Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AT&T comes to Ja US giant gets fourth cellular licence

Default Re: AT&T comes to Ja US giant gets fourth cellular licence

Actually Cingular is number 1 now because of the buying of AT&T. News item

Cingular, currently the nation's No. 2 cellular service provider, is paying about a 27 percent premium to shareholders of AT&T Wireless, the nation's No. 3 wireless phone provider. Vodafone, which had recently raised its offer to $38 billion, dropped out of the bidding Tuesday. The deal would make Cingular the largest wireless carrier, ahead of Verizon Wireless, with about 46 million subscribers.

Both Cingular and AT&T Wireless have networks that run on the global system for mobile communications (GSM) standard, the same standard that most networks in Europe are run on.

One can only hope... Perhaps an increase in competition, new services, cheaper mobile phones, clearer reception, new technology...?
    i beg to HOPE too, but before we hope for things like
    They should also be able to provide the Ja public with cheaper than the rest rates.
    lets do like MiTiHiE, and acknowledge:
    1. Yes they are the largest
    2. Technology seems upto scratch
    3. They JUST SPENT $300 mil

probably give it sometime, before we get too excited
    Lthough this is a good thing since competition is good but arent we jumping the gun here. I mean they might take up to a year to even start their services in Ja.

[quote author=MiTcHiE link=board=1;threadid=3150;start=0#msg29133 date=1077892344]
    Now what i want is a Landline Competitor for C&W.
    [/quote]

I agree wit u Mitchie. I waitin for the day when it happens. Out of curiosity, are there any plans to introduce new landline competitors?

[quote author=MiTcHiE link=board=1;threadid=3150;start=0#msg29169 date=1077921299]
    Actually Cingular is number 1 now because of the buying of AT&T. News item

Cingular, currently the nation's No. 2 cellular service provider, is paying about a 27 percent premium to shareholders of AT&T Wireless, the nation's No. 3 wireless phone provider. Vodafone, which had recently raised its offer to $38 billion, dropped out of the bidding Tuesday. The deal would make Cingular the largest wireless carrier, ahead of Verizon Wireless, with about 46 million subscribers.

Both Cingular and AT&T Wireless have networks that run on the global system for mobile communications (GSM) standard, the same standard that most networks in Europe are run on.

[/quote]

I didn't mean the largest national (US) provider, I meant worldwide. Europe and Asia are still MUCH bigger markets than the US.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=1;threadid=3150;start=0#msg29271 date=1078080399]
    I didn't mean the largest national (US) provider, I meant worldwide. Europe and Asia are still MUCH bigger markets than the US.
    [/quote]

Sorry bout that. Here is the INFO u needed.

World
    These are the world's largest mobile phone companies, by number of subscribers. The primary cellular technology used by each carrier is shown in parentheses.

China Mobile (GSM) - 137.1 million
    Vodafone (GSM) - 125.3 million
    T-Mobile (GSM) - 87 million

United States
    These are the largest mobile phone companies in the United States, by number of subscribers. The primary cellular technology used by each carrier is shown in parentheses.

Verizon Wireless (IS-2000) - 36 million
    Cingular (IS-136, GSM) - 23 million
    AT&T Wireless (IS-136, GSM) - 21.9 million
    Sprint PCS (IS-2000) - 19.3 million
    Nextel (iDEN) - 12.3 million
    T-Mobile (GSM) - 12.1 million

Note: AT&T Wireless has agreed to be purchased by Cingular. The deal, subject to regulatory approval, is expected to close in late 2004 or early 2005. The new Cingular will leapfrog Verizon Wireless to become the largest wireless carrier in the U.S.

[quote author=Ramesh link=board=1;threadid=3150;start=0#msg29109 date=1077844410]
    One can only hope... Perhaps an increase in competition, new services, cheaper mobile phones, clearer reception, new technology...?
    [/quote]
    I did a 1 year stint with Digicel when from date of inception and I can tell you for a fact that clearer reception is the hardest thing to come by because of Jamaica's terrain.

PS. Don't tell anyone, Digicel has a projected telephone call rate sheet and it goes down to about $1.00 a min in the next 3 years.

Bellsouth is some how apart of the aquisition of AT&T, I am almost sure of it.

Anyways, I think it is not a wise investment for any company at this time to make initial investments in Mobile Telecomunications industry in Jamaica. Should a company do this, they will not get any marked profit in this partially saturated market. As far as telecommunications go, I would advice an investment in Land lines and Data solutions for home and business users. Then should they be successfully in that market then persons may consider trading in or another mobile entity.

Consumer wise another competitor will drive the prices down, but for how long? The dollar still devalues so eventually prices must go up until this stablizes that is something you must accept as a consumer. So if you switch now when stabilization is not guarranteed, then you would have simply wasted your money.

From the government's this is a great idea. They couldn't careless if this company booms or fails. The fact is that the company is paying for their license. MORE MONEY IN THE COFFERS. In addition to the the inital taxes that this company must pay! Ofcourse the government loves the idea. Anyone would. I just hope the when they do get the money in FULL again I don't hear about ANOTHER INTECH FUND SCANDAL that I am gonna have to pay back for out of my tax.

Nas from prior experience the land line industry is dead. It costs approximately 4-5 times more money to install and maintain landline technology compared to cellular technology.

Cable and Wireless are increasing their prices because of this. You may want to bring up the point that competion would drive prices down but you must also remember that Jamaica has only 3 million people.

It would not be feasible to have another company providing landline services to consumers, maybe to corporate customers yes but not retail customers. In that sector the money is just not their to be made.

[quote author=Nastrodamus link=board=1;threadid=3150;start=15#msg29632 date=1078413071]
    Anyways, I think it is not a wise investment for any company at this time to make initial investments in Mobile Telecomunications industry in Jamaica. Should a company do this, they will not get any marked profit in this partially saturated market. As far as telecommunications go, I would advice an investment in Land lines and Data solutions for home and business users. Then should they be successfully in that market then persons may consider trading in or another mobile entity.
    [/quote]

- This is by far and large the WISEST thing I've read throughout the ENTIRE thread.

Jamaica doesn't NEED another Cellular license contendor. Ok, I admit that I'm happy for the 300 million for the Gov't (they need every red cent they can hang on to). Listen to Nastrodamus people. You are ALL missing the point!! Haven't you already learned about Jamaica's two party policy? Jamaica is too far small a political demarcation to host more than two parties of ANY kind of macroscopic interest!

We have two major political parties: JLP & PNP.
    We have two major television stations: CVM & TV-J
    We have two major cellular giants: CWJ & Digicel
    We have two major Universities: UWI & Utech
    We have two major Software developers: MCS & CCS
    We have two major hardware merchants: Fujitsu ICL & Intcomex

- BUT -

We have only ONE true broadband Internet provider: CWJ
    We have only ONE good Land Line telephone provider: CWJ

Have you forgotten the rule of the third party in Jamaica? They always fail or fall by the wayside. Look at Centennial!!

The market demographic is TOO SMALL FOR A FOURTH MAJOR CONTENDOR!! This is OVERKILL!! One of two things is going to happen with AT&T coming into the market place for cellular service:

1 - They will either fail miserably
    2 - They will force one of the other contendors out of it for good, most likely the weakest one.

Let me re-iterate these fine words of wisdom:

[quote author=Nastrodamus link=board=1;threadid=3150;start=15#msg29632 date=1078413071]Should a company do this, they will not get any marked profit in this partially saturated market. As far as telecommunications go, I would advise an investment in Land lines and Data solutions for home and business users.[/quote]

Now this is a guy who truly understands how a macroscopic market operates! AT&T should be investing in BroadBand licensing, not cellular technology! That's where the REAL money is!!

Talking about saturated markets....

Lets take a look at the cayman islands..

A country about the size of one of jamaicas parishes...

Now they are in partly the same situation that we are in, at least in terms of telecoms...

These people have CWJ which was a monopoly at one time and had to have the monopoly taken apart by request of the people, just like us...

now... The Cayman Islands have as cellular providers:
    1. CWJ TDMA and GSM
    2. Digicel (which opened recently)
    3. AT&T (which is also opening up there)

Now if they are a country with about 50 thousand people total... and all these companies are opening up cell services there... then u might want to reconsider just how saturated our market is :P