Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which linux is the best one

Default Re:Which linux is the best one

Acidblade. The answer is easy:

SuSE Linux - The Ultimate and FINAL Linux Distro. Forget about what you want to do with Linux.

This is Linux's answer to Windows XP. This is a penguified Windows XP. Here are my hardcore reasons for doing SuSE above all other distros:
    • Intuitivity - Their build of KDE 3.2 has some modifications that make the menu navigations (ALL menu navigations for that matter) very intuitive, un-cluttered, easy to follow, even for an absolutely total newbie to computers. You'd have to be so retarded that you can't use a calculator to not be able to use SuSE's KDE interface menu mods. Absolutely superb. Your grandma could sit in front of it and not be able to tell the difference between SuSE and Windows. Trust me.
    • Completeness - SuSE Linux comes with 5 CDs choc full with drivers, software, services, goodies, candy, santa claus, the full 9 yards. That means your odds of actually going online to find software that you need to download to add as a service in SuSE's distro is nearly zero. If you do need to go online to find it, it was probably built after SuSE went gold. EVERYTHING you need is on those CDs. When I say EVERYTHING, I mean.... EVERYTHING. Literally.
    • YaST Online Update - YOU is by far the single most innovative feature of the SuSE distro yet. How many Linux distros out there AUTOMATICALLY (did I spell that right?) AUTOMATICALLY (repetition = emphasis) AUTOMATICALLY goes out onto the 'net and downloads updates, patches, drivers and whatever else that you need, (INCLUDING KERNEL UPDATES!!! ) and (one more time) AUTOMATICALLY installs them. That means, whenever a new security patch comes out (because Linux being unbreakable is as true as Aliens and Loch Ness monsters :) or whenever there is a software update, YOU notifies you (this is not a grammatical error or a pun) of these things and (can I repeat this once more?) AUTOMATICALLY puts you in a position where you ALWAYS have the latest version of EVERYTHING you have installed. Let's get a vote for how many other distros can do that. AUTOMATICALLY, that is....*silence*....I thought as much.
    • Germans - BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, SuSE, nuff said.
    • Ease of Install - Look, I'm not into the BSing or the propaganda, but Windows actually requires more effort to install. No seriously. I'm not kidding. The OS installation portion is so user-friendly, and so intuitive, you may actually be fooled into thinking that you are installing Windows at one point. Although looks shouldn't matter, SuSE's install interface is sexier than a red turbo-charged Mitsubishi Spider Eclipse on steroids... I was seriously wowed at the effort that was put into making the installation an experience of ecstacy.
    • Did I mention that it was built by Germans?
    • Plethora of features - YOU was the first one that blew me away. I'm going to assume that you're an adventurous techie and you want to discover these features yourself. But let's just say that when you notice the sheer beauty with which these features are engineered, or rather, implemented, you're going to be needing a clean dry pair of pants every 30 seconds...
    • Errichtet in Deutschland. Muß gut sein.
    • YaST - Remember the name. When you get those CDs, you'll be screaming it later.
    • Gebildet in Deutschland.
    • Default Security - The design of the backend is such that there are no ad-hoc or unnecessary features running that you don't really need. While you get a Sexy no jutsu interface, the system is no dumb blonde. That means that every feature that you need to run (outside of default bare-bones network connectivity), has to be enabled. Sounds like trouble? Have you ever used Windows and been jacked by a worm that exploited a feature you didn't even know existed and had to beeline to your Administrative Tools section to turn it off? Let's see RedHat pull that off.... wait, I think I just made a funny... ;D
    • Vom Mutterland von Deutschland.
    • Awards - If Master Gillion would oblige and provide us with the link, the SuSE Linux distribution got TOP AWARDS for their design and is the FIRST Linux Distribution to obtain security certification as a corporate desktop solution by IBM with a multimillion dollar backing from Novell. I hope that means something to you.
    • Aller bogen unten und hagel Deutschland.
    • Fastest Growing Desktop Solution - Recent market surveys are showing that SuSE Linux is selling at a faster rate than Windows XP Professional and Red Hat Linux combined for a business end desktop solution. A faster rate. That means people are buying (or obtaining the discs) for SuSE Linux more frequently than they are doing for other solutions for their business PCs. There's a reason why that is happening. If you see 6 million people running frantically in a particular direction, it's usually wise to follow suit.

While other linux distros are made for the enthusiast 31337 über-hax0r with more time on their hands than God himself, SuSE is made for serious desktop users who don't have the time to figure out why something works before they get it to work.

Redhat is not a desktop solution. The distro is heavily targetted towards dedicated servers etc. etc. Make no mistake, Mandrake is awesome and deserves every credit that is ascribed to it - but SuSE still has superior design under the hood, which is why I listed out all of those reasons just now....and in my humble opinion, still looks 50 times sexier than Mandrake any day. In fact, you should never compare a Honda with a BMW. The very thought is asinine.

SuSE is targetting the upper echelon of business desktop users who genuinely want to get work done, but at the same time have more brains than money. You'll be hard pressed to find another Linux distro with the sheer power and übenstallen of SuSE. Whether you're just curious or you are SERIOUS about getting into Linux, SuSE is the place to start. I guarantee it. A Brilliant piece of software if there ever was one.

Oh and by the way, did I mention that it was built by the Germans?

Ja!

Mandrake and Suse are good choices for a desktop. I use Red Hat a lot on my servers but I am starting to experiment with Mandrake.

All distros use the same kernel so they have the same foundation. Each development team puts its mark on areas such as the look and feel of the interface, the ease with which you can do updates, the quality of the management tools, etc.

The question is similar to asking whether Compaq, IBM, or Dell makes the best servers. Each person has his own preference and will defend it strongly.

They are all similar, so try a few and see which one you like. I have used several for demos and liked all the ones I have used.

[quote author=acidblade link=board=8;threadid=3328;start=0#msg30606 date=1079455885]
    I am Interested in using linux but i want to know which is the best and widely supported
    [/quote]

[move]REDHAT[/move]

[quote author=jamrock link=board=8;threadid=3328;start=0#msg30879 date=1079619291]
    All distros use the same kernel so they have the same foundation.
    [/quote]

Not entierly accurate.

Debian and Slackware are the only distro's that use a 100% pure base linux Kernel. SuSE, RedHAT and Mandrake all enhance their kernels with various drivers or other features. However SuSE provides the most as far as i have been able to determine. They have an enterprise level kernel running on all their distros as opposed to MDK or RH (Fedorah)

For example, SuSE kernels are enhanced with several advanced capabilities not found in other distro's not even RedHAT.
    One being a customized vmware driver, such that when you run vmware (which I think some pacakges of suse will provide) you get a smoother faster virtual PC than you would get with basic kernels.

SuSE also backports features from the 2.6.xx kernels into the stable 2.4.21-xxx kernels currently running on SuSE 9.0.

This backports gives significant speed advantages from a user perspective. As well as enhanced security from the kernel standpoint.

Speaking of kernels... Lats night I let the suse update tool update my kernel and rebooted this morning to brand spaking new 2.4.199... now my laptop can use ACPI (with the exception that scsi emulation doesn't work) apparently 3 days ago someone found a small bug in the kernel that allows local users to gain root access using a memory tweak.

There are also rare drivers that come with suse. Some are more critical to the average users such as winmodem drivers. Which are avaiable. Several multimedia device drivers are also available, including the iPOD, now if could only buy one, I would be in MP3 Heaven. These drivers are typically not available in base kernels nor are they in the kernels of the MDK and RH desktop offereings.

The SuSE distro I am currently using also provides UNIX binary compatibility allowing me to run some old unix programs without recompiling them. I use these programs that I find on some of the research sites I visit. For average users this doesn't mean much but for someone like me who experiments... it means a lot to be able to experiment.

Lets just say, that even though RH is popular among american's like CDMA... SuSE is most popular among the rest of the world like GSM.

I just also upgraded KDE to KDE 3.2.1 on my second system, without a hitch... whilst working in the old KDE 3.1.4 desktop... when I logged out and restarted... I was greeted with a nice new KDE 3.2.1 complete with Koffice 1.3 and a BIGGER AND BADDER K3B CDRW software , with MORE DVD tools and of course enhancements to open office. It took me all night though, but since I was busy working and this upgrade was a background process I didn't mind. GNOME was also updated.

The new PAY RedHat also has some SERIOUS enhancement features but you have to pay for it. BUT ! you get a 1 year subscription to online and telephone tech-support. Apparently RedHat decided that all its GOODIES will be in their pay only Distro. Fedorah is the watered down distro. Interesting approach. The custom tools on the new RH slated for release are QUITE GOOD and RH has finally done something right in my book.

But even as C&W fixed their network and got their cell service beefed up... they have forever lost me as a cell customer even if they are become more advanced than Digicel. The same applies to RH Psychology I guess. However I can safley reccommed the new pay for RH to people without a sick feeling.

Please note: that SuSE is slated to release SuSE 9.1 next month. The folders have already been created on their FTP servers. This will include the 2.6.4 kernels with more features... in fact now that I think about it... all that time I spent upgrading, may have been made moot by the new 9.1 release. Hmmm ? a paradox.

---jaa matane
    gillion

[quote author=GILLION link=board=8;threadid=3328;start=0#msg30895 date=1079623441]

Lets just say, that even though RH is popular among american's like CDMA... SuSE is most popular among the rest of the world like GSM.

[/quote]

-

I was just looking here:

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...amp;CACHE_ID=0

and I realised something most interesting on the description of one the boxes:

"Professional LINUX for PCs"

I mean seriously, does one really need anything more than that to decide on a first distro? IT Professionals need professional grade software. This is it.

I hope AcidBlade is paying attention.

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=8;threadid=3328;start=0#msg30860 date=1079587689]
    Acidblade. The answer is easy:

SuSE Linux - The Ultimate and FINAL Linux Distro. Forget about what you want to do with Linux.

This is Linux's answer to Windows XP. This is a penguified Windows XP. Here are my hardcore reasons for doing SuSE above all other distros:
    • Intuitivity - Their build of KDE 3.2 has some modifications that make the menu navigations (ALL menu navigations for that matter) very intuitive, un-cluttered, easy to follow, even for an absolutely total newbie to computers. You'd have to be so retarded that you can't use a calculator to not be able to use SuSE's KDE interface menu mods. Absolutely superb. Your grandma could sit in front of it and not be able to tell the difference between SuSE and Windows. Trust me.
    • Completeness - SuSE Linux comes with 5 CDs choc full with drivers, software, services, goodies, candy, santa claus, the full 9 yards. That means your odds of actually going online to find software that you need to download to add as a service in SuSE's distro is nearly zero. If you do need to go online to find it, it was probably built after SuSE went gold. EVERYTHING you need is on those CDs. When I say EVERYTHING, I mean.... EVERYTHING. Literally.
    • YaST Online Update - YOU is by far the single most innovative feature of the SuSE distro yet. How many Linux distros out there AUTOMATICALLY (did I spell that right?) AUTOMATICALLY (repetition = emphasis) AUTOMATICALLY goes out onto the 'net and downloads updates, patches, drivers and whatever else that you need, (INCLUDING KERNEL UPDATES!!! ) and (one more time) AUTOMATICALLY installs them. That means, whenever a new security patch comes out (because Linux being unbreakable is as true as Aliens and Loch Ness monsters :) or whenever there is a software update, YOU notifies you (this is not a grammatical error or a pun) of these things and (can I repeat this once more?) AUTOMATICALLY puts you in a position where you ALWAYS have the latest version of EVERYTHING you have installed. Let's get a vote for how many other distros can do that. AUTOMATICALLY, that is....*silence*....I thought as much.
    • Germans - BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, SuSE, nuff said.
    • Ease of Install - Look, I'm not into the BSing or the propaganda, but Windows actually requires more effort to install. No seriously. I'm not kidding. The OS installation portion is so user-friendly, and so intuitive, you may actually be fooled into thinking that you are installing Windows at one point. Although looks shouldn't matter, SuSE's install interface is sexier than a red turbo-charged Mitsubishi Spider Eclipse on steroids... I was seriously wowed at the effort that was put into making the installation an experience of ecstacy.
    • Did I mention that it was built by Germans?
    • Plethora of features - YOU was the first one that blew me away. I'm going to assume that you're an adventurous techie and you want to discover these features yourself. But let's just say that when you notice the sheer beauty with which these features are engineered, or rather, implemented, you're going to be needing a clean dry pair of pants every 30 seconds...
    • Errichtet in Deutschland. Muß gut sein.
    • YaST - Remember the name. When you get those CDs, you'll be screaming it later.
    • Gebildet in Deutschland.
    • Default Security - The design of the backend is such that there are no ad-hoc or unnecessary features running that you don't really need. While you get a Sexy no jutsu interface, the system is no dumb blonde. That means that every feature that you need to run (outside of default bare-bones network connectivity), has to be enabled. Sounds like trouble? Have you ever used Windows and been jacked by a worm that exploited a feature you didn't even know existed and had to beeline to your Administrative Tools section to turn it off? Let's see RedHat pull that off.... wait, I think I just made a funny... ;D
    • Vom Mutterland von Deutschland.
    • Awards - If Master Gillion would oblige and provide us with the link, the SuSE Linux distribution got TOP AWARDS for their design and is the FIRST Linux Distribution to obtain security certification as a corporate desktop solution by IBM with a multimillion dollar backing from Novell. I hope that means something to you.
    • Aller bogen unten und hagel Deutschland.
    • Fastest Growing Desktop Solution - Recent market surveys are showing that SuSE Linux is selling at a faster rate than Windows XP Professional and Red Hat Linux combined for a business end desktop solution. A faster rate. That means people are buying (or obtaining the discs) for SuSE Linux more frequently than they are doing for other solutions for their business PCs. There's a reason why that is happening. If you see 6 million people running frantically in a particular direction, it's usually wise to follow suit.

While other linux distros are made for the enthusiast 31337 über-hax0r with more time on their hands than God himself, SuSE is made for serious desktop users who don't have the time to figure out why something works before they get it to work.

Redhat is not a desktop solution. The distro is heavily targetted towards dedicated servers etc. etc. Make no mistake, Mandrake is awesome and deserves every credit that is ascribed to it - but SuSE still has superior design under the hood, which is why I listed out all of those reasons just now....and in my humble opinion, still looks 50 times sexier than Mandrake any day. In fact, you should never compare a Honda with a BMW. The very thought is asinine.

SuSE is targetting the upper echelon of business desktop users who genuinely want to get work done, but at the same time have more brains than money. You'll be hard pressed to find another Linux distro with the sheer power and übenstallen of SuSE. Whether you're just curious or you are SERIOUS about getting into Linux, SuSE is the place to start. I guarantee it. A Brilliant piece of software if there ever was one.

Oh and by the way, did I mention that it was built by the Germans?

Ja!
    [/quote]

What Version Of SusE Are You Talking About?

That would be SuSE 9 but i think its at 9.1 now.

I would recommend Mandrake 10 or SuSE. I prefer Mandrake because of bad experience with SuSE. Mandrake is more refined in my opinion in terms of drivers and looks and in terms of entertainment.

My advice is to start with mandrake and then step up to SuSE. If u dare.

Not to pit word against word, Mitch, but did you read Gillion's post? SuSE has the most complete driverset of all distros. That's a commonly known fact. That's one of the major selling points of SuSE - especially for business PCs. Why do you think it's flying off the shelves like that?

Acidblade - always assume the latest version when someone talks about a distro. If it's an earlier version, it will be stipulated otherwise. If a newer version is coming out, or has come out, it will be stipulated in like manner as well.

You make your choice....
    SuSE
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/produ...386/index.html

Mandrake
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/features.php3 new
    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/92/comparison

RedCRap
    http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/
    http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/ws/

Bear in mind if you want the latest and greatest... then you can get MDK 10 community (from Jalug).... if you can wait you can order SuSE 9.1, if not then you can get 9.0 (from Jalug) and upgrade from a cheaper upgrade disk or online.

If you want my help or advice... go with SuSE...

--you choose.
    Gillion