Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook's changes to the terms of service for WhatsApp

Default Facebook's changes to the terms of service for WhatsApp

WhatsApp's terms of service will be changing/updated on February 8, 2021. Apparently the notification came via a pop-up in the app, likely after an update. I like others have likely just clicked the "agree" button without really looking into it, but with recent developments and information coming out that Facebook will gain more access to WhatsApp user data via this change in privacy policy, I'm now re-thinking my use of WhatsApp going forward. I'm already not a big user or fan of Facebook and the thought that they'll get more data on me is concerning.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

https://www.slashgear.com/whatsapp-c...ives-10654305/

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...461-2021-01-09

https://beebom.com/whatsapp-vs-telegram-vs-signal/

I don't really care. I'll keep the messengers on my phone - WhatsApp - Telegram - Signal. From what I've seen, Telegram has always had more features. Signal seems more secure and promising. Not just because Elon Musk mentioned it. Until WA dies or changes their ways, I'll still keep it to stay in touch with others who don't or won't move.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Lol, whatsapp can die for all I care. Its a waste of so many people's time. The only reason I still use fb is that it reminds me of birthdays and has a small audience of people who have no other existance except on a site that is wasting thier time.

Last thing I need is another tech firm trying to get more data on me to give me a more personalized ad experience. I won't be accepting the agreement.
    Who really need to get in contact with me can call me or msg me on Telegram.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I have pretty much accepted that real privacy probably does not exist, and once you use a company's services and their infrastructure, there are no absolute guarantees with your data. So the gameplan is to minimize the data put out there. Necessary stuff only.

as said above- just to minimize how much utilization, this will affect persons more that uses the commerce functions like Whatsapp Pay and interactions with businesses as well
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

They trying to be like WeChat.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Question, how does one check whether they've accepted the new TOS? People mostly click "accept" without reading the pop-up TOS when a new app version comes out.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

So WhatsApp/Facebook has pushed back the implementation of the privacy policy updates from Feb 8 to May 15. They're going to use the extra time to help people understand the policy changes. Looks like shifts in sentiments for big tech companies is making them revisit how and what they do ... hopefully.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

For my work phone I will be keeping Whatsapp. However for personal phone I will be moving to Telegram or Signal. I have been thinking of moving from whatapp for sometime now due to Facebook's involvement.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500