Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Live is Ultra Sweeet

Nautilus... yes, that's the same one I see.

I see it on both SUSE (gnome option) and ubuntu.

I have a free partition and hard drive so this would be good to install ubuntu or suse. (Expecting to get a few more drives in the near future)
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

i didnt know ubuntu cant see windows and vice versa. I jus installed ubuntu on my big drive and now I cant access it. dont want to partition the drive since partitioning reduces performance (its 320GB)

I jus installed ubuntu on my big drive and now I cant access it.
    Not sure what you mean by "can't access it". Please clarify.

It sounds as if you have just reformatted your hard drive. If this is the case, you will need to re-install Windows, Office, etc. and restore your data from a backup.

It might be a good idea to read the installation instructions before going any further with Linux. Look for a document that discusses dual booting Windows and Linux.

Question
    My second question is if I install ubuntu, will it damage my XP installation?
    If you do not install Linux properly it may remove your Windows XP installation. If you do not install another version of Windows properly it may remove your Windows XP installation.

I recommend the following:

Ensure that you have a separate partition or hard drive.

Ensure that you have your CD's and registration codes in case you need to re-install things.

Backup your data properly.

Read some documentation on dual-booting Windows XP and Linux.
    Last edited by jamrock; Aug 30, 2006 at 09:04 PM.

Wink about ubuntu

hey bro, you wont have any problem instaling on a system that has win xp, i have a 100 gig hard drive i use 87 for xp and 20 for ubuntu, i had no hitches at all while installin it, ubuntu can partition the drive but i configured and partition it before hand, i started using ubuntu in december of last year and hasnt looked back, its geeat! i now have a choice i can boot from ubuntu or winxp using the grup boot loader at startup, its cool

hey bro, you wont have any problem instaling on a system that has win xp,
    People have been known to install Linux over their Windows partition in error. It is important to read the installation documentation.

ok my set up is as follows:

I have 2 physical hard drives in my machine now, I jus got one today. I formated the hard drive (the new one) WITH ubuntu. I didnt boot into windows first to test it or anything, I booted from the live cd and thing, and it format an install itself onto the new drive. Once done, I thought I could see windows from ubuntu and vice versa. (sorry for not being clear earlier, I think faster than I type)

I tried mounting the windows (older) drive and there was an error.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_WOW View Post
    ok my set up is as follows:

I have 2 physical hard drives in my machine now, I jus got one today. I formated the hard drive (the new one) WITH ubuntu. I didnt boot into windows first to test it or anything, I booted from the live cd and thing, and it format an install itself onto the new drive. Once done, I thought I could see windows from ubuntu and vice versa. (sorry for not being clear earlier, I think faster than I type)

I tried mounting the windows (older) drive and there was an error.
    Go into Ubuntu menu at the top: SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > DISKS and give the partition information for both Hard Drives, i.e. partition device name (e.g. hda1) and the filetype (e.g. ext3, ntfs, fat32).
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

ok, Ill reboot. I need drivers for my modem cant go on the net from linux.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_WOW View Post
    ok, Ill reboot. I need drivers for my modem cant go on the net from linux.
    More than likely you have a winmodem also known as a soft modem. They are really designed for Windows. Finding drivers and configuring them was a constant heartache for me, which is why I'm glad there is ADSL.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

I meant my speedtouch 330 modem, but anyways, I notice that it is formated as extended 3. wth is that? I also notice that it can see the files on the older drive from SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > DISKS. It knows its ntfs. the ubuntu is of course ext3