Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chatroom Project v2 - online

Default Re:Chatroom Project v2 - online

Owen:I really need to read up on this md5 encryption b/c just about every application that i work with for the web uses it, which is good for my users of course, but terrible for me when i'm trying to make a universal username and password system for my sites ! have any sites you could point me to (NOT php.net/.org !) . Your chatroom is defintely good work in progress.

SQL: I'd love to see that chat room in action, even though all my servers are RH Linux ... gimmie a link

Link me on yahoo messenger because u will be impressed it is 60 % and i am telling u it is jamaican made and competitive with any thing on the market including yahoo

[quote author=Kiwami link=board=22;threadid=3285;start=0#msg30600 date=1079454052]
    Owen:I really need to read up on this md5 encryption b/c just about every application that i work with for the web uses it, which is good for my users of course, but terrible for me when i'm trying to make a universal username and password system for my sites ! have any sites you could point me to (NOT php.net/.org !) . Your chatroom is defintely good work in progress.

SQL: I'd love to see that chat room in action, even though all my servers are RH Linux ... gimmie a link
    [/quote]

I was using crypt() before but now I'm changing over to MD5 for my messageboard users. Main reason was because the encrpt/crypt(!) function was only avaliable in php. On the other hand the MD5() function was available in Javascript, MYSQL, PHP and tons of other languages and databases so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

The problem now is getting my users to change their passwords to the new one.

well I checked out the chatroom just a while ago, and i think its pretty cool. I still dont like the fact that it has to refresh, thats i've always thought id build my chatroom in java, but maybe i'll take a try at a php/html chatroom for personal satisfaction. It really should be easy to do.

And owen you said you didnt use a database. So how do you keep track of who is online? and what they've said, Global variables or a flat text file?

In fact when i finish reading the next phpfreaks article that i have up. im gonna take whirl at chat, unless my coworkers realise that the new guy is idling and should be put to work

[quote author=alexdevmaster link=board=22;threadid=3285;start=0#msg44912 date=1088619230]
    well I checked out the chatroom just a while ago, and i think its pretty cool. I still dont like the fact that it has to refresh, thats i've always thought id build my chatroom in java, but maybe i'll take a try at a php/html chatroom for personal satisfaction. It really should be easy to do.
    [/quote]

yup, this second version was up and running quite quickly. java applets have the world "behind proxy" issue. I could have don it in flash but it's been done. In my version you can add images to posts.
    It has to poll the server, refreshing is the only way but it send back very little data, so I expect it should be pretty fast even with alot of people.

And owen you said you didnt use a database. So how do you keep track of who is online? and what they've said, Global variables or a flat text file?
    global variables

Nice look. Keep on going

I wish the uneducated like myself could get a tutorial on how to develop a chatroom site such as owen's. [HINT] [HINT] Owen!

The site is pretty neat tho. Using it now, critiques to come soon

Once you get the whole PHP thing down writing the chatroom is cake. ;D Tutorials...maybe...but I'm not much of a teacher.

Nice chatroom bro, very nice. Just looking at it makes me want to get deeper into this php thing. Can I use dreamweaver to do all my php work or do I still have to go learn the scripting?

hey this is really neat, great job