Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft access

Default Re:Microsoft access

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=10;threadid=3131;start=0#msg29241 date=1078023144]
    CKnight's Solution (Cont'd)
    Whatever solution you eventually roll with, I wish you best of luck!
    [/quote]

I started to wonder where the thumbs-up emoticon came from.

You can add images to your Access database. I know, because I've done this myself for a Jewellery catalogue. You have to create a column that's set as OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) object.

In the form that you will set up, you can use a "bound object frame". Set the properties to stretch.

Once you set up the form, all you have to do then is to Drag n' Drop the image into the placeholder. Simple?

I will try to do all the above listing.

Xeno i just wish i could get you to help me now. Because i need to make this database do alot more stuff cause i really wanna impress the examiners and get a better grade than last year ("E" ) dem jus dida fight me out i think. I am gonna try the picture thing wen i go back to work on that piece of work but currently i have another database to do to hand in to cambridge so im sorta bogged down with work right now. But at least i finished one question which was a simple trace table.
    And i know very little about VB but i want to learn though

Xeno, i have done third normal form... as a matter of fact we learned that topic today and we have been doing relational databases for about 2 classes now.
    Arite i really want some help with this permissions thing though and i was wondering if i could get a contact number or something for you and/or cknight so i could link you for more help.
    I would do all that you guys have suggested but the codeing isnt something i can do myself so thats the only problem.

Thanx for the help peeps

Just to add my 2 cents: I have 2 suggestions to make :

(1) In real world apps, its generally not a good idea to store images in a database field (ie BLOBs, etc). Storing them in your tables will cause database bloat and also slowdown data access.

It is better to store the filename of the image in the table and then in another place (e.g. another table, XML file, ini file) store the path(s) to your image files. It is good to store several paths to your images so that if it doesn't find the image in one place it can find it in another. This method will allow you to offload your images to a CD ROM or other storage devices which the users can simply pop in an have the program find the images.

(2) Implementing security:
    I recommend the following structure that has worked for me:

Table 1: User table
    -------------------
    RecID (integer)
    Username (character)
    Fullname (character)
    Address (memo)
    Email (character)
    Locked (boolean)
    ... etc

Table 2: Permissions table
    -------------------------
    RecID (integer)
    Permission (character)

eg:-
    RecID Permission
    ===== ========
    1 AUTOPARTS_ADD
    2 AUTOPARTS_EDIT
    3 AUTOPARTS_DELETE
    4 CAR_ADD
    5 CAR_EDIT
    6 CAR_DELETE
    7 ADMIN

Table 3: UserPermissions table
    -----------------------------
    RecID (integer)
    UserID (integer) ---> link to recod in User table
    PermID (integer) ----> linked to record in Permissions table

eg:-
    RecID UserID PermID
    ===== ===== ======
    1 1 1
    2 1 2

This will allow a user (with RecID=1) have permission to add and edit auto parts.

Setting up the tables this way will allow you to quickly add new permissions to your app. If you had created a field for each permission (as previously suggested) it would mean modifying your database structure each time you add a new permission to your app (which would also add additional work when upgrading your users to newer versions of your app).

In your app you would then create a function/class that will return true/false if a user has permission to a particular option. Eg:

Public Boolean hasPermission (String user, String perm) {
    // Check 3 tables to see if user has permission
    If userhaspermission
    return true
    else
    return false;

}

The class/function would then be used throughout your app using code such as:

menuOptionAddAutoPart.enabled =
    (hasPermission(currentUser(), PERM_AUTOPART_ADD));

Where currentUser() is a class/function returning the username of the user that is currently signed on
    and PERM_AUTOPART_ADD is defined globally as "AUTOPART_ADD" somewhere in your app.

Thanks RobyG, that's an even better suggestion. Always design the database to be open-ended.

That'd be really cool, if only he had the time to implement either solution. It's March, so I'm not certain he will have time to get it out by April... and I know Cambridge - most unforgiving with time! :-\

To what degree of help with the programming are you referring to Skillo? The ENTIRE thing or just specific parts? If it's not the latter, I don't think any of us will have the time on our hands to commit to such a daunting task. You have to remember that RobyG and Cknight are professionals already tied to their occupations. So time is not necessarily a resource any of us may have to use thus wantonly. Specific problems we can help with. But programming for the entire project, is a whole new ballgame. We'd be biting off more than we could chew.

So Ask wisely.

[quote author=RobyG link=board=10;threadid=3131;start=0#msg29602 date=1078355338]
    (1) In real world apps, its generally not a good idea to store images in a database field (ie BLOBs, etc). Storing them in your tables will cause database bloat and also slowdown data access.
    [/quote]

storing the images in the database won't slow down data access by any considerable amount. especially when indexs are being used.
    main problem is the database will grow faster than you can throw a fan at it, making backups more of a pain.

That's true Owen..my mistake, nowadays storing images in the database doesn't really slow down access because of optmization and indexing. In the old days the way some desktop databases were implemented it would have been problematic...

In terms of using my suggestion as posted previously...I don't really expect that level of programing for a school project/assignment....it was just for informational purposes.

The solution by RobyG look tuff but it goin be hard to do. In such a short time but i am having even more problems and this time i am now begging and pleading for help.

Ok in A level we have 2 different things to do.
    1) a computer project which is what i asked you about microsoft acccess
    2) 3 questions which 1 including db management.
    - Question 1 - DB Management
    - Question 2 - Programming
    - Question 3 - ??

Now somebody caught a look at question 3 and heard that it is a programming question of which i have no prior knowledge except for qbasic... but anyway, i am heard i have to make a calculator using a high level language. And i would really like some help in that. I am not sure as yet though but by about monday i will get the question though.

Thanx for help though people. Gone back to do more work.

Regular compacting of the database will keep the size to a minimum.