some little known further information is that in the future they will be offering calling cards so that you can add credit to your line that way (I love that - debit rather than credit). They unofficial word is that the GoTel - GoTel calls will remain free unless the laws of Jamaica says otherwise.

P.S. Thanks again to my Beloved BELOVED TechJamaica.. if it weren't for this message board I probably wudnt have GoTel at the moment.

- my 2 dollars ;D

L8r Guys.

odsamuels, I really needed that realistic review to give me some hope in Gotel :-\. Thanks. As I'm sure you'll agree and Collin pointed out, they still have some problems with consistency in their service. Let's hope that they're working on this weakness .

Chris, give them time, I think they're not doing too bad, since they haven't even launched yet. They need time to perfect the network, even after they have launched, I doubt it will be the way they would like it, I think it will take atleast a year, until then, you might get a few down times etc. Be happy , I just switched over to this new GSM network in Canada, started about a year ago, it's absolutely disgusting, but you can't get too mad, since they haven't been in the game a long time, and it takes alot of money to build out a network.

OK torontonian, I'll take a page out of your book on patience I think that I must be bandwidth deprived since I'm still stuck with dial-up :'(

[quote author=torontonian link=board=1;threadid=378;start=0#msg2761 date=1042148792]
    Chris, give them time, I think they're not doing too bad, since they haven't even launched yet. They need time to perfect the network, even after they have launched, I doubt it will be the way they would like it, I think it will take atleast a year, until then, you might get a few down times etc. Be happy ,
    [/quote]

A YEAR !!! YOU MUST BE JOKING!!!!

Why would I want to put up with crappy service for a year allowing them to sort themsleves out????

A year in Telecoms is a damn long time if you ask me..... Look what digicel did to CWJ in one year!!!

As long as their is a choice there is NO way that I will put up with Gotel's CRAP!!!

FYI:
    I am still yet to receive service from Gotel !!! yes, installation has been completed one month now or just over a month!!! AND I AM YET to experience the WONDERS of WIRELESS

GOTEL - No WIRES !!!!!

[quote author=Chris link=board=1;threadid=378;start=0#msg2762 date=1042150160]
    OK torontonian, I'll take a page out of your book on patience I think that I must be bandwidth deprived since I'm still stuck with dial-up :'(
    [/quote]

Chris,

I know is not that you are patient at all!!! its just that you have NO CHOICE as yet!!! ;D

As soon as a viable alternative presents itself you will go there!!!

[quote author=Collin link=board=1;threadid=378;start=0#msg2764 date=1042154860]
    Chris,

I know is not that you are patient at all!!! its just that you have NO CHOICE as yet!!! ;D

As soon as a viable alternative presents itself you will go there!!!
    [/quote]

Hehehehe, Collin you figured me out ;D I figured that since at this time I have no choice, I'll treat my "waiting" period as an exercise in patience. Might as well put it to good use ;D