Thread: Getting an error with "Generic Host for Win32 Services"

Default Getting an error with "Generic Host for Win32 Services"

since last night i have been getting the error "Generic Host for Win32 Services encountered an error and had to close". when i click the dont send button the task bar changes to look like i'm running in classic mode and then loose my internet connection. i have to restart my machine. what cud be causing this?
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

SYMPTOMS
    If you installed security update 873333 (MS05-012), you may experience one or more of the following problems:
    • You may receive the following error message after you start the computer:
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error
    Note This problem only occurs in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
    • File names are not displayed in e-mail messages that include file attachments when the following conditions are true:
    • The file name contains double-byte character set (DBCS) characters.
    • The file name is longer than 42 characters.
    Note This problem only occurs when the e-mail message format is Rich Text.
    • An application that implements the IMallocSpy debugging interface may experience heap corruption after you install security update 873333. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    894194 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894194/) An application that implements the IMallocSpy debugging interface may experience heap corruption after you install security update 873333
    Resolution
    Hotfix information
    A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. For Windows XP SP2, the Generic Host Process error can potentially occur on any system at any time. Although you receive the error message shortly after system startup, the actual error occurred during the previous system shutdown. Because of the broad nature of this issue, this hotfix was made available through Windows Update and distributed to users who have Automatic Updates enabled to eliminate this problem on Windows XP SP2 systems. For Windows XP SP2, you may experience one last Generic Host Process error upon restart after you install this hotfix. This is from the previous system shutdown before the new version installation was completed.

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
    use this link to downlaod hot fix http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391

thanx am downloading the fix right now.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

seems to be working havent had the error since i installed the fix. i'll watch it for a few days and let u know.

got the error this morning again while i was on the internet. i wonder if its a recurring thing?

did u try scanning for virus,n what operating system r u using

am running xp pro sp2. using macafee virus scan pro but i havent ran a full system scan since i installed the patch. think i better do that. am using macafee for the 2nd time and the first time i used it i thru it out for norton because i did a scan and macafee found 2 worms on mu machine whine norton found 3. so i hope its nothing like that now.