Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Network

Default House Network

I jus wanna to find out somethings. i running a network at home to share internet but many times the internet not browsing. I ave a speed touch modem and a Cnet 8 port switch. There are 5 computers on the switch but iz like wen everybody on the connection slow down or nuttin at all. Wat is the general procedure for runnnig a network like this

That is normal, the bandwidth is shared amungst everybody using it.

More people = less resources.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    There are 5 computers on the switch but iz like wen everybody on the connection slow down or nuttin at all.
    Get rid of the bandwidth hogs and you should be OK.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

also the modem keeps timing out - wen i run a connectivity test d modem tells me dat it not connected to the internet , also does anybody kno why a C&W technician has to come to put settings in modem cus i waiting on them how long to come set the settings in the modem for the 2MB package

Post Things to Think About

I jus wanna to find out somethings. i running a network at home to share internet but many times the internet not browsing. I ave a speed touch modem and a Cnet 8 port switch. There are 5 computers on the switch but iz like wen everybody on the connection slow down or nuttin at all. Wat is the general procedure for runnnig a network like this
    First of all what is your internet connection speed? What you plan on running / doing with these five pc on your network (check mail, gaming, downloading, etc). You may want to think about turning one of these pc into a proxy (for bandwidth management) or getting bandwidth limitation software.

Holla back.
    Dain Bramaged
    Google Voice: 954-779-6436

http://www.prolexic.com Now Apart of Akamai Technologies

I use an 8 port switch, but only two laptops are connected using c&w 512kbps
    The cable from the modem is in port 1;
    I am not experiencing that prob.
    < 100Mbps >
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

well i intend to us it for downloadin and email,how wud u set one the machines as a proxy

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34422 Bandwidth limiter software being discussed in another thread
    I dream in my dream all the dreams of the other dreamers and I become the other dreamers.
    1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

there are no servers on this network,iz only a switch we using but i dont want to install the bandwidth software on each machine, wat is the best way to limit bandwidth jus using a simple switch

Post Home Network Bandwidth Limiting.

there are no servers on this network,iz only a switch we using but i dont want to install the bandwidth software on each machine, wat is the best way to limit bandwidth jus using a simple switch
    The easiest way is to turn one of your machine into a proxy with bandwidth control or QoS. The other way is to purchase a QoS / Bandwidth Limiting Switch. Let us know which why you want to go.

PS. Putting a Bandwidth Limiter Software on each pc is just a good also, I also this there is one that is FREE!!!
    Dain Bramaged
    Google Voice: 954-779-6436

http://www.prolexic.com Now Apart of Akamai Technologies