Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycoris: A Linux OS good for Grandma

Default Lycoris: A Linux OS good for Grandma

Check out this article on an interestingly new flavour of Linux.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2...8/licoris.html

I'd like to try this one out.

Default Re:Lycoris: A Linux OS good for Grandma

After reading the article, Lycoris looks impressive. I too would like a copy in order to test it out.

One of the features that I really like is
    "...an enhanced version of Konqueror that allows Desktop/LX to seamlessly integrate into the file sharing on Windows networks."

Cheers to Lycoris

As programmers:
    Don't you think making an operating system so automated is in effect making Windows all over again :-\

Later on, troubleshooting would be confined to only a graphical interface. Then you won't be able to fix a problem because the you won't know how to use a shell or they aren't available.

Yes, an OS like Lycoris is in effect making Windows all over again...with one big difference! Lycoris will be open source and cheaper than Windows. Some techies frown on GUI OSs, they prefer the good ole command line OS. That's OK for them, but we need to remember that the majority of users prefer GUI and that's why Windows was able to make the strides that it did. IMHO - any open source GUI OS is something we should support.

For all you GURUS! that think that life should be defined by a command line statement. I wish you were around in 1975 when I started my career in computers and had to use punch cards......this will give you an insight into why GUIs were developed in the first place.

The strenght of the command line has it's place and purpose. ie. DOS command line has not disappeared from any version of Windows, has it?

To expect that what's good for the goose is also good for the gander is being very shortsighted.

Personally, I've been there a and suffered enough with syntax error and the likes when it came to command line execution. I even wrote my own command ine macro to relief some of the pain of doing the same thing numerous times.

When the situation requires it then a command line is fine, otherwise let the computer do the work!

-donavon

In my opinion, programmers and technical support personnel should make it their duty to master (and even love) the command line if using Linux. In the Windows environment don't worry to much about commandline. Windows don't have that much under the hood anyway.

Have you ever gotten complacent with your own homemade macros and neat utilities/tools on your personal zippy machine and then having to go to a client's site to use their machine (without all your favourite bells and wistles installed)?. In such a case not knowing command line can have you running around like a chicken without a head. You now feel lost because you are so accustomed to your favorite GUIs.

I started programming in the early 80's using GW-BASIC and machine language and using command line editors like Edlin so I guess that I am used to it. Because of that background, I have a fair idea of what goes on in the background at the processor level which helps me in my programming even to this day.

So learning computing the hard way has its benefits and In my opinion, true programmers don't mind the command line even if they use GUI most of the time.

For application end-users however, GUI is the way to go. At the end of the day productivity is the key. Techies need to be able to fall back on rudimentary tools on rainy days.

As I always say to people who are learning to drive: Master stick-shift first before buying an automatic car. This way if an emergency arises you will have no problem driving a stick-shift...

Just my 2 pence ;D

stick-shifts rule azz.

Yep, once you don't have much traffic ;D

[flash=200,200]http://www.kairosmd.com/flash/internet048.swf[/flash]

As an illustration why command line is a necessity in these modern oses:

After about a total of 30 hrs downloading a openoffice.org 1.0.1 in tar.gz, I can't install it. (Not to count Zsnes and flash, etc.) >

When I installed Mandrake 8.2, I didn't get a './configure' or a 'make' script. And I don't know how Alien converts files.

In effect, I am asking for help, of course. But is a GUI always going to make the end-user have it easier when GUIs are, most times, just an interface with command lines?

If I depend on a GUI I will get knocked more sooner than later.

E.g., I re-installed Mandrake 5 times before I found the commands 'startkde' or 'startx'.

I find most people use the command line not because they have to, but because they suffer from a "i use the command line so I'm smarter than you" complex. I know since I suffer from the same thing.

Nothing like mezzing the script kiddies with your vast knowledge of bash and editing your PHP in VI when they're using composer.

However, that doesn't make it right. The GUI was developed to make your life easier, not for you to shun it and revert to more arcane methods.

Anyone who says that they prefer a command line to a GUI are fooling themselves. If GUI's are too girlish for you and you REALLY want to be a hacker, then use pen and paper.

Any takers...didn't think so.