Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: good IT salary

Default Re:good IT salary

[quote author=Ropy link=board=9;threadid=352;start=0#2566 date=1040749548]
    ...So it was a good thing I didn't go, cause maybe a friend and I start a Network Security Company all depends on how things a run. Noh Tek wek wi idea still...
    [/quote]

Ropy, hope I don't dampen your plans but, I know of a guy starting/started an IT security company in Kingston. Look at it this way, even if several persons start a similar company there's work for everybody as long as your company exhibits professionalism and competence I don't think that Ja. can sustain this "brain drain" for much longer :-\

http://swz-hotjobs.salary.com/

I am from the US, so I'm not sure if it will help, but could be a good reference point.

[quote author=SteveG link=board=9;threadid=352;start=0#msg3223 date=1045005503]
    http://swz-hotjobs.salary.com/

I am from the US, so I'm not sure if it will help, but could be a good reference point.[/quote]

It may not accurately reflect local salaries, but it's a good starting point to appreciate what the foreign salary scale is like.

[quote author=Ropy link=board=9;threadid=352;start=0#msg2566 date=1040749548]
    So it was a good thing I didn't go, cause maybe a friend and I start a Network Security Company all depends on how things a run. Noh Tek wek wi idea still...
    [/quote]

Sounds like a good idea... if u need ppl for outsourced help feel free to link me.

First let me say this U will not receive 60,000 USD if u have Network+ or any plus ,if u were certified to program Visual C++ for that matter 60,000 USD is a long shot, i know of some one who is a MCSE and a MCDBA went to college in america,is now working there and taking home 33,000 usd per year.Listen check dice.com in The US companies want degrees and experience, certs help u to diffrentiate nothing more.The companies who offer certifications always post fake salaries

I am currently in the Programming field, and the Programmers where i work i work are getting from 44,000 to 150,000, the problem really is just working hard to move from the 44,000 to the big dough

But anyway you take it it all boilds down to who your working for, how good you are, your qualifications etc... Never the less they pay alot of money concidering what others are getting... Depending on who your working for, cause I have cousin programming games for Pc and X-Box not sure who he's working for. But I know he's getting about US$60,000 per year, and he recently started. He was with another company before programming for PS2 getting the same... Some pay more because they have it and want to keep their workers...

The job market is rough all over but don't be discouraged. In Jamaica, the IT field is one of the few that is showing growth. And the salaries at entry level are generally better than other fields like accounting etc.

Definitely get your degree(s) because that will open up more options. Also do certs because they help to demonstrate practical proficiency when combined with experience.

Making links with people in the industry is also a must. The playing field is not fair, so give yourself as much advantage as possible, as long as it's legal and ethical

The money will come. You may not get rich quickly, but you will do alright, once you start and keep working smart.

Hey BlackCryptoKnight welcome to techjamaica

Hope to see you around more often.......

what would be a good salary to receive if you were a computer programmer (database programmer) specialing in web applications.

ASP / PHP
    MSSQL
    NETWORKING

Knowledge of:
    C/C++
    VB
    Vfoxpro
    (Got MS Suite DOWN!!)

exhibiting high level of competency, hard working (whole heep a overtime), quick learner.. and 2 years of experience.