Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Own3d by Ston3r

Default Re:Own3d by Ston3r

some systems allowm you the option of pressing F12 to get a temporary boot list to select your boot method without going into bios.

As for hacker... I DETEST the misuse of that word, that pop media has seen fit to band about, primiarly because cracker is a racial slur for some white people so they used the next best thing.

The fact is a HACK is usually a constructive thing.... a CRACK is a destructive thing... but it seems that popular ignorance is gosple... and my old ways are irrelevant...

but I shant go out without a fight....

I don't care what websters or collins say... I LIVED in this culture for many years And this is some of what I have learned during that time....

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/crackers.html

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/C/cracker.html

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/H/hacker.html

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/index.html

If you do not care... then fine... but you will never beable to defend yourselves against something you do not understand and that is part of what is beating MS, Symantec, EndUsers (lusers) and the corporate dingbats that exist!

--Nuff Said
    gillion

Gillion, in the older days when the word 'hacker' was first introduced the word represented people who would 'hack'

hack: -To cut or chop with repeated and irregular blows: hacked down the saplings.

their way into supposedly secure networks through social engineering or brute force passwords (anyone watched 'Whiz Kids'?).

Perhaps the meaning has changed, but the word was being used long before Hackers created the word 'Cracker' to distinguish between 'Good Hat' hackers and 'Bad Hat' hackers. To Law Enforcement officials, there are only "Hackers" and "Reformed Hackers".

igodit Guest

[quote author=GILLION link=board=27;threadid=3240;start=15#msg29934 date=1078784973]
    some systems allowm you the option of pressing F12 to get a temporary boot list to select your boot method without going into bios.

As for hacker... I DETEST the misuse of that word, that pop media has seen fit to band about, primiarly because cracker is a racial slur for some white people so they used the next best thing.

The fact is a HACK is usually a constructive thing.... a CRACK is a destructive thing... but it seems that popular ignorance is gosple... and my old ways are irrelevant...

but I shant go out without a fight....

I don't care what websters or collins say... I LIVED in this culture for many years And this is some of what I have learned during that time....

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/crackers.html

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/C/cracker.html

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/H/hacker.html

http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/index.html

If you do not care... then fine... but you will never beable to defend yourselves against something you do not understand and that is part of what is beating MS, Symantec, EndUsers (lusers) and the corporate dingbats that exist!

--Nuff Said
    gillion
    [/quote]

I'm suprised that people still see the need to even debate this... What does it even matter if they call it a hack or a crack?

All of that jargon stuff, are more script kiddies stuff... I don't recall any "hacker" doing any such jargons back then.

So let's play nice and help out willy, kewl?

I'm glad for that clarification IGodIT. I was beginning to wonder what relevance the dictionary meaning of some word has to do with Willy's issues. :

Willy, I don't recall seeing it in any of your posts, but was the machine firewalled? I guess that is in itself a stupid question considering the sheer number of trojans found on the machine. A hack breach to that level indicates that the machine's user literally invited that hacker felon into his box. I mean seriously, what the hell was that box doing to have gotten so brutally hacked breached?

Try to ascertain if the box was using irc. I find that a lot of irc channels that do file serving require you to have Auto-accept DCC enabled. That's a surefire way for hackers cheeky kids to slip you an exe file laced with dangerous diseases. In your case though Willy (I'm surprised BCK didn't mention it) I strongly believed that the hacker I mean the felon used ONE trojan to load the rest. That's what's known as a Legion hack attack.

The hacker attacker was notified when the first landmine was tripped. How he got the landmine into your machine could be any one of a thousand ways. Once the code launched, it then started a beacon to the hacker attacker, after opening a port on your box allowing the hacker felon to load up the rest of his tools.

I noticed that you also had a rather old worm in the lot that exploited the DCOM RPC vulnerability. This is the worm that no doubt allowed the hacker your badboy to continue launching each of his attacks without physically logging into your box. RPC (remote procedure call) no doubt allowed the hacker attacker to modify your bootstrapper. More than likely your bootstrapper was replaced by another file with the JPEG. I'd look for registry hacks modifications as well. RPCing your bootstrapper is a damn tricky hack thing to do. So more than likely, there were registry mods as well.

Question master willy: Was that box networked? I think I missed this bit of detail if it was mentioned. If so, you know what you need to do right?

What is it with me and these typos these days? I must be getting old - where's my whiteout....

There are some things that some people hold sacred...

My friends who's almamatre <sp> was St. Andrews High, have a way of pronouncing it. Just like Wolmerian's knowing how to spell Wolmer's in a cheer with the apostrophy.

Ram's your history is not wrong, but it is not accurate.
    Its not good hat, bad hat.

Its black, grey and white.

Hacking didn't involve computers first... it started with MIT and the space program... similar to the history of the term BUG. Which was first coined by one of the few female computing pioneers.

Anyway I am stickler for history.

I used to watch whiz kid... it fluff, but at the time it was grand watching.... no computer had that kind of power in the 1980's. That that boy richie had some ridiculous serious skills.. but it was all in good fun.

I spent a lot of time on IRC and I watched as dumb journalists and a few FBI agents trolled around looking for some guy to start bragging and spilling beans on what skillz he had and what he had done and who he had done it to.

You could always tell who the posers were. just by the way the said things and especially those that used leet speek.

I wish you guys had experienced the side of computing as I did... and then you would see why I get worked up about "simple" things like this.

Anyway its old school I guess time to make way for the Vxer's.

--gillion

Xeno I am going to St. Thomas for you !!! :

ahhh nobody cares anymore... an artform lost... sigh....

--gillion

LOL!
    ROFLMAO!
    DWBRCL

Gillion, you're the funniest guy I've known in 3 years dude!!! ;D

LOL

I'm laughing myself to tears here... I can barely type!!!

Why you going to St. Thomas? You headed in the wrong direction!! Spring Break dis week! Negril is where the action @!

LOL!! - my yute, yuh igle eeeh? LOL!!! bout yu a go st. thomas...psssh :

Is it a day of Confessions on Tech JA????

I soon confess.................... Yeah right

igodit Guest

*sigh
    First y'all rant about hackers and crackers, the who has done what and been where... and still playing lame.

How does any of this help willy?

-- If it's any consolation to you, put up or shut up, cause you are sounding like lamers.

well yes it was networked the machine that got hacked had no access to irc and it was behind a firewall.i also got it formatted,btw i like hearing of the journey you guys had for some reason it intrigues me, bck,gillion,mitchie,ramesh,igodit and xeno thanks for your help but to tell the truth i wasn't even mad that i got hacked how many people can say they got hacked it was my first time i'm no longer a virgin ;D plus it makes me more aware and defensive > anyways if you guys know that much why not teach i mean it share the knowledge .... i want to learn..