Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: c++ alive or dead

Default Re:c++ alive or dead

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=19;threadid=3497;start=0#msg32535 date=1081180117]
    En contrar mon capitan, C++ is primarily used today in specialized low level functions such as:
    I bet you didn't know that?
    [/quote]

if you re-read the question =

whats going on wit the c++ programmers these threads haven't been used for ages. come on people. its a wonderful language treat it as such.
    he's asking a question directed at the people who use C++ on this forum. I bet you didn't know that?

Aaaah, mon capitan - I conceed. ;D Been breeding one too many interpolation problems lately - brain getting mushy.

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=19;threadid=3497;start=0#msg32306 date=1081041284]
    Ya beat me to it CKnight.

Out of sheer curiosity in determining your motivations, how skillful are y'all with C/C++?
    - Learning phase (what's a pointer?)
    - Application phase (virtual Datastructures made of pointers)
    - Advanced Phase (Creating/animating 3D objects using vectors made of datastructures made of pointers)

So which is it?
    [/quote]

I have considerable experience with C having created a variery of production grade applications and libraries. As far as C++ goes things are a little difficult to say. I have a sound theoretical knowledge (I think) of C++ but no real practical experience. As for my motivation, I want to encourage more development in my favourite programming language (i.e. C).

[quote author=CKnight link=board=19;threadid=3497;start=0#msg32305 date=1081040100]
    http://www.techjamaica.com/tech_foru...;threadid=3067
    [/quote]

I assume you are talking about the "TechJamaica ticker" project. I have been watching the posts about this project to see if it will get going.

[quote author=sking link=board=19;threadid=3497;start=0#msg32829 date=1081304740]
    I assume you are talking about the "TechJamaica ticker" project. I have been watching the posts about this project to see if it will get going.
    [/quote]

That or any other. I was just throwing out an idea of something I thought would be usefull to me (I'm pretty selfish) and maybe to others (a side thought).

If you people are idle enough make a post with your skillz/interest in that thread and I'll start organizing something.

RogUE_KoDEr Guest

Hey gang whats up? I've been checking out this forum for a while and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that my suspicions of being the only person in JA interested in C++ is incorrect.

Fact is, I'm a self-taught C++ programmer with a lot of interest in, but not enough time to learn assembly programming. Being self taught I'm always glad for the opportunity to interact with other programmers who are willing to share their wisdom as I do not yet consider myself "mature" with regard to programming.

Personally I think C++ will never really die but it will eventually become more and more reserved for speed critical applications which need to consume as little memory and space as possible. For example ecryption engines and data storage device drivers.

I say this because most of the more popular programming languages such as JAVA (YUCK!!!) seem to be designed specifically for Rapid Application Development but they really suffer when it comes to speed (eg. JAVA), and or excess bloat (eg. VB). If I missed the ball on anything I said here please dont hesitate to correct me, as I said before, I'm here to learn.

TechJamaica Rules!!!! Keep up the good work!

Heh no u're not the only one.

But even where I work C++ projects have been few and far between. But they come by occasionally.

Would love to sink my teeth into a serious project soon tho

RogUE_KoDEr welcome to tech jamaica, C++ will never die because there r alot of programs written in C++ that needs to be maintained