Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Database Do You Prefer

girldemsuga Guest

Post Which Database Do You Prefer

I was just wondering what databases do other people use?
    My personal favourite is MySQL 5.0 and i sometime write program for MS SQL Server.
    If it's a simple application, i might use MS Access but i hate it. Reason being that there are not much i can do with it in terms of SQL, it just the basic:
    Select, Update, Insert and DELETE.
    I am looking around for alterative to access which does require me to install a database engine on clients machine. (An alternativve which might work is SQLite but dont yet understand how to connect to it).

I'm an Oracle DBA so most naturally I prefer Oracle. I've also use MSSQL Server 5 Express, MySQL 4/5 and Firebird 1.3. An alternative to access could be Oracle 10G XE which is a scaled down version of Oracle 10G. You also have the Oracle Instant client which is really simple to install/configure.
    OS X/Ubuntu

SQL Server 2000

used MySql and Access but not much.
    never used Oracle, but i like it (too expensive and not targeted to small business - which i involved with)
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

oracle and mssql has a personal free desktop edition, you could try those.

girldemsuga Guest

Quote Originally Posted by digerati
    I'm an Oracle DBA so most naturally I prefer Oracle. I've also use MSSQL Server 5 Express, MySQL 4/5 and Firebird 1.3. An alternative to access could be Oracle 10G XE which is a scaled down version of Oracle 10G. You also have the Oracle Instant client which is really simple to install/configure.
    Are you saying that oracle somehow can have a database contained within a single file like access as i would not need to install the oracle server if i'm developing a simple application for a client?

If you're into .NET you can try NexusDB.

MySQL is a free DB which can easily replace MSSQL. I found it quite robust with minimal faults, It would also fall in the same category.

However, preferences depends on what you will be using the DB for; For mission critical apps/data companies will opt for more robust and upscale DB such as oracle, informix,etc.

Personally, I go for opensource DB. I found MySQL perfect for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by fresh_ja View Post
    MySQL is a free DB which can easily replace MSSQL. I found it quite robust with minimal faults, It would also fall in the same category.

However, preferences depends on what you will be using the DB for; For mission critical apps/data companies will opt for more robust and upscale DB such as oracle, informix,etc.

Personally, I go for opensource DB. I found MySQL perfect for my needs.
    i'm a mysql user as well. for every single web application that i make. i've found things that really grind my gears but htere's always a work around. mysql is a pretty smart database about it replacing .net i'm not so sure.. when it comes to extremely large db volume management i see mssql pushed to the forefront. for example cash register systems for pharmacies and thing they generally run on mssql which they say its the most sucure.

In my opinion Oracle is the BEST database out there hands down (but as said before is not geared towards small/medium businesses). My personal preference is SQL Server 2000/2005 and I am starting to replace access with SQL Server Express.

I absolutely hate informix but think that firebird and MySQL are pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Blunty Killer View Post
    If you're into .NET you can try NexusDB.
    Why you recommend NexusDB for .Net?

I would have thought that SQL Express/SQL Server 2005 would have been better options seeing the tight integration with .Net
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Aug 24, 2006 at 05:27 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5