Thread: Rack Mountable Box

Default Rack Mountable Box

Does anyone know where I can get rack mountable pc cases? Do such things exist?

We need to build a few servers for testing networking applications. Black boxes would be preferred but we will use other colours if they are available.

Default Re:Rack Mountable Box

I've never seen these type of PC cases - doesn't mean though that they don't exist I'm guessing that since there are already rack mountable servers available then there may be no market for rack mountable PC cases.

Strangely enough I found a few at cdw.com.

There is this company called Boom Rack (boomrack.com) that makes some. Intel also makes some.

Intcomex.com lists the Intel 2U case but cdw.com and intel.com list 1U and up.

I need to do the math on this one. We don't really need a high performance server here. If the savings aren't significant, we will have to go for a low end Dell.

All you hardware gurus who build machines every other week. What would you put in the box to make a decent server?

I just need a simple 1U machine with two 80 GB hard drives, cd rom, floppy and 512 of memory. It is for a test environment but we need it on a rack since space is limited.

PC Shop had two rackmountable boxes last week.

The 4u box was sold almost as soon as it got in. The 2u box was there up to Friday evening.

They plan to keep a few in stock, depending on the demand.

jamrock, thanks for the lead. It's good to know that there's a local source of these boxes if the need for one ever arises.

Just a few questions...

Are you still searching?

Do u want the servers pre-built or just the cases?

What's your budget/max you have slated to spend per box?

What kind of application u plan to use the box for (i.e. Internet/Databse/etc.)?

Hi Odsamuels.

No we have found what we need. We will assemble one and see how it works out. We will use a 2U rack from Boomrack.com and an Intel motherboard running P4.

We were looking for a case.

Our budget was really to compare buying 2 low end Dells or building two cheap servers. We just need them for testing/training so we don't need high performance machines. The only rub is that we need rackmountable boxes since space is an issue.

We will be dual booting Linux and Windows 2000 server. We will be doing training in things like qmail, internet connectivity, Windows 2000 RAS, terminal services...

From time to time we have to demo software to clients and at other times we have to train people.

The problem with the low end Dells is that they only have one PCI slot available since they are 1U boxes. The Boomrack boxes have a 3 slot PCI riser card so we have a little more flexibility. We may have to shove in a multi-modem board at some stage of the game.

We will try one. If the perfomance is good, we will build another.