Page 273 of 273 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273
Results 2,721 to 2,726 of 2726

Thread: Tech Humor

Yep. Seems legit. Data mining is everywhere now.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Red face

This Is Why Those Annoying Messages Exist

I am the contact person in my workplace for a system that we license from a third party. This system allows you to build web pages simply by adding boxes with content. I am approached by a colleague who asks for my help.

Me: “What seems to be the problem?”

Colleague: “I was wondering if you could restore a box to my page?”

Me: “I can probably do that, how did it vanish?”

Colleague: “I deleted it.”

Me: “So, when you deleted it did you notice the message on the delete screen that says, ‘I understand this cannot be undone,’ and click the checkbox saying you understood this?”

Colleague: “Yes, but I thought you would have a backup.”
    For every computer problem there is an upgrade with equal and opposite problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrass View Post
    “Yes, but I thought you would have a backup.”
    Seems a reasonable expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrass View Post
    Colleague: “Yes, but I thought you would have a backup.”
    Unfortunately in this day and age users' expectations for systems are way higher than years ago. So, the message implying "I understand this cannot be undone,’ and click the checkbox saying you understood this?" you'd have been interpreted by a "typical" user as "you the user cannot undo it but there are admins that can pull a backup". What the message should probably say is something more explicit for the "typical" user is like "I understand this cannot be undone or restored by users, admins or the system".
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Unfortunately in this day and age users' expectations for systems are way higher than years ago. So, the message implying "I understand this cannot be undone,’ and click the checkbox saying you understood this?" you'd have been interpreted by a "typical" user as "you the user cannot undo it but there are admins that can pull a backup". What the message should probably say is something more explicit for the "typical" user is like "I understand this cannot be undone or restored by users, admins or the system".
    +1 for this. I actually had things restored from an online storage provider after the expiry date. Email request sent - they said no promises - but managed to restore all of the files.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".