Thread: 'REAL' Smart

Default 'REAL' Smart

For those of you who haven't heard. The next incarnation of RealNetwork’s streaming media software will be open source.

Named Helix, this is thought by some to be RealNetwork's last stand against Microsoft. Seeing as how they were not getting enough market share with their proprietary server, they've made the switch to open source.

Is something happening under my nose here? I don't know if anyone's noticed but there seems to be a resurgence of anti Microsoft business moves being made, not just by the usual evangelists, but by the big players in the field.

First it was IBM, then Apple with their 'switch' campaign and now RealNetworks. Is there some alliance forming under the radar or did everyone just wise up at the same time?

Default Re:'REAL' Smart

Companies apparently realise that it's "open-source or no-company" for them when it comes to battling the giant :-\

Default Re: 'REAL' Smart

What happened to this did it come out I will do some searching but anyone has used it and can give a review if it came out?
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

If you're using the latest Realplayer you're using the helix technology.
    currently the helix project is a testing ground/development hub for their new technologies.
    I've used the helix player a year or so ago and thought it was pretty good.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

with all of this anti-microsoft behaviour, what is stopping microsoft from blocking these activities? suppose they just made it difficult for real networks or winamp. like what they did to netscape?
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

What I'm wondering is, will AOL be acquiring Real Networks like what they did with Netscape and Winamp
    私は退屈し, どの考えをも何私の署名として置くために 有しない
    Ignore whatever I post in RED

I don't think that would be good for Realnetworks, based on how they treated netscape and winamp
    Last edited by pigeonflight; Feb 28, 2005 at 01:05 AM.
    www.plone.org

You're saying it wouldn't be good for RealNetworks, but would it in anyway possibly be a good corporate move for AOL or anyone else???
    私は退屈し, どの考えをも何私の署名として置くために 有しない
    Ignore whatever I post in RED

from where I'm standing it looks like a watch and see scenario. I can't make any worthwhile comments with respect to the other side of the coin.
    www.plone.org