Thread: Game system or super computer ? [Re: PS3]

OK, I really want to know what my kids will say when i let them see what the games on the ps1 and 2 looked like. With processing speed and GPU speed that the PS3 has, it is really going to blur the lines between games and reality [well sooner or later]. Just look at what doom3 is like on todays ATI9700 hardware, and they anticipate that this will have a GPU that is much faster.What will be cool is if they decide to not only make it playback DVD but do MP3,and basic PVR[like a tivo] and email functions.
    Anyway I found this a great read :
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7078

I wonder, if microsoft decides to keep its intel based processor for it's xbox if it will be able to compete the with "cell" architecture, and a 1024bit bus !!!,where did that come from, i can see with 64 and 128bit buses, but 1024, I really need to read just how they attained this.
    -Kurt

I bet they are doing some tricks with a 128bit bus, by mutiplexing 8 independent 128bit buses , but how do they syncronize the data between buses [in the event i am correct], arrhh, forget it, I know nothing of electronics.
    I have a real techie [nerd :-) ] electronics friend that i am going to try to get to answer this.
    -Kurt

Default Re:Game system or super computer ? [Re: PS3]

Hey,
    In reading the article i did see them mention this

"It will run at 4GHz, producing a not inconsiderable 256Gflops, with the cells connected to the central 64MB memory through a switched 1024 bit bus."

So there you have it a switched 1024 bus.

Quote Originally Posted by D0c
    So there you have it a switched 1024 bus.
    Come on D0c , this is a tech board [and i *think* my reading ability is ok], while this is the games section , you must be asking yourself, just how does it work, what is a switched bus, and is it new technology, as not even google returns enough info on the subject ?
    -Kurt

You're right Kurt!...what the blue blazes is a switched bus.?? ???
    You got any info on that.?

a guess a switched bus will be like an intelligent switching interface for ur bus, or an intelligent hub of some kind that will form the basis of ur multeplexer for combinig the 8 128bit independent bus architecture to each other,..................hence 1024.

since it is all so smart(hope fully0 thats where the sync will come from, the idea seems sound and feasible but this is only my idea