Thread: PCAnywhere & Win XP

Default PCAnywhere & Win XP

I'm having trouble getting two Win XP PCs connected using PCAnywhere 10.5. The host has Win XP Pro and the remote has Win XP home. I'va also tried another remote PC with Win XP Pro and still no success. In both cases the two PCs connect and briefly handshake but then abruptly disconnects.

To complicate matters, I've been successful in connecting to the same Win XP Pro host with a Win 2k PC. I've also successfully connected a Win XP PC to a Win 2k host. My conclusion is that a Win XP - Win XP connection with PCAnywhere is trouble. I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that Win XP has its built in remote connection software.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks.

Default Re:PCAnywhere & Win XP

Seems like the Xp Home machine is the misconfigured machine here.
    Under the HOST tab in pcanywhere manager right click the host allowed to answer calls usually localhost select properties and Click the SECURITY tab make sure the encryption level here is the same as the other machine you are connecting from......

Usually it would prompt you if encryption levels differ but try this and tell me what happens.....Or you can simply and another host on the XP home pc with a new caller id and password and see what happens....

Above is what I did when I got a simplier error connecting to Nt Servers from 2000 Pro..

If u are attempting to view a remote desktop with software other than remote assistance u are vilotaing ur license as Windows Xp GUI is not allowed to be viewed by third party software like pc anywhere.

You dont need to use a third arly software like pc anywhere..Just for information safe pc anywhere isn't that secure, plus its sends information about your machine every now and then..I've used pc anywhere for some weeks now and its not fun at all...It uses up too much pagefile(virtual memory) and is unstable on some versinos of windows xp....

why not use the remote desktop uitility that microsoft provides..It integrated perfectly with the system and have been doing wonders for me..And if you are curious about it working on older versions of windows..it can work on win95SE, win98, win98SE, winME, win2000..that client version of it though....Hope i could help:::

http://www.utasce.com/html/Print/New....php?sendid=19

Shotta......

Tech_Guru: I've compared remote settings with the Win 2K PC that was able to connect and everything was identical, so I doubt that's were the problem is.

jrcdba: Yeah right Sounds like Microsoft alright ;D

Philpotts: How do you get the client portion of the remote desktop utility on a non Win XP PC?

Thanks guys for your responses.