Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing a Corrupted Flash Drive?

Angry Repairing a Corrupted Flash Drive?

Sup ppl?
    I got a 1 Gig SanDisk flash drive. I was copying a 300 M.B. file to it a few days ago when a balloon appeared above the system tray saying:
    Windows Delay Write Failed
    *something like* The file Windows was trying to save to E: (the flash drive)
    has failed. This might be caused by a bad network connection or hardware.
    Please try saving the file somewhere else.

I keep getting that error everytime I try to transfer files to or from the Flash Drive, reguradless of the computer I use. I tried to format it in Windows, the Command Line, Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt but I keep getting an error saying "The drive is in use" Even when I run the command to unmount the drive before format.
    But when I run check disk to just scan the drive, it works, and it tells me there are errors on it and I should run check disk again with the fix errors option, but when I do that, I get the same errors as when I run format.

I was thinking of trying to use format and check disk on the flash drive as soon as the computer starts up, since as the errors say the drive is in use.
    Also, I was wondering if there is some kind of software that can repair drives, as well as any suggestions you ppl have.

Thanks in advance.

-Des
    Last edited by Desolator4U; Nov 3, 2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Corrected an OBVIOUS typo
    .::i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS9700 HSF / MSI GTX 760 OC Gaming / ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 / 2x8GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 / XFX PRO 750W PSU / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, WD 1x500GB, 1x750GB 1x1,000GB / 2xDVD ODD / Sound Blaster Z / EarForce X12 Surround Headset / Logitech G15 Keyboard & MX518 Mouse / 27" Samsung 1080p HDTV::.

Quote Originally Posted by Desolator4U View Post
    Sup ppl?
    I got a 1 Gig SanDisk flash drive. I was copying a 300 G.B. file to it a few days ago when a balloon appeared above the system tray saying:

-Des
    dude are u sure it was 300gb file and not a 300mb
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 3, 2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: removed comment
    self proclaimed GADGETking
    berries useful but sometimes make me sick, apples are better but cliding, so im not part a the fruity alliance heres my bbpin:null
    make the link (876) 386-0468 or dtgo4eva@gmail.com--

Anyway... You aren't being helpful. Obviously I was transfering a 300 M.B. (Megabyte) file! Daym! Anything else you wanna add? (pertaining to my flash drive prob)

I need help with this people!

-Des
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 3, 2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: removed comment
    .::i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS9700 HSF / MSI GTX 760 OC Gaming / ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 / 2x8GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 / XFX PRO 750W PSU / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, WD 1x500GB, 1x750GB 1x1,000GB / 2xDVD ODD / Sound Blaster Z / EarForce X12 Surround Headset / Logitech G15 Keyboard & MX518 Mouse / 27" Samsung 1080p HDTV::.

i'd say its gone.....get another one.

or you can try a long shot...see if there is a specific driver for it.

generally, the pins wear out and though it can sometimes log in as a device, it just wont hack it....

Try this:

1. Insert thumb drive
    2. Right click it in my computer and go to properties
    3. Select the hardware tab
    4. In the "All disk drives" list, ensure the usb drive is highlighted
    5. Click the properties button to open the properties for your usb drive
    6. Select the Policies tab and ensure that "Optimize for quick removal" is selected and not "Optimize for performance".
    7. Choose "Optimize for quick removal" option if that is not the case and click okay to save your settings and close the properties window.

//Assuming your usb drives partition is now corrupt

8. Go to Start->run
    9. Type "compmgmt.msc" without the quotations and press "Ok" button.
    10. In the computer management console's list on the left, go to Storage->Disk Management.
    11. In the list of drives, right click your usb drive and choose format.

Hopefully you will be back in business after this.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

Psybuck, has that method ever worked for you? I'm going to try it on an old 256 that i have. I think the drive has just gone bad though and needs replacement. Give partition magic a go as well.

Tried it earlier this week on a friends usb drive and it work. BTW, the drive never picked up in partition magic, so i used the disk management from the computer manager console. It picked up fine there and partitioned the drive ok. Maybe the MODS can sticky this thread if it works for you since it always works for me as long as the drive is not physically damaged.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

u can try this to check the drive for errors.

at the command prompt type E: and enter
    type chkdsk /p /r (it will check the drive for errors including bad sectors)
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

psybuck2002us, you sure know your stuff. But I already tried your suggestions, 'Optimise for Removal' was already selected and when I tried format in the disk managemant area, I got a imilar message about the format being unsuccessful.
    I'm gonna try Partition Magic and any other hard drive partitioning and repairing software I can find. I assume that since I can still view the files on the flash drive then it should be able to be fixed. Also, when I insert the flash drive, a dialog box keeps poping up saying the drive is not ready and I should close the tray. I guess this is the reason why windows keeps saying the drive is in use and can't format or run check disk.
    It's been less than six months since my dad got me this 1 Gig. flash drive, I gotta get it working again.

-Des

Mine died yesterday Getting I/O hardware failure error when trying to access my files. Tried psybuck's suggestion, but got "Format did not complete successfully" error. Well it was only 256mb, getting a gig now
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.