Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notification question/suggestion

Default Notification question/suggestion

I have a question and a suggestion.

Is there an option to recieve notification of replies to selected threads via email? I didn't notice any such option under Notifications.

It would be really nice if we could recieve notification on our cell phones. You guys have the web2sms technology, it should be a breeze to implement such a feature

Default Re:Notification question/suggestion

Ok, just figured out how notification via email works.

Suggestion still stands though! I know that I can have Yahoo forward my email to my phone, but what about those who don't have Yahoo mail...

Quote Originally Posted by nder
    It would be really nice if we could recieve notification on our cell phones. You guys have the web2sms technology, it should be a breeze to implement such a feature
    Nastro, Chris how practical is this?

As it stands now, members can be notified of replies by clicking on the "notify" button in any topic. The notification is sent to the email address that the member is registered with. Due to the space constraints of SMS messages and the occasional need to send out administrtive emails, it's not advisable for members to use their SMS address to receive these emails. So to answer your question Greatis, it's not that practical or feasible. I guess that with some code hacking it could be done but that isn't a preferred option for several reasons primarily because that would make the system non-standard for future upgrade/update releases.

Actually this is possible because I get notifications on my cell.

The method I use is actually very simple, I thought most Tech Jamaicans knew this, but I guess not.

Assuming U have a hotmail account -
    Here goes, its actually very simple if u want to do this. Firstly what I did was to create a folder in my Hotmail inbox called Tech Jamaica, this is not necessary but for neatness I would recommend it. Next u would have to go in the options and direct all mail from techjamaica to that specific folder. Once again this is not needed.

Here in lies the most important step. U will have to go to Mobile Msn and log in with ur hotmail or msn info. The setup can be difficult if u dont have a clue. U wont see digicel or Jamaica in the Provider list but just select other and then enter the email address for ur phone. This is #@digitextjm.com.

After u have completed the setup, then u have to create alerts. What I did was to set an alert to notify me when I get an email.

Or u could set it to only send u when u recieve from particular email addresses.

I am shocked and amazed nobody asked me to do this ???

Anyways if u guys have any questions just let me know.

I just checked and I think they changed how this is done. I dont see that option to notify u via cell when u get an email.

Very Interesting :'( :'(

actually MiTcHie they have started charging for this service now :'(

Good thing i had mine set up ages ago ;D ;D ;D ;D

MiTcHiE what about Yahoo? don't they have a mobile alert too?

Yep, but I have not tried out the email feature, I only use yahoo for news alerts. The news alerts for yahoo are very good. I will check it out and see how it compares to Msn Mobile's email feature although its not available for free anymore.