Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

I was un-aware of this.

Can someone answer my query in post #4?
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    I take it that this will not work with laptops without floppy drives.
    y? it doesnt say anything about floppies
    I have a legetimate copy of XP home installed on my laptop. I want to install a (questionable) copy of Windows Media Center. Does anyone know if I can use this to "restore" a copy of Media Center on my machine?
    i doubt there would be any since they are 2 different OS's...
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

sometimes this reapir does not come up in when something is wrong with windows and i put in the CD..and other times it comes without a doubt...

yes this is a very good feature of XP but as was mentioned before it does not always come up. what i would do in such a case is boot the system from the knoppix cd (linux OS on cd) and back up the data to another drive or partition and just do a clean install.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

girldemsuga Guest

This repair feature has existed from Windows 2000, the Win 2000 repair is a bit difference from Win XP in that; you are given the option to select which OS file to repair.
    The repair Console on the other hand came in handy for me weekend past, I have a 200GB Hard drive with Windows XP on one partion and Suse Linux installed on the other half. I I moved around the hard drive in the system (change which controller they were on), tried to boot up the system and Linux could not load and the linux boot loader could not find my Windows installation.
    I tried to to repair Linux which fix the linux prob but Windows could not be found; so I ran the repair console and ran the 2 following commands:
    FIXMBR
    FIXBOOT
    Then repaired Linux again and everything was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    I take it that this will not work with laptops without floppy drives.

I have a legetimate copy of XP home installed on my laptop. I want to install a (questionable) copy of Windows Media Center. Does anyone know if I can use this to "restore" a copy of Media Center on my machine?
    You wont need a floppy drive to use the repair console.
    Some files are shared with all versions of XP but i would recommend you get Windows Media Center Edition to repair a Media Center Edition installation. Though in the past i have used Media Center Edition to Repair XP Pro.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Sep 22, 2006 at 02:20 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

i always use this when the machines i use start to slow down for unknown reasons. when its not my machine and I don't want to backup their data from all over the place and reinstall their software.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by girldemsuga View Post
    You wont need a floppy drive to use the repair console.
    Some files are shared with all versions of XP but i would recommend you get Windows Media Center Edition to repair a Media Center Edition installation. Though in the past i have used Media Center Edition to Repair XP Pro.
    Remember MCE is and extenison of the Core Windows XP Professional. The repair wont install the MC components as they were not there before.
    Heroes to Mentors -

Is that what all the hoopla is about? Aw come on. What happens though is that, while you still have your data, things like OFFICE will have to be re-installed because they won't apppear in Program and you have to re-install service packs. The files will still be on your machine but unrecognizeable.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

girldemsuga Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic View Post
    Is that what all the hoopla is about? Aw come on. What happens though is that, while you still have your data, things like OFFICE will have to be re-installed because they won't apppear in Program and you have to re-install service packs. The files will still be on your machine but unrecognizeable.

Thats not the experience I have had in the past, as a matter of fact, the only software which something give a problem after a repair is the Anti-Virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic View Post

Thats not correct dude.... done it quite a few times and it works well.
    Heroes to Mentors -