Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contactless Payments in Jamaica

Default Contactless Payments in Jamaica

Hey Guys, I wanted to create a thread on TechJamaica to raise awareness about the proliferation of contactless payments in Jamaica. As it stands Contactless is only limited to cards at the moment. Moreover, as to cards available to the public at the moment, only CIBC FirstCaribbean International Bank offers contactless on all their cards as opposed to Scotiabank which "intends" to go contactless and NCB which only offers it on their Mastercard World Elite Card for premium clients. As to Contactless acceptance, it's currently only limited to Scotiabank POS terminals which are already few and far between but those that are recently re-issued. In Kingston, I have only seen it available at Asia's Cafe, CPJ Deli/Market and Fontana Pharmacy. I've not been back out west in a while but I'll have a check to see how it fares on that side too. Have you guys ever experienced Contactless Payments/Tap & Pay/Apple or Google Pay in Jamaica? How's it been? Let's get a good thread going.

It would be nice to have those services available. Without the larger banks like NCB and Scotiabank adopting such technology we will just have to wait.
    PHONE: XR

Quote Originally Posted by BountyKilla View Post
    It would be nice to have those services available. Without the larger banks like NCB and Scotiabank adopting such technology we will just have to wait.
    Well, again, Scotiabank offers the capability to its merchants... it is soon to come. Moreover, on the flip side is Visa & Master card issuing Mandates to issuers of terminals and cards that they must be contactless capable as of October 13, 2018. Scotiabank has confirmed with me that they are indeed going EMV with Visa Debit in Jamaica but given Visa's mandate, it may be a case where it comes with Visa Paywave too when it launches in short order. I was also reliably told that NCB is launching finally Visa Debit (presumably with Contactless) in 2019. If NCB goes Visa Debit, EMV will become invariably entrenched in Jamaican banking which sets the precedent for contactless.

The only thing I care about right now, is Samsung Pay / Google Pay being full-time available here, as I'm nervous each time I hand a cashier my card to swipe (even when I have to enter my PIN).
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

I mostly use cash. The convenience is not enough of a benefit for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I challenge you to go cashless... The security of contactless and EMV outweighs the "ease" of cash. As the cost of handling cash increases each passing day, merchants will begin to favour contactless & electronic forms of payment. This is already happening in some segments of society.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    How do you deal with having to find "change" for your transactions? I hate having to deal with those copper coins back in the days much-less our 1$ coin as our smallest denomination which I'm yet to take to the bank to change out.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    The only thing I care about right now, is Samsung Pay / Google Pay being full-time available here, as I'm nervous each time I hand a cashier my card to swipe (even when I have to enter my PIN).
    I wouldn't hold my breath. But it would be nice to see movement towards this. Even then I feel only a few Banks will be supported

...only then would I trust NCB again. I get nervous each time I hand my card to a merchant, only to realize that it is a NCB card machine they are about to swipe my card in.
    HTML Code:

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath. But it would be nice to see movement towards this. Even then I feel only a few Banks will be supported
    I've asked CIBC FirstCaribbean to look into this as they've got the backend function (tokenization) down already. They've said to me that while they can get it up and going in no time (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay), it has to go through regulatory proceedings in each territory; a hassle and a half. This is why they went the contactless card route in the interim. Never the less, they seem to be the only amply suited player to truly launch digital wallet solution in the near term.

P.S. I never worry about my card particulars being stolen as not even CIBC's cards' Chip actually knows the PIN muchless the Mag Stripe... it's all secured in the bank's backend in Canada.