Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking sites

Thumbs up Networking sites

I need some advice on these prospects I have.

There are 8 sites in a city that needs networking, so they can connect to central location to access a database. All sites currently have CWJ adsl at least 1.5mb connection and are all networked with a server at there local site.

There are 2 sites in a city that needs connectivity for the purpose of a point of sale system. In which, the retail store must be logged in to the manufacture location to access additional inventory and for accountants to have realtime access to the store from the manu location. Neither sites have any ISP nor a network and may expand in the future.

Please post your proposal on how you can get these done and list equipment on where they are available.

Please, thanks.
    Respect every man, don't tek man fi fool, share ur knowledge, be humble, patient & always be kind.
    Bcuz, what u do unto others one day will come back to you.

Any ideas? What about VPN routers? Know any?
    Respect every man, don't tek man fi fool, share ur knowledge, be humble, patient & always be kind.

wat exactally do u want????

a proposal.. or.. help..???

to solve a problem
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

yea I am not too sure what he asking as well, whether it be a proposal for that job or advice in getting the job done.

I thinks that he just need the answers to the two question...

It sound like a project to me;
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

What percent of the pie u willing to give up?
    cause u asking for a solution to be designed for you and that usually comes with a price tag

Thumbs up

I really would like to know your reasoning on a project like this. I've pretty much idea of getting it done, but would like to know how you would get it done.
    Yu nuh, people of different methods of achieving the same goal.

There are 8 sites in a city that needs networking, so they can connect to central location to access a database. All sites currently have CWJ adsl at least 1.5mb connection and are all networked with a server at there local site.
    If the location hosting the database has a fixed i .p. address you can run Windows 200x terminal services over the internet to that site. Security is key here. You would need to have some form of VPN running from each site. The VPN would encrypt the data as it travels over the internet.

Personally, I believe that all security can be compromised so I would not run my systems over the internet unless I had no choice. If you run over the internet make sure that your backup procedures are good. Be prepared to format and restore the database server if it becomes compromised by hostile forces.

Spend a lot of time on security.

There are 2 sites in a city that needs connectivity for the purpose of a point of sale system. In which, the retail store must be logged in to the manufacture location to access additional inventory and for accountants to have realtime access to the store from the manu location. Neither sites have any ISP nor a network and may expand in the future.
    Island Networks, Cable and Wireless, Flow and Digicel over wide area services that do not go over the internet. Competition has been forcing down prices.

If your application has been built to run on terminal services, you can use this.

The advantage of terminal services is that it pushes only the mouse clicks and screen shots over the wide area network. You would need to put the database server and the terminal server on the same LAN. The data will travel over the ethernet between the application server and the terminal server. The mouse clicks and screen shots would travel over the WAN between the remote client and the terminal server.

POS application --- Terminal server ---- WAN---- Client machines.

Smile

Ok, I wasn't thinking about terminal. Yeah, you have a point.
    What you think about Linksys BEFVP41 Router ? This is my choice of getting the job done. It has VPN and ipsec.
    Thanks.

Thumbs up

Any other advice ? Looking forward for some more.