Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Microsoft operating system will be radical change from XP

Default Re:Next Microsoft operating system will be radical change from XP

[quote author=Chris link=board=5;threadid=312;start=0#2321 date=1039486556]
    c'mon CKnight, the typical user doesn't have a clue what's a device much less what's an IDE cable or a partition. We may be able to appreciate these terms and concepts because some of us live & breathe technology (based on the time of day that some members here post discussions ;D ). We must not forget that the typical user/client doesn't care much for technology, they just want to get the job done so for them a C: D: is exactly what they want and it works well for them.
    [/quote]

Though I still hold the belief that Linux is not truly harder, just different, I will yield to the masses on this point and not debate it any further.

You can all go ahead and believe in Sanata Clause, I wont tell you that it's physically impossible.
    http://sucs.swan.ac.uk/~cmckenna/hum...anta/dead.html

Here is an interesting twist to the conversation. What do you think CKnight?

http://linux.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa120602.htm

[quote author=jamrock link=board=5;threadid=312;start=0#2346 date=1039659761]
    Here is an interesting twist to the conversation. What do you think CKnight?

http://linux.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa120602.htm
    [/quote]

I think the author is confused. What is the point of the article? Is he saying Linux is a clone? Is he saying that Linux will go the same route that microsoft and other proprietary software developers have taken and if so, why is he mentioning the LSB? Isn't that just countering his own point? Is he saying that they're ineffective? I say no mention of that.

Anyway, let me try to respond to his points.

- Firstly, it seems almost ridiculous to say that Linux is a windows clone. Yes, you do have a sort of windows like organization of tools and tasks within some popular desktops, but that was done not to flatter microsoft, but to give users a look and feel that they were comfortable with. It's all part of the grand plan to push windows off of desktop machines without the user having too much of a shock with this new OS.

- "... I just think that a group of people creative enough to build a Linux distribution for the masses should also be creative enough to present it in a new way.
    "

Is he new to Linux? It has been done in other ways. The windows 'emulation' as he calls it, is just another form to present what Linux has to offer. So you have a "Control Panel" like tool in Xandros. So what? They're has always been and most likely always will be "drakeconfig". The user has a choice.

- His last too stanzas are self-contradicting so I won't bother to comment.

As an aside; didn't microsoft steal their 'look and feel' from IBM and Apple?

When tief tief from tief God laugh.

i'm shutting my mouth on this one :-X

I don't know.

I have noticed a trend towards making Linux more like Windows. The argument has always been that companies don't want to re-train their staff, so they need an interface that users are familiar with.

This make sense.

On the other hand, some techies like to have something which is different and technically superior. They don't want Windows. They want something better and more innovative.

Will we end up with a simple GUI interface for users and a more complex command line for techies?

Will we use the GUI at the desktop and the command line at the server?

Will techies have to compromise if the business community is to embrace Linux?

Some say that X Windows is a security risk. They stick to the command line when it comes to servers.

What do you guys think?

: I'm glad for windows {as much a problem as it is} - I dont have to train 40 people doing simple word processing a new way to point and click - most people find it hard to adjust to new shortcut keys and interfaces. So everyone I guess is leaning toward a familiar look - makes life easier and productivity time is not stalled :-\ - makes sense that everyone is copying from each other... The user benefits in the end which is the whole point 8)

it is a lot easier to click on setup.exe (if autorun doesn't start) and choose next, next, next.
    This is changing.
    Linux is moving towards one click installation.
    read my lips
    "As Broadband becomes a commodity the rules WILL change"
    you will understand in time

8) We already understand the rules will change - but no one expects microsoft or linux O.S. to stay the same forever... As things change - just as in nature - the companies and leaders will adapt - new programmers will come and go - there might even be a shock to the O.S. world with a new O.S. - who knows - point is nothing will stay the same and everyone will strive to be the best - never underestimate anyone or anything - with that said - I believe linux will get very far in the coming years - but those who have adjusted to microsoft O.S. (outside of techies) wont be able to keep up - so linux is the o.s. of the new generation and windows is what keeps us going for now until the time of change.

You should all admit that you would be nothing if some of you didn't encounter windows - it made change in your life - seeing it was crappy made you know that better was out there or that the limitations were not pressed - but one way or another you should be glad you encountered windows.

Lets just wait and see what change microsoft will present with this "radical change from XP" then look if linux follows or makes a different path... - That is what i'm waiting for... :-X

Vermanucci,

I agree with you.

I don't know if Windows is all that bad. I know of some very stable environments. My big issues with Windows are price and security. If the new "Get secure and stay secure" initiative works, I will have one issue with Windows.

I tend to use task specific servers. I don't run database applications on the domain controller, etc. I just cannot afford to use Windows 2000 on every server.

I need Linux if I am to remain legal and avoid lawsuits with Microsoft. I will use Linux for every server that doesn't need an application that is only supported on Windows.

I just haven't had the time yet to look at Open Office or Star Office.

With all that has been said about Microsoft vs Linux what must be remembered is that at the end of the day it is what the user chooses "enmass" that will be the winner!!

If 80% of users choose linux and 20% choose windows then linux wins !! as simple as that!

Yes there will always be the few of us who choose to use different OSes !

Will there be a day when we are "angry" at linux as we are today at microsoft ??