Thread: Digi International AccelePort RAS

Default Digi International AccelePort RAS

Someone needs to set up a RAS server with several modems.

Has anyone used the Digi International AccelePort RAS products? Are they any good? What issues does he need to look out for?

Can anyone recommend another multi-modem board?

Default Re:Digi International AccelePort RAS

As far as I know the majority of ISP's uses Livingston/Lucent Portmaster for thier RAS servers, this is the type I worked with they usually supports 2 PRI's or T1's and supports ISDN, 56k digital and analog you can check portmasters.com
    As forDigi Int Ras I dont know much about them.....

You should also check http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/iad/index.html
    Cisco are now the leaders in network appliance, for your situation thier 2500 series access routers should be exactly what you need.

Thanks.

Someone mentioned the Cisco 2600 or 3600 line. There is an additional Cisco 8-port Analog Modem network module that had to be purchased as well.

What is the difference between the 2500 series and the other two? What would he have to get in addition to the 2500 series router?

I need someone to translate something into English for me.

I contacted portmasters.com and asked about their products.

The reply was as follows:

You can use the pm25 or pm2e but you wont ever get v.90 speeds with analog lines.

Okay... Wonderful... Not understanding what this means, I asked:

Will the speed be approx. the same as using a US Robotics 56K modem? I am not sure what v.90 speeds are.

To which he replied:

You can't get 56k imcoming on an analog line. It will be 33600 at best.

What does this mean in simple English? Will the speed on this type of equipment be similar to what I have with my standard US Robotics 56k modem or not? I just need to compare Portmaster's products with something I use now.

When will I.T. people learn to speak English?

V.90's data transfer is 33.6Kbps upstream and 56Kbps downstream when your V.90 56K modem is connected to an ISP. The assumption is that the ISP's end of the modem session has a pure digital connection to the phone network. If, however, the ISP's connection to the phone network is non-digital (analog), then your upstream/downstream will be 33.6Kbps/33.6Kbps.

So what they're telling you is that if you use their device (pm25 or pm2e) and connect it to an analog line, then your clients/remote user connecting to you will not get V.90 speeds (33.6Kbps/56Kbps up/down) but will get 33.6Kbps/33.6Kbps up/down. The only way to provide V.90 speeds to your clients/remote users is for you to connect the device to a pure digital line which will cost you.

I hope this helps.

I hear you loud and clear Chris.

At least someone still speaks English.

This situation is a bit different. The users will be connecting over an analog line to a lan. The connection on the other side will be ethernet.

We are just using the pm25 or pm2e as a multi-modem remote access server. How will this affect their speeds?

[quote author=jamrock link=board=3;threadid=368;start=0#msg3413 date=1046216192]...This situation is a bit different. The users will be connecting over an analog line to a lan. The connection on the other side will be ethernet.

We are just using the pm25 or pm2e as a multi-modem remote access server. How will this affect their speeds?[/quote]

The LAN will have to be connected to the phone network to allow users to dial-in. If the LAN is connected by an analog connection then 33.6Kbps both ways. If the LAN is connected by pure digital connection to the phone network then 33.6Kbps/56Kbps up/down for your users.

I understand.

I will need to purchase some modems to work with the device. He recommended the USR MP16. I can't find those anywhere, including US Robotics.

Are there any modems that you can recommend for use with a device such as this? I guess they would be some sort of multi-modem device...

The devices can be rack mounted so I would love to have everything neatly mounted on a rack.

I have been reading about RADIUS. I think I will set up a RADIUS server to do authentication.