Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Live is Ultra Sweeet

Default Ubuntu Live is Ultra Sweeet

I am posting this from a ubuntu live cd, and I am estactic in the features of the disk and how easy and fast the system is.

I can browse a windows network, burn cds, play movies, music, view pictures, practically anything I would do in Windows 2000 as a desktop home user. Play solitaire.

I give it 9.7 / 10.0 for a desktop OS. better than windows

If anyone (linux noob) what's to try, then go to filemirrors.com and search ubuntu. My version is 5.01 Live ( disc image size is about 650 MB)
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    I am posting this from a ubuntu live cd, and I am estactic in the features of the disk and how easy and fast the system is.

I can browse a windows network, burn cds, play movies, music, view pictures, practically anything I would do in Windows 2000 as a desktop home user. Play solitaire.

I give it 9.7 / 10.0 for a desktop OS. better than windows

If anyone (linux noob) what's to try, then go to filemirrors.com and search ubuntu. My version is 5.01 Live ( disc image size is about 650 MB)
    Take your time don't get too excited. Plus you have the old CD.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

The current stable version is 6.06 LTS.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    The current stable version is 6.06 LTS.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download
    Yeah, i got mine in the mail last week. I like the new look of the gui and the new process of installing the full OS. I finally learned how to install an app on ubuntu, so that has got me pretty excited too.

EDIT: BTW, i have 4 ubuntu 6.06 LTS cd's that i am willing to give awa. I got 5 via mail, so i thought i would give away four and keep 1. Anyone interested just PM me. Crosswire, maybe you would be interested.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

Thanks Ramesh and Gillion

I will be using these link and get the new 6.06 LTS version
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/6.06/release/

There is a live 6.06 DVD as well (3.1GB), getting that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Take your time don't get too excited. Plus you have the old CD.
    The version I had was actually 5.04.

Still using the live disc to browse the internet with Firefox at work and home. Sweet.

PS, I also downloaded SUSE live dvd and knoppix live cd. I will give an opinion when I get the time again on these with latest stable versions. So far still, ubuntu is sweet, and I can't wait to try the lastest release.

Quote Originally Posted by psybuck2002us View Post
    BTW, i have 4 ubuntu 6.06 LTS cd's that i am willing to give awa. I got 5 via mail, so i thought i would give away four and keep 1. Anyone interested just PM me. Crosswire, maybe you would be interested.
    Thank psy,
    I would like a dics, but then again, by the time the mail reaches, I would have download and burn. I actually prefer cd-rom to cd-r discs, likewise with dvds. I am in the Montego Bay region where are you.

Questions:
    How do I mount the local hard drive from the live cd?
    Last edited by crosswire; Aug 30, 2006 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correct grammar

Crosswire, please contact me if you want the original install CD, no charge. I got a bunch of them. I am in MoBay - 867-2356.

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

can u post a pic of your desktop and also a pic of you running a app. Like mozilla, any windows apps that i would normally use. Im curious about this ubuntu.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

Quote Originally Posted by mobile_fan_2k5 View Post
    can u post a pic of your desktop and also a pic of you running a app. Like mozilla, any windows apps that i would normally use. Im curious about this ubuntu.
    Check the "Post your Desktop" thread for screenshots of Ubuntu Desktops .

RIP Ramesh ...

Ramesh I call but you leave your phone or something so later.

The desktop looks actually pretty neat. It has the style that I like. The explorer program and every other feature of the desktop is quite neat. Explorer has back buttons, etc.

Today I ran SUSE 10 live dvd, and I also liked the look of the desktop. Man, I found out somthing new about windows network and entering a remote hard drive from a shared folder.

Note that all computers on the network are connected through a switch which is supplied with internet and are windows based except the live cd host at ubuntu time.

Question
    My second question is if I install ubuntu, will it damage my XP installation?

Ramesh I call but you leave your phone or something so later.
    Sorry about that. I was in another room and didn't hear it ring. Remember the directions I gave you on the phone. Call me if you get lost, though I doubt it.

The desktop looks actually pretty neat. It has the style that I like. The explorer program and every other feature of the desktop is quite neat. Explorer has back buttons, etc.
    I doubt you mean Firefox, so I assume you mean Nautilus, which is a Linux version of XP's Explorer Shell.

Question
    My second question is if I install ubuntu, will it damage my XP installation?
    Not if you have an UNUSED partition. Note that if you do not have XP installed it would be "hitch-less".

RIP Ramesh ...