Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Which Database Do You Prefer

girldemsuga Guest

It's nice to know that there is a free Vesion of MS SQL Server, I would like to install it on My Laptop but i Have MS SQL Server 2000 and this seem to prevent me from installing MSDE.
    Will try it on a different machine

you can install them both you just have to give it an instance name like MachineName\MsSql
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

girldemsuga Guest

I Downloaded the Oracle XE and have been testing it on my Laptop, i have hear about Oracle for a long time but to tell you the truth, I am not Impressed.
    Maybe it is because it is the XE version but i find administrating the database through a web interface to be slow and lacking.
    I was thinking that there was be some kind of application that would ship with the DB Engine which would make life easier to eeven run a simple SQL query and if the is what ORACLE has to compete with MySQL, they better pull back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by girldemsuga View Post
    I Downloaded the Oracle XE and have been testing it on my Laptop, i have hear about Oracle for a long time but to tell you the truth, I am not Impressed.
    Maybe it is because it is the XE version but i find administrating the database through a web interface to be slow and lacking.
    I was thinking that there was be some kind of application that would ship with the DB Engine which would make life easier to eeven run a simple SQL query and if the is what ORACLE has to compete with MySQL, they better pull back to the drawing board.
    You have to get third party managers for that. Toad is one I have been hearing about. However, you do know that the XE version probably cannot be used in a commercial environment?

The Oracle XE version was built for development and commercial purposes (Oracle Database 10g Express: Not just for learners). It was built on the same codebase as the Oracle 10g RDBMS. Yes it is somewhat 'stripped' down - but if you are new to Oracle then XE is a good start. You also don't need a third party administration because the web based administration tool is simple and intuitive - this was deliberate with target audience in mind. In the past TOAD was an alternative to Oracle enterprise manager but with Oracle 10g's new web based administration interface that will change - it is more powerful and comprehensive compared to previous releases.

If you are new to Oracle then register on the Oracle XE forums and get to know the features. Read the documentation and tutorials - my favourites are the 2 Day DBA and 2 Day Developer.

Oracle XE ships with Application Express (APEX) which is accessible via the browser. With application express you can build and run queries in addition to complete web applications using the dynamic interface. It is quite simple and powerful.

Oracle's focus is not to compete with MySQL because frankly there is no competition - (maybe Oracle Berkley DB). The XE was developed to introduce students and developers to the platform without the hassle of administration and other dba related tasks. Don't be fooled though - the limitations (processor, memory, no. of instances) are insignificant to companies who need a stable and reliable product that they can easily scale up to.

A more appropriate comparison might be with SQL Server 2005 Express. I have both installed on my computer in addition to MySQL, Firebird and SQLite. All have features that I like and dislike. They all are suited to some purpose - in my case I work with Oracle databases everyday so that's my bias.

girldemsuga Guest

digerati, i will take your work for it and keep trying it out but to me, the web Administration Interface is a big draw bag.

just roll your own, can you try using OracleProvider for .NET and tell me if it can connect. If it does then you can write your own tools...
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein