Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to buy things overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    Fee ur Govt. charges to process ur documents, and have a customs official look at box and say, "Yes indeed, those r things actually listed in invoice."
    ah...i see. but then...its apparently new regulations that there has to be an accompanying invoice....so im screwed then
    >>Insert something witty here<<

so how the credit card part go cause i am in jamaica and all i can see is that they want there local credit cards and i dont have a us based credit card so somebody clear that up for me please
    ***~~~VIRUS~~~***
    Popularity is a job; U work to get in and then work to stay in!!!!!
    Thank God i am famous DONT PLAYER HATE CONGRATULATE
    ASSOCIATES ARE FOR CONVENIENCE

Here's the lowdown on GlobalCourier for who wants to know. I have been using them for about 2 years now. Yearly membership is $JMD 1, 500. If you use their credit card, you are charged 5% of the total cost (including S&H, taxes etc.) of the item(s). If you shop from more than 1 site still 5% of the totals. Rates to ship here vary but their site has the weight to price details.

Also, aside from their ship rates, custom will charge for various items. Whilst PC items are custom free there is still a 2% cess. I find their only fault to be to not shop from ebay and occasionally not from Dell, but there are reasons. Dell for one is having an issue with freight forwarders. I can't get into it while posting from my phone. When I get PC access I'll continue and merge my posts.
    Last edited by ramesh; Aug 30, 2006 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Merged Multiple Posts
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Global courier I feel are on to some trickery. I start see crazy fees on my invoices and I believe they are just padding it to bleed me dry. Screw em all

It seems to me a way now for all to make it rich as once you settle in they start charging these fee i think i am going to limit the use of these courier as i think they read your invoice find out what it is and the price bieng sold for out here and pad the bill with these so call charges (if you get a bargain). Let me just say i do hope the government is getting the amount they are to get as i think the finance Ministry should be looking at these guys they are making a killing. Take for example i bought a processor amd sempron 3000+ 64bit am2 the company actually send 2 (which i eventually had to paid for) one was sent by normal post the other was priority mail i was charge (within the same week) 1500 for frieght, insurance and custom fee. The other arrive three days later and i was only charge for frieght and insurance of $600.00. What are thses extra charges for and if all item are group when shipping and they made a payment there must be a c78x form if you import (where is my copy?) i once ask and was told i am not priviledge to see there company business

look at this

Freight $ 9.00 = J$ 594.00
    Insurance $ 0.50 = J$ 33.00
    Customs Fee $ 13.66 = J$ 901.76
    Total $ 23.16 = J$ 1528.76

This is the cost to import a processor. Custom fee is not charge on each item on a c78x form it is for all the the items which are on the form so what if there are over 20 items on the c78 or is it that certain item are choosen to be charge.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Sep 1, 2006 at 07:40 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts

Global Couriers, 2 thumbs down and a middle finger..
    Their service to me is verrrry lousy. Wont be doing business there again.

I order simple stuff like dvds.. DVD's, priority mail at that. They gonna tell me i have to wait 1 -2 days before them order it..
    Why?
    Company Policy.......... that was the end of that.
    I dont know if the b!tch dem splurt gone wid my money.. i dont know/they dont know or cant track where the goods are until it "reach miami"... all i have is what they claim is a "receipt"

Its now been 10 days, and the way things seem i wont be getting it till day 15 - 20

Just for the record, the folks at Tara.. totally clueless. I've called quite a few times and asked if they have a credit card service and they said NO!
    They even asked around the room if we have anything like that...
    Last edited by Virus; Sep 1, 2006 at 08:17 AM.

My membership with Global ends this month. I might try Mailpac. I can sign up for only 6 months. At least their options flexibility cause I don't order that often. I ordered a messenger bag and a 1 gig thumb drive through Global. Got it 10 days time. That was ok ish to me. Shipping from the various companies is 3 days beats me though why Global needed another 7 days.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    Global Couriers, 2 thumbs down and a middle finger..
    Their service to me is verrrry lousy. Wont be doing business there again.

Look at this
    Freight $ 9.00 = J$ 594.00
    Insurance $ 0.50 = J$ 33.00
    Customs Fee $ 13.66 = J$ 901.76
    Total $ 23.16 = J$ 1528.76
    This is the cost to import a processor.
    I feel your pain indirectly! I had two friends, where one of them is a member of Global Couriers and went to order a few technology items and when they were to collect them a week later, they were told that were not even in Miami as yet and there's no way for them to track the item, as it hasn't received its destination as yet ---> CRAP!!! My friends created havoc in the store, cussing the representatives off! As a result, my friends had to wait 2 and 1/2 weeks, for a few items and when they got the bill with the items, they were charged some ridiculous fees ---> I believe the total you listed above is less than what they paid for Customs Fee! They once again cussed the representatives and got them to lower the fee a bit, not much difference in our eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by technoboy View Post
    My membership with Global ends this month. I might try Mailpac. I can sign up for only 6 months. At least their options flexibility cause I don't order that often. I ordered a messenger bag and a 1 gig thumb drive through Global. Got it 10 days time. That was ok ish to me. Shipping from the various companies is 3 days beats me though why Global needed another 7 days.
    Be happy that you are getting away from Global Couriers! Tell us how Mail Pac fair out, so we can see what we can do! Are you serious that you got two items from abroad in 3 days ---> ---> that's good! I think why Global Couriers take these longer shipping days, is that when the items reach Miami, they do everything possible for us to pay more when it reaches Jamaica ---> such as, change the box and fill it up with the foam!
    Need I go on and vent!
    "I don't procrastinate! I just manage my available time in an inefficient manner!"

Clearly the people who run global Courier ar not versed in the proper way to run a business. If you are cheating and treating your customers like crap, then eventually they wont deal with the company no more. I am going to cancel with them as their service sucks, customer service sucks and they too damn tief. Let me hear how Mailpac gwaan ?

@Jamaican_diva. No, I did not receive my items in 3 days. Got it in 10 which to me isn't that bad. What I meant is that, the companies I ordered from ebags.com and newegg.com I had used the 3 day shipping option, so I wondered why Global needed 7 days more to ship it to me. It probably depends on the time of the week whether close to weekend etc. Plus Global ships to Ja I think 3 days a week.