Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man 2

Default Spider-Man 2

Yups.. the trailer and website are out for those who neva know.. http://www.sony.com/Spider-man

The trailer reveals that rumours of the Rhino and the Lizard may very well be... ah heck.. why tell you.. go watch the trailer yourself ;D

Default Re:Spider-Man 2

GodKid I was disappointed with the first spiderman movie >
    Therefore I won't get my hopes up for the second one.

Ps. I am definately going to watch it ;D

what was disappointing about the first movie.. apart from the plot...

I mean.. most people who I've heard bad reviews from made the mistake of going to see movie instead of a live-action comic ;D

What was wrong with the movie, story or the plot?

I find it hard to imagine that someone could actually find fault with the first Spiderman Movie. It was at the time of its release, the 5th highest grossing movie of all time. I have reason to believe that the second one will be even more impressive. I think Greatis maybe mixing up the first spiderman flick with the first X-Men flick. Nuh true ;D

The first X-Men movie was quite mediocre @ best. I was annoyed mostly by Halle Berry's parts in the picture. Her lines were horrid:

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else..."

That had to be the worst line in the entire movie. God it was terrible.

But the first Spiderman picture was well directed, well scripted, well acted, and had the best character development I've ever seen in a Hollywood picture since Star Wars. I bet you Greatis can't even tell us what he found wrong with it.

Watch this... :

the plot and I think the acting could have been better. The action scenes weren't bad.

The plot for the movie very closely follows the very first Spiderman comic: Amazing Stories #15

It sold over 30 million copies - it was the comic that made Marvel Comics the giant publishing house it is today. Have you read this comic Greatis?

I guess it's different strokes to different folks.

Just out of curiosity, which movie do you think had a good plot?

As a young kid I used to watch the Spiderman cartoon on TV. Horrible stories, reuse of the same cells in almost every episode.

I picked up a comic from the local pharmacy one day. It was the episode right after Norman Osbourne (The Green Goblin) was killed and Peter Parker was in a quandary over his friendship with Harry Osbourne who hated SpiderMan and was in love with the one girl Peter loved.

Peter dilemna was basically this: should he encourage the two to be together or should he let his true feelings be know to Mary Jane and risk her finding out his true identity. Little did he realise that Harry would take up where his evil father had left off. I was starting to be mesmerised by Peter's story.

The ONE thing that got me hooked was the Title area at the top that indicated why Ben Parker, his uncle, died and that his last words to Peter were "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" which hit me like a ton of bricks. Because of a mistake in priorities, he had in fact allowed his uncle to be killed. He had to LIVE with that fact for the rest of his life.

Stan Lee once put his popular superheroes in perspective. A good superhero must appear "human", with human failings and feelings. I love looking for him in cameo every time one of the superhero movies come out.

A couple of years ago, a new Spiderman comic strip appeared in the local newspaper showing not only Peter married to Mary Jane, but had revealed his true identity to her. What a shock! Spoiled my image of the lone Spiderman, suffering his guilt and pain in solitude!

I have to apoogise to everyone in my house when the movie plays. I'm sorry, but I have to turn up the volume. Spiderman is again saving the day!

That's right Ramesh. That's why Marvel Comics are such hot selling titles. Each superhero is made to contend with very serious human-like personal problems. It's because people can relate to these stories against a backdrop of sci-fi and fantasy. If you have the Spiderman DVD, this is made abundantly clear.

DC Comics have had to reinvent themselves several times because of this. Their stories are more powered by unrealistically immaculate personal lives lived by their superheroes. There was no driving factor between the superhero and his real life identity. That's why the first Superman movie was such a blockbuster. It abandoned the typically immaculate personal life of Clarke Kent for one in which Clarke has to decide between his love for Lois, his love for the human race, and respecting his Kryptonian mandate.

That's the reason why I said that the first Spider-Man movie was excellent, particularly in the area of character development. It followed the comic book to the T, making for an excellently driven story. As a result, even if the acting wasn't all that fetching, it's really very difficult to notice.

Y'see, there are times when a story is much bigger than the actors playing it. Look at the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. The movie was nominated for every production award they had a category for - except the acting roles. It's not that the acting roles weren't well done, (especially that done by Sean Austin for Samwise Gamgee) but the story was so powerful in and of itself, that it completely submerged the actors themselves. Excellent stories of prose adapted to motion picture tend to have that kind of effect.

"The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.