Thread: access database on a server

keroed1 Guest

Default access database on a server

is it possible for em to use my windows application access a database on a server?

Of course. But in which langage your windows application is implemented (C++, C# or C) and which database do you want to access (SQL Server, Oracle, MySql, Access, Versant...)

Rakoun
    /°\
    Pa konèt mové, dèyè do sé on péyi.

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoun
    Of course. But in which langage your windows application is implemented (C++, C# or C) and which database do you want to access (SQL Server, Oracle, MySql, Access, Versant...)

Rakoun
    /°\
    i am writing it in C# and i am accessing an access database

Quote Originally Posted by keroed1
    i am writing it in C# and i am accessing an access database
    Generally speaking when you talk about remote server activities (i.e. your app on one machine, your Access database on a different machine somewhere out on the Internet) Access is out of the running. This is more the realm of MS SQL, MySQL etc. Being completely honest, with the right set up YES you could get it working [with some coding gymnastics] but you really don't want to... not with an Access db.

The Access application works extremely well as a front end to SQL server but its native file format needs to die a horrible death - at least where Internet use is concerned.

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham
    Generally speaking when you talk about remote server activities (i.e. your app on one machine, your Access database on a different machine somewhere out on the Internet) Access is out of the running. This is more the realm of MS SQL, MySQL etc. Being completely honest, with the right set up YES you could get it working [with some coding gymnastics] but you really don't want to... not with an Access db.

The Access application works extremely well as a front end to SQL server but its native file format needs to die a horrible death - at least where Internet use is concerned.
    lol lol my next alternative was a website on my server that they would log onto to register there appilcation. after they have registered and its done successfully i would then make the changes to the application on their machine well thats what i toying with at the moment