Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Microsoft operating system will be radical change from XP

Default Next Microsoft operating system will be radical change from XP

Longhorn - Sliced Bread Anyone

:-\
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...nghorn29.shtml

I haven't heard much regarding Microsofts hype about this O.S. Will it be like the XP hype?

Default Re:Next Microsoft operating system will be radical change from XP

Sounds interesting, I think they will steal more fratures/look from linux and OS X. I can wait to see this new os, I hope they learn from XP and lock down on security so it won't endup like the pre-mature release that XP got.

Virtual desktops anyone?

: Virtual Desktops exist in the XP powertoys - but i never seem to use it... Anyon mind tellin me a use for it? - for me Icons on the destop are a distraction and what a greater distraction than multiple desktops - more to manage - i will stick to 1 plain desktop. :

even though gates and company forces people to upgrade and sends out buggy systems one thing is for sure windows is easier to use.A friend of mine from the Us told me how Indians develop good looking software,but the software tend to have subtle bugs ,guess what looks and ease of use sell software and up to redhat 7.0 linux is still to complex for the average home user

: Redhat Linux is not for everyone, there are simplier and more user freindly versions of linux - but the skill you'd obtain from using redhat is then lost. Microsoft makes u XP (Xperience Problem) from 1 O.S. family...

[quote author=jrcdba link=board=5;threadid=312;start=0#2297 date=1039450565]
    even though gates and company forces people to upgrade and sends out buggy systems one thing is for sure windows is easier to use.A friend of mine from the Us told me how Indians develop good looking software,but the software tend to have subtle bugs ,guess what looks and ease of use sell software and up to redhat 7.0 linux is still to complex for the average home user
    [/quote]

Actually, Linux is not harder to learn or use. What's difficult is changing the mindset of an individual who has grown accustomed to doing things in the sick, twisted way that windows is set up to moving over to the power and elegance of a Unix based system.

Let me give an example:

-Drive specifications.

A person using windows and nothing else (until told otherwise) will always have the impression that a hard drive has "C:" and your CD-ROM has "D:" carved in somewhere within the drive, they are unaware that this is just how microsoft decided to assign partitions. It is misleading and totally unnecessary.

Under Linux, a person learns from the start that a file system is set and referred to based on how many drives you have and how many partitions are on said drives.
    "/dev/hda1" tells me that firstly, I'm accessing a device (dev), secondly, it tells me I'm accessing the first drive on the IDE cable (hd'a'), thirdly, it says I'm accessing the first partition on that drive (1).

Is this harder to learn? No. What's hard is moving from a world where you are used to the ambiguity and uncertainty of "C:" to a world where you have all the information given for you to decide what you want to do with it.

Actually, Linux is not harder to learn or use. What's difficult is changing the mindset of an individual who has grown accustomed to doing things in the sick, twisted way that windows is set up to moving over to the power and elegance of a Unix based system.
    Not too sure about that CKnight.

I use both. I agree that a new mind set is needed with Linux. I agree that using Linux makes one understand more about computers.

However, it is a lot easier to click on setup.exe (if autorun doesn't start) and choose next, next, next. I have seen some small companies use Windows NT for several years without the need for a full time I.T. support person.

I must say, however, that I have learnt so much of what is happening behind the scenes from Linux. It has really made me a better Windows 2000/NT network administrator.

Will the average user feel comfortable using Linux as it is today? Perhaps not. I think that Xandros is a step in the right direction, however. It is a move towards putting a friendly face on Linux.

Remember that the average user will never acquire your level of computing knowledge.

If we waited on everyone to learn unix - half of the people who are now facinated with comps would still think gaming on atari rocks.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=5;threadid=312;start=0#2302 date=1039456498]Under Linux, a person learns from the start that a file system is set and referred to based on how many drives you have and how many partitions are on said drives.
    "/dev/hda1" tells me that firstly, I'm accessing a device (dev), secondly, it tells me I'm accessing the first drive on the IDE cable (hd'a'), thirdly, it says I'm accessing the first partition on that drive (1).

Is this harder to learn? No. What's hard is moving from a world where you are used to the ambiguity and uncertainty of "C:" to a world where you have all the information given for you to decide what you want to do with it.
    [/quote]

c'mon CKnight, the typical user doesn't have a clue what's a device much less what's an IDE cable or a partition. We may be able to appreciate these terms and concepts because some of us live & breathe technology (based on the time of day that some members here post discussions ;D ). We must not forget that the typical user/client doesn't care much for technology, they just want to get the job done so for them a C: D: is exactly what they want and it works well for them.